Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullets + Stock 2

MissionaryMike

Hey, gang. I was wondering if anyone has first-hand experience using Precision Bullets in combination with your Stock ll, or any other Tanfo w/ polygonal rifling.  There's a warning on Precision Bullets' FAQ section with using their bullets in barrels with this style of rifling.  I'm not sure why their coating would be any different than the bullets that I have been using, BBI, so if anyone has inside I would surely appreciate it. Thanks.  

Btw, I'm looking at their 147gr FP. 

-MM

I used 170s ( to try out- 500 rounds) in my stock 2 shooting minor. No problems with leading s far as I can recall but there was more smoke compared to BBIs ( using titegroup which precision bullet and BBIs do not recommend). . 

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Precision is the lone holdout who isn't using a hitek/polymer or powdercoating. As far as I know it's still an old fashioned Moly coating.

I see. Well, I'm extremely interested in this brand because they use a different manufacturing process other than casting. They stamp the bullets before and after the coating is baked on, which supposedly leads to more consistent manufacturing results.

14 hours ago, johnbu said:

I used about 6k of their bullets for 40sw. A little smoky with hot powders, but the company provided great service and the bullets were good.

Would N320 or Ramshot Competition be considered hot?  The Hi-tek coated bullets don't seem to smoky.  I guess the lubricant really makes the difference. 

No - "hot" in this case refers to temperature of burn, not speed as in a fast powder.

Dual base powders (Titegroup) are murder with moly coated precision bullets when it comes to smoke. Think "black powder musket."

N320, WST, and the like are cleaner.

FWIW I found very little improvement between Titegroup and RS Comp behind a coated bullet when it came to smoke.

Other powders like Solo1000 and WST were noticeably better.

However... it is hard to find anything that burns cleaner than N320. I'd recommend it for your major match ammo if you intend to shoot precision bullets there. Use the other powders for practice and locals where the sun won't be downrange while you're shooting.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

No - "hot" in this case refers to temperature of burn, not speed as in a fast powder.

Dual base powders (Titegroup) are murder with moly coated precision bullets when it comes to smoke. Think "black powder musket."

N320, WST, and the like are cleaner.

FWIW I found very little improvement between Titegroup and RS Comp behind a coated bullet when it came to smoke.

Other powders like Solo1000 and WST were noticeably better.

However... it is hard to find anything that burns cleaner than N320. I'd recommend it for your major match ammo if you intend to shoot precision bullets there. Use the other powders for practice and locals where the sun won't be downrange while you're shooting.

Probably b/c RSC is also a double-base powder.

From precision website:

recommended powders

Any powders for cast lead bullets will work for Precision Bullets. 
Vihtavuori – N-320/N-340 
Ramshot – Competition/Zip 
Winchester – WST 
Alliant – American Select/Power Pistol 
Hodgdon – Universal Clays/HP38

NOT recommended

Hodgdon – Titegroup 
Vihtavuori – N-310

10 minutes ago, Sarge said:

From precision website:

recommended powders

Any powders for cast lead bullets will work for Precision Bullets. 
Vihtavuori – N-320/N-340 
Ramshot – Competition/Zip 
Winchester – WST 
Alliant – American Select/Power Pistol 
Hodgdon – Universal Clays/HP38

NOT recommended

Hodgdon – Titegroup 
Vihtavuori – N-310

Thanks, Sarge.  I missed this part.

I had problems with their 9mm 147's tumbling out of  a polygonal barrel (PPQ), but the 124's and 115's are fine.  I use their 170's in .40 SW all the time and have never had a problem except too much smoke on night stages (yes, I use titegroup).  I still shoot them because of the price.  Their prices include shipping.

Slug the barrels first. Some are tighter than standard. That will add to lead deposition in the bore. It also adds to the cleaning requirements after a match. Some people don't surgically clean their gun after each match. I am not one of those people, My gun gets broke down every time I shoot it. I have been called OCD about my guns by every person that knows me

On 11/16/2016 at 3:23 PM, MissionaryMike said:

So by all these replies, I can assume that running coated lead bullets in a polygonal rifling barrel, such as the one that comes in the Stock ll, is good to go. 

I had read this same thing in regards to poly rifling.  I am very new to handloading though.

10 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

Slug the barrels first. Some are tighter than standard. That will add to lead deposition in the bore. It also adds to the cleaning requirements after a match. Some people don't surgically clean their gun after each match. I am not one of those people, My gun gets broke down every time I shoot it. I have been called OCD about my guns by every person that knows me

I break my guns down completely every time I shoot (match or range session) as well. I don't think it is OCD but, my wife says it is, she is always right. 

I find myself shooting the Tanfo more often than my CZ because I can get the sear cage back in so much faster.

Edited by billthemarine2862

On 11/16/2016 at 3:23 PM, MissionaryMike said:

So by all these replies, I can assume that running coated lead bullets in a polygonal rifling barrel, such as the one that comes in the Stock ll, is good to go. 

Yes, good to go.  especially minor.