Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which S_i Mag For 9mm Open Gun?

Ron Rodgers

I'm building a 9mm open gun on an STI frame and can't decide whether to go with SV or STI mags.

Most people I've talked to say STI mags are cheaper and easier to get, but require spacers - and even then aren't as reliable as SV mags.

Thoughts?

STI mags are easier to get, but they need spacers, I have 6 STI mags with stainless steel spacers installed by Beven Grams, they run great no problems through over 4K rounds. I have 2 SV tubes I'll sell you if you want :D

Hey Ron, I'm with Chriss on this one. Get the SV mag's. I shoot both super and 9 so I don't have to worry about pulling the spacers out. You will also be able to load longer if you what to try diffrent powders without compressing them.

I have STI and SVI mags and they both run fine. But, the spacers needed for the STI's don't give you much wiggle room. Longer than 1.17 or so and they jam the mag. Load too short and you can run into pressure problems.

Since most of my mags are STI w/ spacers, I have to drop check my rounds AND use a caliper to make sure that a longer one didn't make it through -- there's a pretty small window between 1.55 and 1.70. Anyway, it's a pain. I've thought about getting SVI mags but no one seems to have them in stock.

Although there are plenty of folks out there running STI mags and having no problems after getting there ammo and spacers dialed. If possible just go with the SVI mags and be done with it. Mine have been flawless and I can use ammo from factory length all the way to 1.20.

Good luck, Craig

I standardized on STI mags with spacers because I had occasional problems with my SV mags with or without spacers. It wasn't a continual thing, but to me, even an intermittent problem is unacceptable. Plus, 170mm SV tubes are hard to find. Granted, I didn't try to load long for the SV tubes, but used the same 1.155 OAL for both mags at the time. My current setup is STI tubes with stainless spacers, Dawson +1 pads, and Grams kits. I know lot's of people who run SV mags with no spacers and have no problems. Wish I were one of them. Spacers aren't a big deal but they are a bit more trouble when cleaning mags, etc. Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...

Keep an eye on the classified section here. I've seen a bunch of SVI mags pop up. You have to be constantly watching, and then be quick. A pair came up 2 weeks ago and I bought them just to have for steel matches. The USPSA classifieds have them from time to time as well. Persistance is the key. ;)

Hi Ron,

I am on the same path as you building a 9major with a STI lower.

From what I've heard from my friends who compete in IPSC, they tell me to get the SV mags or tubes. But it's really really hard to find.

So, I will end up like most other people, and go with the STI tubes, change the guts, and have them tuned.

PS Are you going toward a shorty or a 5"

• 4 weeks later...