Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shopping list for a SP-01

aandabooks

Just agreed to buy a stock SP-01 and need to do some shopping at Cajun.  Just got done with a Lim Pro that now has a sweet trigger.  Have not yet ventured into CZs and this one does not have a decocker

Cajun has a whole package for $280 that keeps production legal.  Good deal?

FO Front site is necessary.  What about the 10x bushing for $60?

I know there is a huge wealth of knowledge here that can point me in the right direction and not be buying things that are unneccessary.

Since the FPB has gotta stay, the Cajun kit is probably the best way to go to get the most out of it... should deliver a trigger-reset within a couple mm's of a Shadow's. I vote Dawson for sights, and would say head over to CZ Custom for +10% mag-springs and IMHO their "SOLID Firing Pin Retaining Pin" is a MUST if you're going to dry-fire a bunch (which you will LOL). Don't forget to snap up a 11lb and/or 10lb recoil spring, think stock is like 17lbs or something and is WAY over-sprung.

Edited by ck1
I can't spell

The Cajun SRS-1 is really the only game in town for non-Shadow/Pre-B CZ's w/ the FPB... the FPB lifter and unique "low-lift" firing pin is real genius as far as fixing the FPB-gun's shortcomings...

4 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

What do they charge for that?  I'm more if a do it myself kind of guy but not opposed to sending it out.

Do it yourself IMHO, it's pretty easy if you're at all mechanically inclined, just get the Hammer Pin Punch and don't lose the microscopic FPB-lifter spring (ask me how I know LOL).

3 minutes ago, mikeinctown said:

Get yourself a steel guide rod as well. The stock plastic one will look bowed or way deformed after a short time.

That is in the cart.  So far it is the trigger kit, guide rod, 3 hammer springs, 3 recoil springs, a couple pins and a pin punch.

Here's my full parts list for my SP-01s.

Cajun Gun Works 
10040, CZC race hammer and CGW sear
TR-PIN (floating trigger pin)
H-pin x2 (hammer pins)
RP-TRS (reduced power trigger return spring)
75 Shadow line trigger
1485-T2 disconnector (short reset disconnector)
Recoil springs 11lb x2
SRS-2 (firing pin, fp spring, fp retaining pin, hammer spring 11#, FP block lifter and spring, )
Extended firing pin (included in SRS-2)
75060 Stainless steel guide rod 
61050 Extended firing pin (spare)
61100 FP retaining pin (spare)

Dawson Precision
Dawson .205 h / .90 wide 
019-115

CZC
CZC Competition Rear sight
Flat mainspring plug 
Stainless mag brake 

Trigger bar spring
Right side 1/8 inch above bottom of trigger bar
Left side just touching trigger bar

• 2 weeks later...

I firmly believe that you'll get a better trigger from a gun if you do the work yourself.

Personally, I've got about three hours worth of time in the polishing job on my Tanfoglio after the upgraded action parts were fitted. I simply don't think CGW or any other shop has that kind of time to spend on getting the internals to glass-like smoothness, however detail oriented they are.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I enjoy doing the work myself.. Teaches me about how the guns work and what affects what in the gun.  Being an almost 30 year machinist, I like to think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing when it comes to working with metal.. After doing my Lim Pro I think the guys at the local Menards think I'm addicted to buying dremel polishing wheels.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2016 at 2:58 PM, ARy said:

Can you elaborate on what the shortcomings are of a fpb gun? 

On 12/4/2016 at 5:26 PM, ARy said:

Yes, but to stay production legal, it has to remain.

The problem isn't the firing pin block. That's just a way to blame an untuned gun. The main problem is the firing pin retaining pin, that's why CZC has done an awesome job in making sure their extended firing pin has enough of a channel to not restrict the firing pin from forward momentum.  If the firing pin block is truly a problem in ones firearm, it a simple fitment that can be adjusted.  

Nothing worse than saying the SP-01 is worse than the Shadow because of the FPB. Non-Shadows can run just as good as Shadows if set-up properly. 

I don't think it's really about the firing pin channel when it comes to the "FPB in the SP-01 vs no-FPB Shadow thing", it's about how the FPB/lifter interacts/functions, and how the shorter CGW lifter works with the reworked CGW firing pin is a smart bit of "re-engineering magic" IMO. In an FPB-equipped SP-01 the trigger pull has to first deactivate the FPB before the sear can break (which also means an inherently longer trigger-reset as the action doesn't really reset until it's also reset the FPB when letting the trigger out), since a non-FPB Shadow doesn't deactivate/activate a FPB, it ends up nicer/shorter... 

That's why I think CGW's SRS-1/2 (w/ the magic shorter lifter and firing pin you install) is so cool; it vastly changes the "timing" of how an SP-01 deactivates the FPB, to where it's pretty much inperceivable and feels like it's just breaking the sear like in a non-FPB Shadow, and then for it's next trick, it allows one to reset the action in SA before reactivating the FPB if you want to ride the trigger: so the SA pulls and trigger-reset end up nearly identical to a Shadow's (within 1-3mm assuming you drop in the T-2 disconnector too). Muy bueno.

An SP-01 in the hands of a good shooter is not at a disadvantage at all really, but if one wants to trulls be a "trigger snob" and make an SP-01 as Shadow-like as possible, IMHO the SRS-1/2 + T2 dissy is the way.

Edited by ck1
I no type/spell so good