Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trim question when to trim

Davecoff13

Forgive me I am sure this has been covered many times. Just finished processing a 2000 rounds of 223/556 brass. I set calipers at 1.755 ( halfway between max case  and trim to length) , about 1500 passed through that. Then reset for 1.760 ( max case length) and all but maybe 100 passed that. Question is when do you trim, obviously the long ones need to be trimmed,  but do you trim the cases that are over trim to length  or wait until they are over max case length? This is not precision  ammo but just for general range shootings for a ar, shooting plates , paper etc. thanks in advance.

On 10/20/2016 at 6:00 PM, loaded605 said:

After resizing. I trim everything to 1.750.

I don't get it,

I have shot .223 range brass for 15 years or so. I have never trimmed. Ever. Once in a while when I get bored I will measure some brass and find that

almost all of it measures  less than 1.750.

How do you trim brass to 1.750 when it is too short to do that?

Curious?

Just went and measured 100 cases with my calipers. Four were long enough to trim to 1.750. Much of this brass I have shot a few times.

I don't get it?

I don't get it,

I have shot .223 range brass for 15 years or so. I have never trimmed. Ever. Once in a while when I get bored I will measure some brass and find that

Curious?

Just went and measured 100 cases with my calipers. Four were long enough to trim to 1.750. Much of this brass I have shot a few times.

I don't get it?

If you measure it before resizing it will be shorter. Resizing, if done properly, case stretches it and it will be longer and would need trimming. I don't trim cases that are long enough, obviously. I don't have a progressive for .223 so I am single staging them. I have some that are short... I still use them if they are at least 1.740 but I load them separately with all the cases that are shorter so OAL stays consistent.

Some guys neck size, I don't and never would for ammo going to the match chambers on my AR and M1A.

1 hour ago, loaded605 said:

If you measure it before resizing it will be shorter. Resizing, if done properly, case stretches it and it will be longer and would need trimming. I don't trim cases that are long enough, obviously. I don't have a progressive for .223 so I am single staging them. I have some that are short... I still use them if they are at least 1.740 but I load them separately with all the cases that are shorter so OAL stays consistent.

Some guys neck size, I don't and never would for ammo going to the match chambers on my AR and M1A.

Most of the 100 cases I measured were from 1.730 to 1.745 range. They were all resized ready to reload. Brass is a mix of LC, FC, R-P and Win.

Trimming the case has anything to do with OAL. OAL depends on how far you seat the bullet in the case.

Most of the 100 cases I measured were from 1.730 to 1.745 range. They were all resized ready to reload. Brass is a mix of LC, FC, R-P and Win.

Trimming the case has anything to do with OAL. OAL depends on how far you seat the bullet in the case.

My die sucks, need new one. If case lengths are same, they seat the same. If varied, they don't. I know it makes no sense, it is just how it works.

I have no idea how in 15 years you never have resized cases that measure over 1.750. This is one of a bunch of cases I got at the range yesterday from a buddy. They were new Independence (federal) with primer sealant (which is gone after tumbling). Still can see factory crimp.

cf559b4abddfcb01271bd7f8e10edba2.jpg
6a4de83f4a7cb4364a543c861763faa4.jpg

This was a different new Federal case, same guy different ammo, didn't see the box. He doesn't reload but this could have been reman. Still... It is 1.747 before resizing.

3f1d6278721b139452db5394de2090cf.jpg
46603523995715d605883418669768b6.jpg

Most LC range brass, not all, that I have found is reman and twice fired, no annealing or crimp. Most once fired R-P is usually has factory crimp on the neck and usually measures around 1.760, at least for me. Your caliper may vary.

1 hour ago, loaded605 said:

My die sucks, need new one. If case lengths are same, they seat the same. If varied, they don't. I know it makes no sense, it is just how it works.

