Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single Stack Tri-Top, +'s and -'s?

jkrispies

I'm building a 9mm Single Stack right now.  Yes, there's a superficial cool-factor in a tri-topped gun, but my question is:  Purely in terms of functionality, what are the plusses or minuses to tri-topping that I should know when considering whether to tri-top or not?  

Are there folks out there who have tri-topped and wished they hadn't?  Or those who did it for the first time and had a life-changing experience that sold them on tri-topping forever after?  Either way, please explain why...

Thanks, J

Tri topping removes more material, less material = thinner section properties which also equates to less mass.  Less moving mass equates to less recoiling inertia which can equate to less muzzle flip.  Thinner steel sectional properties equates to more fragility.....moral of the story, lighter is better but cracks easier. It's less of a concern in minor but it still happens, it also happens more often due to casting and metallurgy than the gunsmith.  Slides are a consumable and you only live once, buy what you like

Yes to all above. I had a 6" 40 2011 done and currently my 4" 9mm carry 1911 has it. Lighter moving mass helps recoil, it feels fast, and for me the giant triangle it makes works like a sight for close or really fast shooting. Draws your eyes up and you can look as a flash sight picture and make hits at close distances without looking at the sights proper

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

I'm curious if anybody has seen a tri topped 9mm slide crack?  I consistently see "major power" limited and open slides with way more lightening than just a tri top...  

Yes BUT

I've also seen slides with no cuts crack.

Make what you want and hope for the best.

I love the look so my open gun is tri-topped, and it removed .9 oz from the slide which is beneficial. I just use poly recoil buffers and a 7lb recoil spring to help prolong the life of the slide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'd done it.  Limited .40 6" and  9mm and .40 1911s for Single Stack.  For sure felt a difference before and after on the 6" Limited gun, but not sure how much difference it made on the 5" 1911's.  But I like the look, so that's gotta count for something, right?  #Idigit

The sight came down quicker when I tri-topped my three guns. I ended up going down a lb in my recoil spring weights to compensate.

I did it for the weight savings but ended up liking it so much, I did it to all three of my guns.

I have 50k rounds each on two of the guns. No issues even shooting major.

I had to do some creative lightning cuts on the inside of my 9mm SS slide to make weight with dawson aluminum base pads. My friends tri-top makes weight no problem. They both shoot about the same IMHO. I run 125gr lead right at minor so recoil is not a problem. Slide speed not that I can tell.

5 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Well, my tritopped 9mm cracked this week at the front of the ejection port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But was this due to bad casting or just too much material was removed? I've never seen a minor PF gun have these issues if everything was squared away for weight reduction and longevity properly. I will however say that nothing is impossible especially with so many variables at hand.

Edited by e4effort

9 hours ago, motosapiens said:

Well, my tritopped 9mm cracked this week at the front of the ejection port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that.  May I ask if your slide is stainless or carbon, in case that makes a difference?  Of course if it's a bad casting, then it's just a bad casting.  

Edited by jkrispies