Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet feeder....650 ??

I need council on a bullet feeder for my 650 .....any suggestions on brand, accessories and installation greatly appreciated.

im having concerns with loosing my powder check....!!

Im loading a large, for me anyway, amount of 9 mm and need to speed my process up a bit...

thanks in advance.....Christmas is coming !!

If you're only loading one cal. or only need the bullet feeder for one cal., I would also recommend GSI.  Mine has been 100% and I also like being able to keep the powder check station.

I have the GSI feeder on my 650 and Mr. Bullet feeder on my 1050.

If you do end up getting the GSI the only recommendation I have is that you call when you order to ensure you get the exact ring you need for your bullets.  Their dropdown doesn't have all of the options they offer.

43 minutes ago, RichJacot said:

If you do end up getting the GSI the only recommendation I have is that you call when you order to ensure you get the exact ring you need for your bullets.  Their dropdown doesn't have all of the options they offer.

That's why I got the MBF for my 650. I just dump whatever bullets I want to load in the hopper and start loading. Haven't changed anything on the setup.

I don't take up valuable space with powder check. I just bought a small light and focus it right on the shell plate. My eyes are my powder check

I love the flexibility and reliability of the mbf. 

If you truly just load one calibre AND just the one bullet weight/shape/type then the gsi is probably a good option as you can retain powder check. But if you ever switch projies or calibres you'll wish you'd bought the mbf. 

You can and should be keeping your eye on the powder in the case coming into the bullet feeder station anyway. Never understood the need for a powder check. You are going to make sure your bullet didn't seat incorrectly anyway. Your eyes are already there looking at station 3/4. 

4 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

You can and should be keeping your eye on the powder in the case coming into the bullet feeder station anyway. Never understood the need for a powder check. You are going to make sure your bullet didn't seat incorrectly anyway. Your eyes are already there looking at station 3/4. 

My sentiments exactly! Might serve a purpose in rifle cases, but pistol, not so much

Never understood the need for a powder check.

I agree that one should verify with the old mark one eye ball too.

That said I have never read a kaboom thread where they were using a PC or lockout die. 

So I guess it like the breakers at my house, despite never needing them because I pay attention to what I plug in, I'll leave them there just incase they save me from something a I missed down the road.  Same thing for an airbag or seat belt, they only need to be useful once to be worth it.

1 hour ago, jmorris said:

I agree that one should verify with the old mark one eye ball too.

That said I have never read a kaboom thread where they were using a PC or lockout die. 

So I guess it like the breakers at my house, despite never needing them because I pay attention to what I plug in, I'll leave them there just incase they save me from something a I missed down the road.  Same thing for an airbag or seat belt, they only need to be useful once to be worth it.

I've never read a thread like that where someone was looking at the cases, either. It has always been because they weren't paying attention.

2 minutes ago, jmorris said:

That didn't take long.

Except from what I read there you can't connect that to a double charge. He says he looks in every case. The case separated apart, which could be a problem with a case that was reloaded too many times. There is zero actual proof that this was a double charge that would have been prevented by using a powder check. (in fact he evidence shows that it could more likely be bad brass in a Glock)

Guess you need to go back further than 3 years to find one.

I love my GSI. But you must make sure that the bullet you use will run through it. It's not just the collator ring that will cause you grief but the seating stem as well. I shoot a .45 H&G #68 200 gr SWC BB coated using Hi-Tek. The GSI has a ring and seater that work PERFECTLY with this bullet. It is wonderful...

If you have a particular bullet that you're married to you can send some to GSI and they'll make sure you get the ring and stem that will work...They'll even make a seater stem to work with your bullet if needs be.

If you are going to shoot a lot of one kind of bullet I can't recommend the GSI highly enough but you can't switch around to UNTESTED bullet designs. You can switch easily between bullet designs that are known good ones but just dropping a new/different bullet in it and expecting it to work, is a recipe for frustration.

Except from what I read there you can't connect that to a double charge. He says he looks in every case.

