Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying A New Cell Phone

Merlin Orr

I feel ya Merlin. I qualified for a free upgraded phone of my choice 6 months ago. I have actually been pretty happy with my current phone so I declined the upgrade. Now however, my battery is not once it once was, it must be recharged everyday now, and more than once if I talk alot that day. I declined the upgrade because learning a new phone is such a pain, no 2 phones in the world have the same menu set up. They will give me a new phone free, but I have to buy a new battery. WTF??

Just picked up three phones and a newer contract, it's a little easier when a friend works at the same place... pay by month..

Motorola Razr v3

Sony Ericcson Z500

and a cheaper Nokia brick.

A PITA....

Phone Salesman:

Yes you can keep your old # Not!

Yes you can keep your wifes existing # Not!

Yes they can be different area codes. Not!

Yes we can activate them from any location. Not!

Yes we will mail them to your temp location. Not!

When asked, the salesman says, Yes I HAVE CHECKED ALL OF THE ABOVE. Obviously Not!

AND - a second phone call before I found out all the above was pure BS, recorded:

How do you rate the service given to you by ***gular.. At the time I had to say great. Like I say, this was before I found out all I had been told was "incorrect."

All my fault as I know the (cell phone) salespeople are all worthless sacks of poo!

And this is a surprise?

I have had Cingular since about last November. I left Nextel due to too many dropped calls.

Cingular has the best service I have ever had thus far, but......

They have the WORST customer service I have ever seen, and this is in any company in any business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain. Accidentally took my phone swimming with me several weeks ago. Not only was my phone toast but my SIMS card died too. My entire phone database was wiped out. Good lesson. Those little SIMS cards are apparently very sensitive so it's a good idea to have info backed up to another source.

I feel your pain.  Accidentally took my phone swimming with me several weeks ago.  Not only was my phone toast but my SIMS card died too.  My entire phone database was wiped out.  Good lesson.  Those little SIMS cards are apparently very sensitive so it's a good idea to have info backed up to another source.

Hehehe... Back in 1997 about the 4th day into a 6 day long binge - I mean Party - I dove off a party barge into Lake Minnatonka with cell, pager PDA and wallet. Took me a month to figure out (most) of what I had lost.... :rolleyes:

My wife and I use T-Mobile. We have had a lot of luck with them. Though, we ARE lucky, in that a friend of ours works for T-Mobile service.

As for the phones, do a little research online. Nokia usually has good phones. If you are interested in the past 2 phones, a guy that works at T-mobile service has had, they are the nokia 6600 and 3220.

Motorola or Nokia, but my 6 month old Motorola V400 is crapping out on me. They will replace it if you jump through enough hoops!! Cingular by far best coverage, suck-ass customer service. :angry: TXAG

rule number one.. cell phones do not need to be on or answered.

The thing that kills meis that I can NEVER seem to get a good phone on something with good service.

Omnipoint, I mena voicestream, or uh t-mobile.. yeah... that's it.. had great customer support, cool phones, very simple billing, and NO coverage.

ATT&T, I mean cingular, had much better coverage, but their phones sucked at the time. Now they have cooler phones, but they have switched to GSM, so unless someone built a lot of towers I didn't see go up, well... Their customer service and billing systems leave a bit to be desired. If you have a data plan, watch out. My friend was paying for unlimited data AND getting billed by the minute. Nothing like a $380 phone bill to get you all riled up. CS rep said he had just gotten off the phone with someone who ahd been incorrectly billed $4000 for their data usage. MMM fun.

verizon has great coverage, but the worst phones feature and price wise, the worst rates, the most cryptic billing, data rates that should be outlawed, and customer support that should be in the dictionary next to the word half-assed.

I feel your pain.