Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX mags

Lhelliott

I'm looking to pick up a couple more mags for my STI Marauder and I'm trying to figure out if I want to drop the dough on MBX mags or stick with STI. The marauder is almost new I only have about 500-1000 rounds through it but its worked flawlessly and I haven't had 1 issue with the STI mags. What advantages do the MBX mags that make them worth double the cost of STI.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Teros, Mis-understood what you were getting across. As of right now I have not had any feeding/reliability issues with the stock mags but like I said this thing is pretty new I've only shot 3 matches and had 1 practice day at the range are those common issues once the gun is broken in? As you can tell Im also pretty know to the 2011 platform. 

35 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Just buy the 140mm STI tubes, Dawson base pad and whatever spring and follower you like. The new 40 STI mags are a lot better than they used to be. The MBX I have seen around here are about 50% whether they work or not. Thanks, Eric

I think Im going to change the parts on my current mags and get one MBX and see how it runs. 

Hello: I would just get the Dawson base pads, Dawson followers and ISMI springs. Fit the springs to the followers and be done. I like the Dawson base pads since they come straight off the bottom of the tube to make it easier to clean. They also don't mess up the spring like some of the slide on base pads do. The Grams base pads are nice as well. You can get all this from Shooters Connection. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I'm a fan of the MBX mags.  I have 6 and they have been flawless.  In fact all the mbx mags I've seen in my area have been great.  STI can be hit or miss, I have seen a bunch that needed to be tuned.  If you need tuned ones they run about the same as the MBX.  Kind of up to you if you want the insurance or your willing to take the risk.

My MBX was a total disappointment. The follower is ridiculous. The tube and basepad are nice, but those followers are not up to snuff. I really do wish I had never bought one. I'd take a STI tube, grams, and Taran Tactical basepad over it any day. Did I mention the follower is 3D printed and not well at that!

Edited by Blammo
meant to say follower

18 minutes ago, Blammo said:

My MBX was a total disappointment. The follower is ridiculous. The tube and basepad are nice, but those followers are not up to snuff. I really do wish I had never bought one. I'd take a STI tube, grams, and Taran Tactical basepad over it any day. Did I mention the based is 3D printed and not well at that!

Yeah, he's right.  Very helpful.  Just ask the thousands of shooters that use them.  My "based" don't look like they're 3-D printed, any of them.  Do yours, guys?  Ridiculous?

4 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Yeah, he's right.  Very helpful.  Just ask the thousands of shooters that use them.  My "based" don't look like they're 3-D printed, any of them.  Do yours, guys?  Ridiculous?

Thousands huh. Sounds really popular, so its must be the best. And I am sorry as I did mean follower and not "based", that was my mistake. A 3D printed follower is ridiculous for the price. Geez, if your follower is "so" good, invest in some tooling as it will be cheaper in the long run anyway. 3D printing is for low volume concept type work.

28 minutes ago, Blammo said:

My MBX was a total disappointment. The follower is ridiculous. The tube and basepad are nice, but those followers are not up to snuff. I really do wish I had never bought one. I'd take a STI tube, grams, and Taran Tactical basepad over it any day. Did I mention the follower is 3D printed and not well at that!

What kind of mag is it? If it's a 140mm 9/38 I'll trade you my sti tube, dawson pad, grams gut mag for it...

Just now, teros135 said:

We're very happy you're here.  Welcome to BE.

I can have an opinion. I did say the tube and basepad were nice, but the overall fit and function left a lot to be desired. It did not hold the capacity they said and the slide would strip the follower into the gun on the last round. In fact the other option was to lock back on the last round, so it was inconsistent or poor performance at best. Once I put grams in it was ok. This magazine advertised the follower would not lock back the slide and it would hold a certain capacity, both of which was not true. I consider 3d printing at this price point an amateur move too.

1 minute ago, Blammo said:

I can have an opinion. I did say the tube and basepad were nice, but the overall fit and function left a lot to be desired. It did not hold the capacity they said and the slide would strip the follower into the gun on the last round. In fact the other option was to lock back on the last round, so it was inconsistent or poor performance at best. Once I put grams in it was ok. This magazine advertised the follower would not lock back the slide and it would hold a certain capacity, both of which was not true. I consider 3d printing at this price point an amateur move too.

Did you try stacking the rounds as recommended in their videos?

I did. With the Uplula or by giving the mag a few thumps while I was loading. It sounds weird, but it holds more with the grams. I can get 26 of 9mm in with the grams and 25 in as it came. I let it settle overnight, loaded it a bunch of times, and tried factory and reloaded ammo. Its just better with the Grams in every time. Also, I let another person try with the same conclusion. In fact, with the stock internals I was denting cases it was so tight. Just for reference it is a 155 mm for 9/38.

2 minutes ago, Blammo said:

I did. With the Uplula or by giving the mag a few thumps while I was loading. It sounds weird, but it holds more with the grams. I can get 26 of 9mm in with the grams and 25 in as it came. I let it settle overnight, loaded it a bunch of times, and tried factory and reloaded ammo. Its just better with the Grams in every time. Also, I let another person try with the same conclusion. In fact, with the stock internals I was denting cases it was so tight. Just for reference it is a 155 mm for 9/38.

I'm not doubting, just verifying. Personally if I paid $145 for a 155mm if be calling MBX for a replacement or a fix before sinking more money into it