Yep and my wife's keys move themselves from where "she's sure" she put them.

The PC/lockout is there you save you from yourself. Again you shouldn't need it but if it saves you once is it worth $60?

You don't buy insurance with the intent of damaging the object you insured, it's there for "just in case".

Edited by jmorris

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:42 AM, jmorris said:

Yep and my wife's keys move themselves from where "she's sure" she put them.

The PC/lockout is there you save you from yourself. Again you shouldn't need it but if it saves you once is it worth $60?

You don't buy insurance with the intent of damaging the object you insured, it's there for "just in case".

BTW, the Op is asking about an XL650 which auto indexes and it is nearly impossible to do a double charge because of this. By the time you lower the handle enough to move the powder bar into position to refill with powder, the indexing already starts moving.

You can point to whatever saying you want, but in the post you referenced, there is ZERO evidence that the failure was a double charge that would have been prevented by a powder check. (and the guy wasn't using a 650)

I looked at both the GSI and MBF prior to getting my bullet feeder. The big difference for me was being able to use different bullets of the same caliber and not having to keep buying different parts to go with each bullet type. So, I got MBF. After loading the last 300 or so of Xtreme bullets I have left I am switching to coated bullets, GSI does not even support those (FMJ or Plated only)

3 hours ago, tanks said:

I looked at both the GSI and MBF prior to getting my bullet feeder. The big difference for me was being able to use different bullets of the same caliber and not having to keep buying different parts to go with each bullet type. So, I got MBF. After loading the last 300 or so of Xtreme bullets I have left I am switching to coated bullets, GSI does not even support those (FMJ or Plated only)

They do have rings for coated bullets. I'm using one now.  That's why I say call them when ordering. Not everything they offer is in the drop downs.

BTW, the Op is asking about an XL650 which auto indexes and it is nearly impossible to do a double charge because of this. By the time you lower the handle enough to move the powder bar into position to refill with powder, the indexing already starts moving.

A squib followed by a regular round can be just as bad as a double.

Then you have folks modifying Dillon powder measures to the old style "no clunk" linkage or another brand measure (RCBS, Hornady or Lee) that can all double if short stroked.

If your happy, I am too, they both work and I even have both and other feeders myself.  I just prefer the GSI because I get the best of both worlds, speed and safety.

Edited by jmorris

2 hours ago, RichJacot said:

They do have rings for coated bullets. I'm using one now.  That's why I say call them when ordering. Not everything they offer is in the drop downs.

Yeah, but my point is that one needs different parts for different types of bullets of the same caliber. Switching from plated to coated bullets was as simple as dropping in bunch of coated bullets in the hopper and keep going with MBF. Now, if one needs a powder check die I understand. I visually check every round so far caught one possible squib when the powder hopper return rod had gotten loose and no powder dropped out of about 6K rounds. So, if one is not going to do a visual inspection then, sure go with GSI. 

Yeah, but my point is that one needs different parts for different types of bullets of the same caliber. Switching from plated to coated bullets was as simple as dropping in bunch of coated bullets in the hopper and keep going with MBF.

That is pretty much what I do with my GSI's but they didn't offer a collator when I picked up my first one so I have always built my own collators.  Also saves money on the most expensive part of any bullet feeder.

When you match the bullet to the GSI ring and seating stem, it works flawlessly. More than flawlessly I can't ask for. I tend not to switch around to different bullets once I find one I like. I keep my 650 setup for a particular caliber, powder, charge and bullet. For me, switching calibers, powders, charges, bullets, etc is just a gigantic pain that I'll do almost anything to avoid it. I probably try too many variations and combinations for my own good so when I find something I like, I stick to it. 

Thanks for the informative replies. I want to keep my 650.... I want to keep the powder check if possible, I've settled on Blue Bullets in 9 mm for my loads.....looks like I will investigate the GSI.....that's a lot of coin.....but I'm processing a lot 'o brass

Thanks again!!!