Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw Time On A Plate Rack At 10yds

Flyin40

Recently I been working on seeing the dot and shooting pts. I have progressed quite a bit in last 3 months. I'm already better than I was when I quit shooting 5yrs ago. Basically I'm looking at starting to shave off time in other aspects of shooting. My draw and reload mainly. Theres other areas but its what I'm going to start working on.

I had shot a classifier match recently and figured something out. I shot 1 time through in open then again in Limited 10. My open draw times were around 1.5 and my limited draw times were around 1second and under. Funny thing was my limited runs where better than the open especially with pts on the first target.

I realized it came down to confidence. I KNEW that with the limited gun I would draw and shoot an A in 1sec but with open I wasn't sure. Theres other issues that someone helped me figure out recently (Flex) that my technique changed from practice to match.

Anyways today I decided to work on draws on a plate rack. Small target at

10 yds.

I was starting to hit the plate about everytime in 1.25 seconds. I started to gain some confidence.

I'm wondering what everyone else's time at 10yds???

15yds???

20yds???

25yds???

Flyin40

Been blazing at the last couple of matches and doing OK. Been trying to shoot fast. I have a match this Sunday and want to focus on shooting more accurately so will force myself to "see" more detail before the shot breaks. My draw times in competition range around 1.2. On the range a one of (as Brian calls it "the limits of human function") for me is a .67. Today I was practicing for 99-06 and found that my draw can vary greatly depending on what level I want to see. In a type 3 draw and fire it is about 1.2 / 1.3 if I do the type one (not at 10 yards though) I can regularly hit the .8s. Like you I would really like to find a level and stay somewhat consistant. 99-06 has two targets of the three targets at 30' and one at 40'.

When I was shooting plated for practice I used to keep track of my first shots, and average runs. Also running the bianchi par times.

If I remember I got my average 10y draw down around 1.05. Limited . Master.

No idea for Open, just started, but right now my "A" draw at 10y is around .95 average, and in Open it's over .20 slower. Open is a fun work in progress.

was playing with the plate rack today...was shooting at 25 and 30 yards..

was able to shoot one shot draws in 1.20 to 1.26 with a dot and 1.45 to 1.52 with double action production gun..

that was kind of fun.. :D

now THAT'S fast.

thanks..the times weren't cold..as I started to do this after shooting some groups and some 1 shot and 2 shot dot drills...

I am working on my production gun accuracy..and trying to get to know what I can do and not do right now with the gun...what was fun was trying to shoot WHO and SHO from the 20 yard line...that actually went really well..at least my confidence is high...

• 2 weeks later...

one shot and one hit on a 10 yard plate runs me about .95 to 1.05

when it comes time to shoot all six, it slows down a bit ~ 1.1 seconds.

I dont know if its because i have to take a few tenths more time to get a good solid grip on the gun to ensure 6 hits or what is going on?? anyone have a clue?

the fastest i can remember shooting the rack was 2.77 in production.

i shot it in 2.73 with my limited gun and major ammo.

i can probably shoot the 34 slightly faster now, but havent messed with it.

i might have to dust it off and give it a try. :D

Last time I did this, and I do a TON of plate rack drills, my draws were consistantly in the 1.1 range with Production gear, DA first shot. I found I could push it and get .9 hits 98% of the time. Best time to date is a 2.28 with Production gear. Like Jake, I'm going for a sub 2.

one shot and one hit on a 10 yard plate runs me about .95 to 1.05

when it comes time to shoot all six, it slows down a bit ~ 1.1 seconds.

I dont know if its because i have to take a few tenths more time to get a good solid grip on the gun to ensure 6 hits or what is going on?? anyone have a clue?

While I'm nowhere near those times, I've done quite a bit of practice shooting singles versus doubles or singles on multiple targets. What I noticed is that singles seem to go faster because a hit anywhere in the A zone or on the plate is acceptable, where when shooting doubles or transitioning I take a slit second more time to set up for the split or transition; i.e. I want to hit a specific part of the A to ensure a second A with the next shot.....

