Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Bags

shot the Florida USPSA Championship yesterday... got my butt kicked, but 12 stages in one day....21 PCC entries entries total, and 5 on our squad, some with ATV muzzle down racks on home made strollers, or Rugged Gear vertical carts... much more efficient in squad management than with a hand carried case...Range Officers with 3 gun experience were typically at ease with flagged open carried rifles on carts...mine fits very securely on my ATV rack, and the rock roadway at Frostproof bounces the cart around pretty well...

we need to make muzzle down, Rhodesian ready or Patrol ready the OFFICIAL start position

Hello: I still like the bag idea and it protect the rifle from damage as well. I have seen 3-gun carts fall over, guns fall out of the rack on the cart and roll away. Still looking for the best rifle bag setup. I think I am almost there with the magazine and ammo bag setup. Thanks, Eric

I, too, am a bag man.  I've used carts in the past for various shooting games and they were often more trouble than they were worth getting bogged down in the mud or over very uneven ground. Un-bagging when making ready not only is safe it also appears safe to the many non PCC folks at the match.  Just the sight of a bare carbine being carried around even if it's flagged and only from a cart to the firing line can cause concern for some.  Everyone in USPSA is comfortable with holstered handguns being considered safe to and from the firing line and bagged carbines fit this safety mindset.

I'm now making sure to see if a fellow PCC shooter needs someone to take his bag from where he makes ready to the finish point at a match and if I don't know someone there I'll make sure to ask someone bring my bag to the finish point. 

I'm on the outside looking in at PCC.  Which means I'll have one by summer.  I've only shot with a few PCC guys, and they unbagged behind the line and took the carbines to the line, muzzle up and flagged.  After ULASC, they flagged them and bagged them behind the line.  That was last year (October/November).  Do the rules now state you must bring them to the line bagged?  I know of a local range who wants competitors to use bags for transport between stages, but that's club rule (that has been approved by NROI for that club).

I think I need to download the latest PCC rule revisions.

Hello: I am not a fan of taking the bagged PCC to the line. It is just more crap to worry about. I like the muzzle up with flag installed carried so you can see the flag facing out. Unbagging safe table or unbagged with muzzle facing the berm both work for me. The big thing is being safe and courteous to the other shooters. I have seen things at some matches that just scared me and would not want others to feel the same way. Back to what bag is your choice? Thanks, Eric

12 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am not a fan of taking the bagged PCC to the line. It is just more crap to worry about. I like the muzzle up with flag installed carried so you can see the flag facing out. Unbagging safe table or unbagged with muzzle facing the berm both work for me. 

+1

• 1 month later...

I shot the Alabama match using the Bulldog bag that my JP GMR shipped with. It has a single large interior space and 2 large (12x12 or so) exterior pockets with 3 internal mag pouches in each external pocket. I doubled my mags in the pouches of the pocket at the butt of my gun. I put my ammo boxes and squib rod and gloves in the pocket at the muzzle end of my carbine. I always put the gun back in the same orientation each time so that I always know which way the muzzle is pointing.

It has backpack straps which make for easy transport. It only has a single zipped which I dont care for, but the zipper closes at the "top" if using the backpack straps, so it will stay in even if not zipped all the way closed.

It's not 100% perfect, but seems pretty solid so far.

Edited by wgj3

Hello: I was looking at the VooDoo tactical bag which is like your JP bag. They are much larger than I was looking for. I use a backpack for my amm,mags etc. I also carry and small cooler for drinks and snacks. Going to try an old Ruger 10/22 bag to see if it will fit but first I have to find it. Keep the great info coming. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I was looking at the VooDoo tactical bag which is like your JP bag. They are much larger than I was looking for. I use a backpack for my amm,mags etc. I also carry and small cooler for drinks and snacks. Going to try an old Ruger 10/22 bag to see if it will fit but first I have to find it. Keep the great info coming. Thanks, Eric

Depending on optic, the 10/22 bag works. I have to collapse the buttstock about two positions, and it's a tight but not too tight fit with a Bushnell TRS25 dot on a 1" riser. 

I messed around with a rack that uses an old magazine to hold the gun on the rack, but decided I liked the scabbard plan better. Made a mount for my cart that allows quick removal and reattachment of the scabbard to the cart so I go up to the line with gun in scabbard and put gun back in scabbard before leaving shooting area.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 4:02 AM, Bamboo said:

I went svelte and just got a scabbard for mine.  Molle straps easily to my range baby buggy and is basically like a big holster for a rifle but gives good padded protection.   For mag pouches I'm using Safariland 771s and a 773 for the Caspian widebody  (for the old style caspian mags which are dimensioned a little different than the new style), and they fit the Colt SMG mags perfect. 

Which scabbard?  I used the cheap Chinese crap and it didn't make it through 3 days of Area 1. The lining inside ripped away.  CED or someone has to be working on this right?  

19 minutes ago, JBBoise said:

Which scabbard?  I used the cheap Chinese crap and it didn't make it through 3 days of Area 1. The lining inside ripped away.  CED or someone has to be working on this right?  

I've used the NC Star, $20.00 from Amazon for a few local matches, so far no issues.  https://www.amazon.com/byNcStar-Tactical-Rifle-Scabbard-CVRSCB2919B/dp/B0050KFHMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1491361300&sr=8-2&keywords=rifle+scabbard

I have it hung from a rack on my cart, and unclip it and take it to the line in the scabbard, then reholster the rifle at the end of the stage.

Hello: I have a NC Star scabbard coming this week. My Bulldog AR bag is starting to give out. The lining is coming loose and the zipper pull broke as well as the zipper is fraying. Going to give them a shout to see what they say. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

On my scabbard I moved the sling and carry handle as far towards the top as possible so that when I carry it, the muzzle points directly downward.  I don't know how well the zipper will hold up since I do not open/close it.  With a Cmore Slideride my PCC slips right into the scabbard.  A little tight but that makes it feel a little more secure.

Bill

• 5 months later...

I am still looking...I wish DAA or CED would make a bag, but in the meantime I turned to this.

http://www.eberlestock.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=X31

It's not perfect, I run a 45 degree dot and it gets hung up.  Plus if I'm not careful taking it out my chamber flag can pop out.  But it's nice to have everything in one bag.  Before I was using a Scabbard and a small range bag.  

I also tried a 3 Gun bag but it was WAY too big.