Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I just bought a stock2

Nathanb

6 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Very cool!  

FYI - removing material from the mag well WILL kick you out of SSP and into ESP in IDPA.  

That's okay. My gun isn't IDPA legal anyway.

If I end up building a Lim Pro and occasionally shooting in IDPA, the goal will be to have improved enough to go for the Overall Domination title. (Which is still a low bar) So ESP/SSP is largely irrelevant.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That's okay. My gun isn't IDPA legal anyway.

If I end up building a Lim Pro and occasionally shooting in IDPA, the goal will be to have improved enough to go for the Overall Domination title. (Which is still a low bar) So ESP/SSP is largely irrelevant.

I know.  My goals are the same. 

Just wanted to add a little info for anyone thinking of making these mods.

I am.  Just not sure how I'm gonna go about it.  I don't have access to anything other than a file and a dremel.

I'm afraid I'll make it look like crap!

Mine is getting roughed in with a carbide deburring bit in a pneumatic die grinder to begin. The third one from left in this image will probably be my choice:

p11779.jpg

...Then shaped with a hand file, and finally smoothed out with a dremel later tonight.

Stay tuned. I'll post pics.

Haha damn guys. How about you dry fire & figure it out? Call me crazy but I'm only badly missing reloads when pushing speed hard.

I'll take that extra hour or two or five spent polishing FCG parts or opening the magwell to dry fire. Y'all are like f'n squirrel poo.

41 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Y'all are like f'n squirrel poo.

Huh?  Is that a Texan thing?

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Quiet. I CAN GRIND THINGS.

If this sucker can go from one of the hardest production guns to load, to one of the easiest? I don't see a reason to pass on that opportunity.

+1

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I'll be right back. I'm gonna go tell all the Limited guys on here to take their magwells off and simply do more dryfire if they want to win.

I think what @SCTaylor is getting at is that we're spending too much time modifying our guns instead of practice.  The guys in Limited simply attach magwells that are prefabricated and only required attachment.  I think he's probably right in my case, but not in yours, @MemphisMechanic.  I definitely need more trigger time.

General shots at a wide audience Mike, not really intended to you or MM.  I just am starting to see how much better I am getting while guys I've shot with for ~8 months are not improving at all. Somehow it makes me a little mad, but we are not all in this for the same reason. I will make grand master in production on or before my goal date. This is taking a lot of work, 60-75 minutes 5x per week in dryfire and 1 to 2 live fire sessions per month plus a match.

The amount of time some folks are putting into polishing their guns and tweaking non-essential items is time lost to actual improvement. I've seen a metric ton of improvement with only 4 months of poorly directed dryfire from a spastic new shooter to B class. I want everyone to do well, however, everyone's goals are different. With some time in dryfire, it might take a while, you will learn to reload the Tanfo like a possessed mad man.

One other question, a general one, do any of the top 16 GM's have their magwells specially ported?

Edited by SCTaylor

Yeah. It can be overcome with training but so can a crappy trigger.  Most of us have put in new parts. The time spent doing trigger jobs could have been spent dry firing instead.  

I for one would like to have a better blended mag well.  On the edges at least.

Even with 100's of hours of training it still will help that one time you mess it up. So, it's wort if the person doing the work thinks it's worth it.  

17 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

One other question, a general one, do any of the top 16 GM's have their magwells specially ported?

Yes.

But I'm not naming names.

For the rest? You're stealing my thunder. "Stop polishing things and practice!" has been my battle cry up to this point.

(Dryfiring like mad with a 7lb DA has done wonders for my trigger control, btw.)

Also... in case you aren't aware, some of the people in here who are fond of polishing and super sexy triggers 

(@Twinkie and @waktasz come to mind) happen to be GMs.

2 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

At class, Stoeger said he "hogged out" his tanfo.

Is he "top 16"?

working on my gun makes me want to practice more. That's probably why I change things around from time to time. Helps renew interest.

For example...swapped out the green fiber I've been using for years and went back to red for now