Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I defected to CZ

obsessiveshooter

After shooting a G35 in Limited for years I've switched to a CZ TS for Limited.  I thought I'd share my experience...

The Glock was finicky for me.  Starting out I had a LOONG stretch of unreliability which I believe was due to having a bad match between my recoil spring, power factor, and a gen3 GR with an adapter for Gen4 which didn't quite make the adaptation adequately.  But, once that stuff got sorted out I was able to make A class with the gun and do okay.  I did have a case head separation that blew out my trigger and mag release, ending my match and hurting my hand a bit.  Weeks later another friend shooting his G22 with a TF sight block has a case head separation with the same results, but he ended up with a huge blood blister on his hand.  That sealed the deal for me. Not worth the risk.  I wasn't about to start reloading with new brass to keep that from happening again.   Plus, the glock trigger just plain sucks.  I had mine tuned pretty nice, about as good as they get.  Still sucked.  Mainly because there is too much movement.  I would watch in envy as guys with 2011s on hoser stages could rattle off ultra short splits in the tight arrays. 

Out of the box the CZ trigger is at about 2 lbs.  And, you can adjust the reset and takeup with an allen wrench.  I did that after my first match and the trigger needs no tuning, really.  If you're a tinkerer, you can buy souped up trigger parts but I personally think it's a waste of money.  I've only shot one match with the gun and my splits were blazing fast compare to my splits with the Glock. I always resisted the idea that the gun made a difference, mainly because of how well Coley or Vogel would do at Nationals.  But I can say now, the gun does make a big difference.  I can already tell that I'll be making some effortless gains due to the switch. 

As far as reliability and ammo, the CZ has run flawless.  It takes the same length ammo that my glock took.  The chamber is tighter, but in chamber checking my ammo I only find maybe 1 round in 100 that doesn't drop fully into the chamber, and while I set those aside for practice, they are so close that I think they'll run fine.   So, no loss in reliability and not much of an extra step in reloading.  Oh, and with base pads I can get 21+1, reliable, first day of use.  That is pretty sweet.  The metal CZ mags drop freely no matter if you are holding the pistol at an angle.  My glock wouldn't freely drop an empty mag if I was holding the pistol at an angle. 

I haven't shot the CZ enough yet to know how recoil management compares, but with the ultra high grip I could get on the Glock I could control the recoil down to maybe 1/4" rise or less on the front sight. Honestly, I think the grip you can get on a glock is more of an advantage than having a full dust cover on a steel frame, as far as recoil management goes. But, I've only shot my TS with the factory recoil spring and I'm not 100% used to the grip angle yet.  Once I get to shoot it with the 13lb recoil spring, I may feel like the glock is trailing in this category as well.  I'll post again once I get this sorted out.   

Anyways, all this is to say that if you are ambitious about making master or higher, don't make it any harder than it has to be.  There is a good reason to ditch the Glock for Limited division.  There are gains to be made with equipment, and while it's fun to do well with underdog equipment, it's more fun to shoot faster and more accurately.     

Had this happen in my Pre B CZ 85 about a week ago.  First time I've ever had it happen to me.  Absolutely no damage to the gun.  If you don't count the smudge of burned powder on/in the magazine and inside of the gun in the chamber area.  I didn't know anything was wrong till the next shot wouldn't go off, then my focus came off the front sight to the pistol.  I tried to rack the slide and the base/rim fell out on that table.  I took unloaded it and took the barrel out and the case pulled out with my finger tips after a couple of tries.  As someone said on another forum, "CZ's are built like a tank."

IMG_0313_zpsz3faq7cd.jpg

IMG_0320_zps5k7dj2hp.jpg

Obsessive >> Only problem I've had with my TS is when the extractor gets dirty. I've have had two failures to eject when that happens. I shot a CZ 75 Accushadow before this in production. I like the TS much better in Limited. Grip and point just feel better.

M14 >> good to see no damage... I hope I don't ever have to see it personally!

• 1 month later...

It took a month for the blood blister to heal. The blood blister was from what remained of my mag catch that bounced off my trigger finger and went into orbit. No fun. Casehead separations in plastic guns hurt. 

I Was ROing someone recently and they had a casehead separation like the pic above in a 2011 with the same results...... nothing other than a jam. 

Different...

I love my Glock. It is light and the grip proportions are great for me. Takes a while to adjust after shooting something else. Mine even came out of the box with an acceptable trigger.

There's a CZ on my "list", though. TS, or something like that. I will make sure to have a spare slide latch or two.