Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP for IPSC ....

skid2964

What is the best bullet weight powder combination for a non-compensated IPSC handgun?

meaning, heavy bullet/fast powder? light bullet/slow powder? heavy bullet/slow powder? etc etc .... what provides the most manageable recoil impulse?

I would like suggestions for some good loads in a stock barrel Glock 21 also if anyone has any ...

Way too much to answer in one post. The good news is the answers are already posted all over here. The bad news is each person's definition of 'best' varies, so you get to find out for yourself what 'best' means.

I've been helping a bud develop .45 loads recently. Based on most of the info on this board (which you should search and read the amazing wealth of .45 load info :) ), most folks are using heavy-ish/fast.

For the Glock 21, you probably want a 200 or 230gr jacketed bullet of some sort (FMJ, CMJ, JHP), loaded with something like Clays/TiteGroup/N310/N320.

As shred says, this is a little bit of a nebulous question, so... My buddy seems to be liking the 230/Clays combo, for whatever that's worth...

Heavy Bullet / fast powder is usualy the combo favored in non-comped / Limited pistols. Dave (XRE) pointed out the most popular combos.

Something like a 200gr West Coast plated and Tight group, might be the most economical, competetive combo.

I agree so far but I would suggest WW Super Target as a usable powder.

After 20 years of shooting/loading 45's...I like WW Super Target best. Clean, meters easily, economical and low variations in velocity.

I would through out 230gr bullets with either clays or Vit n310. TGO has been saying that in a NON compensated gun you are better off with a heavier bullet and with a cmp'd gun a lighter bullet. Thus far I have found that to work well. FWIW I have been shooting USPSA for 5 years now, and ALL of my guns are .45ACP.

My buddy seems to be liking the 230/Clays combo, for whatever that's worth...

I would be that buddy. :) In my experimentations, I like the feel of 4.0gr. Clays under a 230gr. bullet. It's a soft and quiet shooter that should be making major, but I don't have a Chronograph. Doesn't really count unless you measure out of your gun anyway. I bought some Titegroup to try recently with 200gr. bullets. From data I've seen, getting the velocity to make major with Clays is kind of pushing the limits of the powder (maybe, depends on the gun.) The Titegroup loads I tried (4.8gr. under Rainier 200gr. SWC) were LOUD and had a very snappy recoil. Haven't tried it with the 230gr. bullets yet. Once I decide on a 230gr. bullet to stick with and verify the velocity out of my barrel, I think Clays is going to be a keeper for me.

I've been using Rainier bullets for a long time, but I've been looking for a more cost effective solution. I don't like shooting lead because of all the smoke. I just got a sample pack of Precision coated bullets in, but haven't had a chance to load any up yet.

I agree so far but I would suggest WW Super Target as a usable powder.

After 20 years of shooting/loading 45's...I like WW Super Target best. Clean, meters easily, economical and low variations in velocity.

I could not agree more. Very "soft shooting" load. I like 4.8 grains with a 200 gr LSWC. It has worked great for many years.

I'm very, very new to reloading, so I've been using two loads a friend of mine loads for me:

Rainier 200 gr. RN- 4.2 Bullseye

Valiant 200 gr. LSWC- 3.9 Bullseye.

I like 'em both. Not to thread drift, but how do you know whether or not a powder burns fast or slow? Which category does Bullseye fall into? I have noticed that the 3.9 load tends to run cleaner in spite of following a lead bullet. We used to use the same lead bullet in front of 4.4 grains worth and it was dirty as homemade sin. Does that mean I'm not burning enough powder in the hotter loads and that all the fouling I'm getting is just unburnt powder?

I like 'em both.  Not to thread drift, but how do you know whether or not a powder burns fast or slow?

Consult a BURN RATE CHART!!! :)

Which category does Bullseye fall into?  I have noticed that the 3.9 load tends to run cleaner in spite of following a lead bullet.  We used to use the same lead bullet in front of 4.4 grains worth and it was dirty as homemade sin.  Does that mean I'm not burning enough powder in the hotter loads and that all the fouling I'm getting is just unburnt powder?

Bullseye is one of the faster pistol powders. You're driving the bullet harder with the larger charge, and this may be hitting a point where you're getting greater fouling. Depends on what kind of fouling as to what causes it. If it's just extra soot, it's probably because you're burning more powder...

pisgahrifle: The way to tell if a powder is fast burning or slow burning is by checking a powder burning rate chart or table. These can be found in most reloading manuals, such as the Speer, Hornady, or Lee manual.

Bullseye is listed as one of the fastest burning powders, usually second only to V V-N310

As for your question about fouling and lead bullets, IMHO the choice of powder and powder charges has less to do with the amount of fouling. Most lead bullet fouling, gunsmoke, residue (in my guns at least) seems to come from the bullet lubricant, and how hard-cast the bullet is.

If you can try different brands of lead bullets, you may find a brand that produces less of a mess with your earlier 4.4 grain Bullseye load.

Part of the fun :wacko: of reloading is finding out what combination of powder, primer and bullet works best for you in your gun.