Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Line between Shot Calling and Bullseye Mode

Chuckie45

shot calling is nothing more than knowing where the bullet went and is not tied to speed or accuracy. bullseye mode would be emphisizing accuracy over speed and as a byproduct most will have a easier time calling there shots

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Bullseye mode can be compared to group shooting. Just shooting for perfect shots, and as said above, disregarding time. Calling your shots is knowing where the shot went on target and knowing if it was an acceptable shot. Typically alpha, close charlie is acceptable and calling a far charlie or worse is unacceptable and needs to be made up. That can also be situationally dependant. To call your shot you need to see where the sights are at the moment they lift/shot breaks

Daniel K

the difference....

bullseye and ? 

that question mark is there because shot calling is done after you break the shot.  

As far as I know, the guys doing bullseye are doing 'shot calling' and they do not call it anything.  

my guess is that they do not need the time they can can save if they knew where the bullet was going to hit. 

shot calling is done to save time.

If you KNOW you hit the a-zone, go to the next target.

miranda

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Shot calling is noticing where the front sight, or dot, was at the moment that

your gun recoiled (shot when off).  Can be done Very Quickly.

Bullseye is shooting very slowly so your front sight or dot stays in an

acceptable circle.

In order to know where the front sight is I need for the gun to be relatively stable, mikes and deltas have shown that if the gun is not fairly stable but the sight is somewhere in the A zone, I may think I know where the bullet is headed but I really do not. 

In order to actually know what I think I know it is necessary for me to aim at a small portion of the center of what I want to hit. That is perhaps something between shot calling and bullseye mode? 

In order to know where the front sight is I need for the gun to be relatively stable, mikes and deltas have shown that if the gun is not fairly stable but the sight is somewhere in the A zone, I may think I know where the bullet is headed but I really do not. 

In order to actually know what I think I know it is necessary for me to aim at a small portion of the center of what I want to hit. That is perhaps something between shot calling and bullseye mode? 

You are probably seeing your sights before the trigger press. Then moving the sights as you press the trigger, and just dont notice it.
The definition of shot calling, as I've always known it, is knowing exactly where the shot will go as soon as the trigger breaks and the sights lift

Daniel K

12 hours ago, DKnoch said:

You are probably seeing your sights before the trigger press. Then moving the sights as you press the trigger, and just dont notice it.
The definition of shot calling, as I've always known it, is knowing exactly where the shot will go as soon as the trigger breaks and the sights lift

Daniel K

Certainly that can happen, and it may be what is happening routinely when I attempt to expand the A zone beyond just a small portion of its center. 

Am wondering if that is why many of us struggle with accuracy as we attempt to improve speed, we intentionally leave bullseye mode by expanding the A zone and acceptable sight wobble, but we unintentionally pull our eyes away from the front sight sooner.

Whatever the reason, I do notice a gun stability error and need for a make up shot when shooting for the very compressed A zone, but do not otherwise. 

I am pretty sure a lot of people blink as they squeeze the trigger so of course they don't know exactly where the sights were as the shot broke.   If you can think about that next time you practice, you may find it to be the case.   It's very hard to break that habit but it can be done with a lot of conscious thought & good hearing protection.

44 minutes ago, mlmiller1 said:

I am pretty sure a lot of people blink as they squeeze the trigger so of course they don't know exactly where the sights were as the shot broke.   If you can think about that next time you practice, you may find it to be the case.   It's very hard to break that habit but it can be done with a lot of conscious thought & good hearing protection.

Worked on things at the range a bit yesterday. I think I have trained myself to call the shot at the trigger press, rather than when the sights lift. Seems fixable. I may have started this during dry fire while attempting to reduce time for target transitions. Agree with you that blinking can be a problem but I don't think that problem is in play in this particular circumstance. 

The more I think about my dry fire practice (click-MOVE,click-MOVE,click-MOVE) the more I think this might be the source of the issue. 

hmmmm....

sometimes the advice you get is the solution for a problem that you may not have?

as an example, I blink quite often when I break the shots, so I always say "don't blink"

I don't blink in dryfire. buuuuut I would describe my dryfire as: mooooving -click-callshot- still mooving.

two problems I have in that practice, one is that I can do that at my range.  the other is that I want to be more certain about the callshot.

in any case you may want to add shot calling to your clicking...

miranda

On 11/1/2016 at 4:03 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

This sounds exactly like the thing you have already diagnosed.

You 'call' your shot based on where your sights were located at the beginning or middle of the trigger's travel.

But you don't notice something; that you aren't pulling the trigger straight to the rear when shooting fast. The sights are being yanked offcenter before the gun discharges and you aren't seeing that.

Yet another reason to post that Jerry Miculek video where he says "trigger control is more important than sight alignment."

Edited by MemphisMechanic

uh.  who is controlling whom?

and why am I laughing?   if you are looking at the sights while you are

heeling, yanking, cranking, pushing, pulling, anticipating, slapping or even plain ole pressing your trigger,

you are also among the other things, quite likely calling the shot.

You may not like the result, I agree.  Just keep in mind you KNOW where the bullet went.

that is shot calling.

Be honest with yourself.  You can lie to me all day and blame gravity waves if you want.

watch yourself shoot,  you will learn to stay on target as you break shots.

... how do you think I know I  heel, yank, crank, push, pull, anticipate,  slap and sometimes press a trigger?

miranda