You guys are really fast.

I am not any near your speed or classification. My draw to a plate is in the 1.2-1.28 at 10yds after a few draws.

At 18-20 yds where I do most of my practice I am happy with a 1.3-1.4 average. Sometimes it is lower in the beginning but drops down pretty quickly.

What I noticed was that in my practices, If I was going to draw and shoot two plates or two shots on one plate my time would slow to 1.5-1.6.

So now when I practice my draws, I do about 10 to 15 singles then move to either two shots or two plates and try to get the times back down to 1.3 or lower range.

I am pretty confident about hitting plates at 10 yds but at the 15-20 I experience slower times with more misses. So I tend to concentrate on that range for my practices.

For S&Gs, I might end the practice with 5 or so draws on a plate at <3yds. I can get a sub second time after a try of two. I just wish I could do that time at 18yds.

Im only an A,

as far as slowing down to shoot six, i think its a mental thing

as far as speed for a c class shooter, i wasnt much slower, (if any), i just missed more ;)

some runs looked like i knew what i was doing...other times i let the speed-genie out of the bottle too soon.

shooting small plates, i feel your NPA is probably one of the most important things in getting a good draw.

Slowing down one thing (the draw) because you have a longer mental program to run ('shoot this, then that, then that..' vs 'shoot that') is a pretty well-documented psychology thing according to a psych friend, so I wouldn't stress about it much.

My 10yd surrender draw is pretty neglected right now.. in the 1.2-1.3 range typically. I can clear a rack consistently in 2.7-2.8 or push it down to 2.5 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys got me curious with draw times. I never have actually put a timer on it to see. I know I don't draw very fast but I am just barely in B class.

Today I put the timer on it. A Zone shot at 10 yards. I don't have a plate but I guess I could have drawn an 8" circle on the target.

I was shooting my Para Open gun with Cmore. I know I am faster with my Limited Para as I shoot iron sights a lot more than a dot. But I am trying to get into shooting Open more this year.

First shot cold from surrender position- 2.03. Yuk. After about a mag I was consistantly in the 1.40-1.45 range for an A. Best was a 1.19.

Then I started from hands relaxed position. I seemed to keep in the 1.25-1.30 range for an average. Best was a 1.01 (I don't recall seeing the dot, I think I just pointed).

I then went back to the surrender position thinking that this practice would improve my time there. Didn't happen, I am just faster from hands down.

I did learn some valuable things though. I do better looking at the target and bringing the gun up and dealing with the grip than looking at the gun for a better initial grip. I also do better with the Holster in a near vertical position slightly ahead of the hipbone. I also think I would do better with a holster having better adjustment than my 010.

So thanks to all for getting this post going and getting me to actually practice something I have known for a long time that I suck at. :blink:

About 1.2 to 1.35 consistently at 15 yds. 2.25 total run times. With new open gun. With Limited gun I am right at 1 sec. and same total time. I just started shooting open and am still getting used to the dot. I have to shoot at 15 yds, because of the range rules. Times at 25 yds are very similar in open, but will throw a few misses with iron sights. That nasty trigger in my Glock doesn't help either. Had one really good run at 2.08, but started to get trigger freeze. Seems to happen when I really push the speed thing.

Mike

Wow your doing 2.25 runs at 15 yards? That's better than I can do with a dot at 10 yards most of the time.

You've gotta be a hell of a shooter to do that........

Hopefully your coming to nats, you could seriously kick some ass with those skills if you did.....

Not going to nats. Did not think open gun would be ready in time. Too late to get a slot now. One of the few things the local range has is a plate rack. So we get a lot of time to practice. Still learning to use the dot instead of point shooting, like a limited gun. It's looks really good when a run just flows nice and steady. Wish I could shoot field courses that well.

Mike

I am thinking of trying to make the gator match in Louisiana in Sept. Probably one of the few matches I will shoot this year. Everytime I see Lee shoot in Houston it shows me I really need to start practicing.

Mike