Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to reload a Stock II/III like a boss

I'm so confused.

If you go back to the pictures referenced here 

then it looks like you can not remove metal from the area shown in figure 2. 

Somewhere this was probably clarified else MM would not have done it.

Other thing is I'm not sure that an email from Troy satisfies "SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation" per page 85 of the rulebook. Lots and lots and lots of guns would benefit from similar modification. If anyone is still in communication with Troy this would seem like a great thing for him to clarify in his USPSA mag column.

While you are at it, sweet talk him into letting you knock a sharp edge off of a trigger guard :) . 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I'm so confused.

...it looks like you can not remove metal from the area shown in figure 2. 

Somewhere this was probably clarified else MM would not have done it.

He phrased it so it sounded like figure 2 in little series of photos was illegal. You could only reshape the inside of the existing opening.

So I drew up the "figure 1/2/3" drawing and emailed it to him. His reply is included in that email exchange. He didn't see anything illegal in any of those photos.

Or what the SIG guys were doing.

The Sevigny Speedway is explicitly included, which turns a Glock into this:

(Recall how the back of the magwell used to be a straight plastic wall,  which people saw the need to invent a plug for)

IMG_0323.PNGIMG_0322.PNG

Edited by MemphisMechanic

That helps! Thank you. 

I do hope Troy does some sort of official clarification one of these days though. It seems like appendix D4 item 22.4 always confuses people, and when I asked my NROI instructor about making this type of mod to my CZ I was told that since it was not specifically authorized then it was not legal. My point being, it looks like you have found and shared the best answer, but the water might still be a little bit muddy. 

3 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

...it looks like you have found and shared the best answer, but the water might still be a little bit muddy. 

Precisely my own feelings as well. I'd like to see this explicitly worded in the rule book or at least in the NROI rule clarifications section of the USPSA website.

• 1 year later...

So with the new rules this is 100% no questions asked legal?

Magwell Opening
"No OFM or aftermarket external magwells. Internal magwell dimensions may be increased. Aftermarket external flaring is prohibited."

So with the new rules this is 100% no questions asked legal?

Magwell Opening
"No OFM or aftermarket external magwells. Internal magwell dimensions may be increased. Aftermarket external flaring is prohibited."

Yup. Full retard, limited 10 minor it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Correct. And with the SIG X5 and Glock Gen5’s coming with built-in magwells you don’t even get to feel guilty about it anymore.

I thought the X5 magwell was removable, and not allowed for production? That thing is huge...

33 minutes ago, eboadway said:

I thought the X5 magwell was removable, and not allowed for production? That thing is huge...

Correct. That is an external magwell. They include it so that the gun may be used for Limited minor/3 gun.