Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drilling holes in production gun frame legality?

ShortBus

I currently shoot a stock 2 in production with all the goodies. I really want to try open with a tanfo but building another gun is costly. Could I drill/thread a few holes in my dustcover to mount and optic while shooting open? 

While shooting production the ONLY thing changed would be the holes. 

6 minutes ago, ShortBus said:

That's what I figured. Was hoping it might be ok because they would provide no competitive edge 

The last special condition in Appendix D4

— UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

Edited by ChuckS

• 2 weeks later...

Contact NROI, get an email with a ruling.  SS has pretty much the same wording and Amidon ruled holes drilled for scope mount in my 1911, back when the 8 shot 45 acp w/comps were the rage!, were OK.  They weren't drilled for competitive advantage and gave no advantage as holes in a slide would.

So it's worth a try and there may be a chance.

You might even do a little research and quote the original ruling, it was posted at one point, to back up your point of view.

An email with an opinion from DNROI is not binding on an RM.  An interpretation published on the website however, is a horse of a different color......

(And for the record, I would subject a DNROI opinion email to strict scrutiny of applicability to the situation at hand, and if applicable would give it fairly heavy weight in making a determination -- so an email wouldn't be worthless)

15 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

An email with an opinion from DNROI is not binding on an RM.  An interpretation published on the website however, is a horse of a different color......

(And for the record, I would subject a DNROI opinion email to strict scrutiny of applicability to the situation at hand, and if applicable would give it fairly heavy weight in making a determination -- so an email wouldn't be worthless)

how binding are those rulings posted on the website, when DNROI ignores his own rulings at Nationals?

3 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

So, you were there, you heard all of the same facts that DNROI did, were privy to all conversations, and are educated to the RMI level with ~ 20 years experience officiating in this sport at all levels?  

yes, I was there yes I know what happened.

I don't have 20 years experience officiating but know when the rule is ignored.

2 hours ago, bret said:

yes, I was there yes I know what happened.

I don't have 20 years experience officiating but know when the rule is ignored.

Where is the like button when you need it!

11 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

So, you were there, you heard all of the same facts that DNROI did, were privy to all conversations, and are educated to the RMI level with ~ 20 years experience officiating in this sport at all levels?  

actually since I was an R.O. on the stage, I knew more about the facts than DNROI did, he only heard part of it.

he chose to not only ignore the rule, and the facts, but gave a reshoot also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...