Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Recoil Slugs/Buckshot in Benelli??

HiCapMag

HICAPMAG:

I have found "low recoil" slugs to be very eratic lot to lot and manufacturer to manufacturer. I have a batch of Federal that is smack on in reguard to regular slugs out to 50 yds. The next batch I got was 7-10 inches low and sometimes I would get one that didn't want to fly more than 30 yds. I have had the same results with Rem and Win. I finally quit using them all together and just suck up the "punishment" (never really could tell the difference once the beep goes off) of full power slugs. By the way Wolf slugs are made by RWS and are a true Brenikie style slug.; I have had 3" groups with them at 100 yds in both my Benellies and so have some friends.           KURT

Reduce power tac slugs are ok in my Benelli, but kinda wimpy.  Full power slugs are the way to go for me, cheap Wolf slugs (@1.7 a box) shoot well in mine & Kurt's Benellis.  Not too often "cheap" goes with "good", but they do in this case.  Watch out when you try to sight in 12ga full power slugs on the bench...Holy cow!!! The punishing whacking on my right cheek was enough to make the dentist trips feel tolerable.

Hicapmag,

First you have to realize that the Benelli is a strange beast. I'm going a little off topic, but bear with me. The Benelli works on a "kinda" recoil operated system. The bolt actually needs about 1/4" of free recoil to unlock and operate properly. As many people can attest, I routinely stop or jam my benelli because I get a little too aggressive with my stance. The only way to know for sure is to buy a bunch and test them out. I can load a bunch on ammo that won't cycle when I shoot it and hand it to the guy next to me and the shotgun will run flawlessly for him. If you do decide to test some, make sure it will cycle from various shooting positions, especially supported barricades, prone, or any other postition that allows you to lock down the benelli.

My benelli will not run remington reduced recoil but will run federal tactical.  I much prefer the reduced recoil slugs because I'm a whimp but if we were shooting past 75 yards I'd go with full power.

Kurt, that's some pretty impressive groups.  Was that out of a mod choke? I did not know RWS made Wolf slugs. Their quality must be good.

I,ve been loading my own slugs for three years have just went to a 1 and 1/8 oz round ball from a 7/8 oz. forester.  They are a true reduced recoil doing around 1000 to 1050 fps.  The round ball gives a little better accuracy out past 50 yds. not near the 3"  mentioned but acceptable. They work fine in SX2 and Benelli. On the note of sighting in you  might try a trick that double rifle shooters use.  They shoot from a standing rest I use an ajustable pipe stand and just lay the shotgun in the  V  and hold it the same as when shooting off hand.  Gives you enough support so you get a good sight picture but llets you absorb the recoil normally.

Kelly:

Yes those were out of a light modified choke. So far both my Benellis have grouped like that and as PAC-MAN stated his did too. Eric's Remington with a modified choke shot the same size group, but a little low and left of his regular slug group. If you see a box of wolf slugs read the back carefully and you will see. Best buy on the slug market in my opinion.                  KURT

I have been useing fed. or rem. reduced slugs for about 5 yrs. have shot the same BENELLI  for 10 yrs. Last weekend after sighting in , I tried a full power rem. slug off the bench, & after a 5 year lay-off of full power slug's, I thought the damn gun blew up. Now I know why I switched to low recoil, besides being old & feeble.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To answer my own post.... I had a chance to try out some Remington RR slugs this past weekend, and some full power slugs.....now I know what Benny meant.  The RR slugs ran just fine.  I also shot a bunch of 7 1/2 3 dram 1 /18 ounce loads and they ran just fine, so I am fired up --- no more pain.

• 7 years later...

HICAPMAG:

I have found "low recoil" slugs to be very eratic lot to lot and manufacturer to manufacturer. I have a batch of Federal that is smack on in reguard to regular slugs out to 50 yds. The next batch I got was 7-10 inches low and sometimes I would get one that didn't want to fly more than 30 yds. I have had the same results with Rem and Win. I finally quit using them all together and just suck up the "punishment" (never really could tell the difference once the beep goes off) of full power slugs. By the way Wolf slugs are made by RWS and are a true Brenikie style slug.; I have had 3" groups with them at 100 yds in both my Benellies and so have some friends.           KURT

I dug this thread up because I had the same problem when I went to zero my shotgun with low recoil slugs. I couldn't get a reasonable enough group at 50 yards to even zero the shotgun.

On the other hand, I was able to put three full powered slugs on a 3x5" index card at 100 yards.

Full powered slugs kick really friggin' hard. Low recoil slugs kick really hard. I'll take the added split times and bodily abuse for increased accuracy.

Dyno, a lot of technology has happened in the last 9yrs. Low recoil/managed recoil is much better these days, you still need to try various makes, and due to the nature of them being low velocity, accuracy can vary beyond 75yds. but I know Kurt now shoots low recoil slugs almost exclusively as do most of us.

Fiocchi

Brenneke

Remington

Federal

all used with good results, lately!!

trapr

Dyno, a lot of technology has happened in the last 9yrs. Low recoil/managed recoil is much better these days, you still need to try various makes, and due to the nature of them being low velocity, accuracy can vary beyond 75yds. but I know Kurt now shoots low recoil slugs almost exclusively as do most of us.

Fiocchi

Brenneke

Remington

Federal

all used with good results, lately!!

trapr

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I was trying to use Remington managed recoil slugs at 100 yards with an 18.5 inch barrel and a modified choke. I'll try another brand and bump it back to 50.

What would you recommend for a Benelli M1?

Edited by DyNo!

Wolf tends to fall right between full power and low recoil, so it could be a good comprimise. when the shot gets to beyond 75, full power gets the nod, unless I'm sure of the low recoil load I'm shooting that day, so for 10-15 shots a year I keep full power Brenneke's handy.

Trapr

I just bought some Ranger low recoil slugs and buck shot. I haven't had a chance to shoot them and wondered what experiences you guys have had with these? I know they'll cycle my Benny Benelli just wondered their grouping and patterning?