I have no idea how in 15 years you never have resized cases that measure over 1.750. This is one of a bunch of cases I got at the range yesterday from a buddy. They were new Independence (federal) with primer sealant (which is gone after tumbling). Still can see factory crimp.

cf559b4abddfcb01271bd7f8e10edba2.jpg
6a4de83f4a7cb4364a543c861763faa4.jpg

This was a different new Federal case, same guy different ammo, didn't see the box. He doesn't reload but this could have been reman. Still... It is 1.747 before resizing.

3f1d6278721b139452db5394de2090cf.jpg
46603523995715d605883418669768b6.jpg

Most LC range brass, not all, that I have found is reman and twice fired, no annealing or crimp. Most once fired R-P is usually has factory crimp on the neck and usually measures around 1.760, at least for me. Your caliper may vary.

Like I said,

I don't get it?

I have a pin set. My caliper is dead on spec.

Dmshozer,  like you all my federal or lc brass is between 1.740 and 1.750 I have a couple k worth of wolf and pmc brass from a known source and almost all of those are between 1.754 and 1.760 with a few hundred over max case length . Those all came from the same gun. All the fed and lc brass came from my gun. All brass has been resized  . Thanks for the replies, still learning this reloading thing, only done about 300  .223 and 2 k of 40 s/w , still very new to me . 

I've yet to see any Fed case over 1.74, if that. Until fired, then they maybe 1.745ish, maybe.   I process on a 1050, using the rt1200 trimmer. I set trim length to 1.745 for longer firings before needing to trim again.

7 hours ago, cjim said:

I've yet to see any Fed case over 1.74, if that. Until fired, then they maybe 1.745ish, maybe.   I process on a 1050, using the rt1200 trimmer. I set trim length to 1.745 for longer firings before needing to trim again.

I agree,

That is why I don't understand the statement by people that say they trim all their brass to 1.750 when most brass never reaches that length?

On 10/22/2016 at 9:04 PM, dmshozer1 said:

Correction,

If you seat a bullet with a cannelure it will determine to a degree the OAL.

4 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

I agree,

That is why I don't understand the statement by people that say they trim all their brass to 1.750 when most brass never reaches that length?

Depends on your brass.  I have my trimming operation set to 1.750" and a majority of my brass gets trimmed (most Lake City along with some Federal, PMC and GFL).  The Federal is typically shorter than 1.750" IME.

10 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

I agree,

I dont understand whats not to understand ! I run all my once or more fired brass thru the rt1500 sizing and trimming it if needed. If its shorter than 1.750 no trim occurs ...longer than it trims......seems fool proof to me ! Your Millage May Vary.

On 10/22/2016 at 11:40 AM, dmshozer1 said:

I don't get it,

Curious?

I don't get it?

I used to only trim every 3rd or 4th firing then I started getting issues with long brass not chambering. I now trim after every firing. I just run everything through my dillion trimmer fast and easy and consistent. 

Pat

IMHO trimming is a safety step not an accuracy step, I set my Giraud to trim .005 from the end of the chamber(Sinclair sells a mild steel plug combined with a modified case to find the end of the chamber) of my bolt guns, the Giraud trims the case fine, if the case needs to grow some fine, I can't shoot the difference, for my AR's 1.750 and 2.005 is my trim length, consistent OAL case length is important because I slightly crimp semi auto rounds 

On 10/22/2016 at 3:40 PM, dmshozer1 said:

I don't get it,

Curious?

I don't get it?

Okay,

Now we are getting somewhere.

Most before my post were saying they trim everything to 1.750. My question was how can that be done when most brass is to short to do that.

Now most are saying they only trim  cases over 1.750. That I understand.

Measured 100 more mixed cases. Two were over 1.750. I guess brass up here in the N.E. doesn't grow as much as other parts of the country.

Must be the weather!

Thanks boys and girls

If you do not have a brass processing setup with a Dillon or other powered trimmer  RCBS x dies are nice.  They have a shelf inside the die that prevents the cases from lengthening when sized.  You can trim brass to 1.75 or less once, if it is longer and not have to worry about it again.  However, if you pick up range brass from other shooters you still have to check for long cases.   Thought it worth mentioning.