Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match with a sling requirement- Advice?

Spartan1911

So next weekend is my first 3 Gun match of the year and will also be my first one not at my home range. The posting says a rifle sling will be required for the stage, and as stated I've never shot a match with one before. I have both a Magpul M3 sling and a Troy 2 point at the house and was looking for opinions and advice.

I normally will run the Magpul in single point configuration, but all my previous sling experience is with the rifle as the primary weapon, which might not be the case here. Could run the Magpul sling in a two point conversion as well, as I have a attachment point just forward of the magazine bolted onto the rail.

In yalls experience is a sling match more focused on a means to carry the rifle or two sling up on a longer shot?

I have shot several matches that required slings (on shotgun and rifle). In my experience, a two point sling attached as close to either end of the firearm works better for keeping the firearm where you want it. I use the Proctor sling for both rifle and shotgun. It is super simple. By attaching to the ends of the firearm, it uses leverage to keep the firearm pulled close to the body with less flopping around. If you run a single point sling, be careful of dropping your rifle on the sling and running, it can flop around and hit you where you don't want it to (may take you to your knees). I typically sling my rifle or shotgun muzzle down on the right side, behind my back. It is easy for me to retrieve by grabbing the forearm and bringing it around with my right hand, transfer it to my left hand and pull my elbow down through the sling. I then acquire the grip of the rifle or shotgun with my right hand and shoulder the firearm (I am right handed). Be careful of your holstered pistol while doing this, I have seen people flip their pistol out of the holster un-slinging a long gun. I would recommend practicing slinging and un-slinging your long guns before the match, you don't want to get caught up in the sling or be sweeping everyone around with the muzzle as you un-sling. All of the matches that I have been to that required a sling were requiring it as a means to carry the firearm, you could use the sling as a means of shooting if you wanted, but it was primarily to transport the firearm.

Hurley

On 1/22/2017 at 1:51 PM, Spartan1911 said:

In yalls experience is a sling match more focused on a means to carry the rifle or two sling up on a longer shot?

i can't recall ever seeing anyone using a sling to steady their shooting in 3 gun, it's all been for carrying a long gun while shooting another gun.  it is, or certainly can be, awkward as crap, with holsters, shotgun caddies and the like getting in the way, so definitely play around at home to see what works and what doesn't for you.

They won't make you shoot using the sling. It's 100% transport. Single-point winds up being less optimal unless you have an SBR -- a stable two-point will do what you need. Anything from the padded Troys and super-adjustable Magpuls to the cheap nylon and paracord ones. As long as the thing doesn't physically break, it'll be viable. The biggest niceties are going to be removing and replacing the sling to the rifle (QD sockets are sweet), and disentangling yourself from the sling quickly.

As stated above, single points are a no go if you've got much ground to cover. I run a Vtac sling and I wouldn't have it any other way. Its invaluable to be able to cinch it tight for a long run and then release it quickly. But whatever you choose, spend two hours in the backyard getting to know it well before you take it to a match.

• 4 weeks later...
On January 24, 2017 at 8:59 PM, TonytheTiger said:

But whatever you choose, spend two hours in the backyard getting to know it well before you take it to a match.

Truth.  Our local matches nearly always require a sling on a least a couple stages.  You can really tell who practices it and who doesn't.  Smooth vs the proverbial monkey and football

I use a Proctor Sling (Way of the Gun sling) on my shotguns too. I drilled a hole in the stock of my Benelli Nova about an inch from the end of the stock (not the pad). I attach the sling on the stock first and then just loop the other end over my mag tube. I run a tube clamp, so the sling is pretty far out on the gun. I attach the sling to the factory side stock sling loop on my Benelli M1 and use the same style for the mag tube. It works great for me.

Hurley