Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

getting into 9mm major

Parrott14

Im getting started in loading 9mm major.  Ive been loading .40 and .223 for a few years now.  Im having a hard time finding a startig point for the 9mm major loads.  Im looking at using 115gn or 124gn Rainier Ballistic Bullets.  I use Titegroup for .40 but nit sure if the burn rate on it will work for the 9 major load.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks guys

Drew

You need a slower burning powder than TG for 9 Major.  Probably the most common choices are HS-6, Win Auto Comp, and VV 3N38.  A good jacketed bullet is also a better choice than plated.  Do a search in the forums using the terms 9 Major and one of the powders above and you'll have plenty to read.

Edited by tyler2you

17 minutes ago, tyler2you said:

A good jacketed bullet is also a better choice than plated. 

Coated bullets are becoming quite popular with open guys, too. These days, we all know more than one shooter that's abandoned Ranier or Berry's played bullets for coated ones... but JHP and FMJ projectiles certainly still seem to dominate the market.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Coated bullets are becoming quite popular with open guys, too.

I have seen more than one shooter have far more success with coated bullets than with plated Ranier or Berrys, but JHP and FMJ certainly still seem to dominate the market.

Good point--I recently tried some SNS 115 grain coated bullets and they worked well.  Only reason I went back to jacketed was because they left more gunk in the comp.

15 hours ago, Parrott14 said:

from everyone I've talked to,  pro shooters and industry people.  loads closer to major will make it run better and allow the comp to do its job.

I would imagine loads higher than 130PF would make it run better.  I also think that more gas equals better comp action.....

However, we're talking about running 9mm in a rifle.  I'm not certain, but I can't imagine that very much comp action is necessary in a 5lb rifle running 9mm.  Additionally, I'd be leery of running 9 major in a PCC....Aren't those things purely blowback? 

If it were me, I would get some slower powder and run safe book loads between 140-150PF.  There are plenty of powders that are capable of this.  

Just as an FYI - I have a 16" blow back PCC and Winchester white box (115 gr) chronos around 1400fps for a 160-ish power factor.    I've shot some 9mm pistol loads that are run about 140-ish pf in a 5" gun and get over 165pf in the 16" pcc.   I think that running 9mm open gun major loads would be hairy in a PCC and totally counterproductive.

Also, handloaded 115 grain bullets at 130 pf are a lot softer shooting than Winchester white box.    The comp seems to have an effect at 130pf as I've tried a couple different comps and without any comp and there is a slight but noticeable difference in the feel of the rifle.  Also, a comp that has holes in the side helps capture the times.  When i was using a Kaw Valley linear comp (which I liked) I had one match where I had to reshoot two stages because the timer wasn't capturing (last) shots.

Just to make sure it's clear, TiteGroup is about the most inappropriate powder that exists for 9 major loads.  TiteGroup is a very fast pistol powder that has blown up many guns with double charges.  If you even began to try and make major in 9mm you will be in the blowing up guns range very quickly.

There are piles of threads with proven 9 major loads on this forum.  Research them and get a feel for what actually works.  TiteGroup ain't it.  

On top of this you're shooting PCC and not open so major is pretty much irrelevant.  Appropriate major powders on the other hand are probably relevant.   

I don't shoot PCC, but I watched with interest at the East Coast Steel Challenge Championship.  Every PCC shooter on my squad, and the others I watched shot either soft factory, or bunny fart reloads.  Their carbines didn't move.  One woman on my squad shot loads so soft you could tap your foot waiting for it to get down to 35 yards.  I was astonished.

The only nut case shooting Major loads was me, in Open Pistol.  That was only because I had not had time to develop a Minor load that worked in my pistol.