Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass hitting the slide ride

Gman57

New to the open class and Major 9. I'm having a n issue with the brass hitting the regular slide ride during ejection and bouncing back into the ejection port..... anyone else having this problem? What's the fix? Get a shorter reflex sight?

Thanks

G

1 minute ago, Gman57 said:

New to the open class and Major 9. I'm having a n issue with the brass hitting the regular slide ride during ejection and bouncing back into the ejection port..... anyone else having this problem? What's the fix? Get a shorter reflex sight?

Thanks

G

Say what? Never heard of that.

Of course I'm kidding you. You have never heard of this before? It's literally the number one problem to overcome in a 9MAJOR open gun! 90 degree mounts were invented to eliminate the problem. 

You can tune ejectors, change mag springs, etc, but to have a dead nuts reliable gun you just about have to switch out the upright cmore mount or go to one of the smaller optics like RTS2.

Seriously do a search on here or just start reading the open gun forum. Probably a million discussions on the subject. lol

You can experiment with shaping the tip of your ejector, but so long as you're running mixed brass you will probably experience the occasional problem.

Switching to a 90 degree mount or a micro red dot will probably be the easiest fixes.

ohh X-five open I see, I talked with the sig sauer guys at european handcung championship  last week, they are coming out with a dedicated mount for the sig romeo3 very soon they said, for x-five mount thingy. 

Before spending money on a different sight. I would try to radius the current mount. It looks like there is a lot of material you could get rid of on the tail of the mount. By removing some material you may be able to get the rounds to clear reliably. Patrick Kelley had to do the same thing with the mount on his vista open gun.

Hello: Look and see where it is hitting and radius the mount in that spot. You can also make the face on the ejector flat so the rounds are coming out flatter. You can also play with the ejector length so the slide comes back further before the round starts to cant outwards. Thanks, Eric

I've installed an extended ejector with the tip as long as it can go, which ejects the brass sooner and gets it out of the port faster.  The ejector tip is angled slightly from the top and has only a very small flat (contact) area, so it hits the brass as high up as possible and ejects it as low as it can go.  The extractor (Aftec) is tensioned to hold an empty case but not clamp it like a vise. 

This, and the brass still hit the back end of the C-more slideride and bounced back into the ejection port.  It doesn't hit the mount itself anymore (it did before I did the mods above, but the ejection is now more rearward) but does hit the scope's "tail".  I noticed it clearly when I had an aluminum C-more on the gun; the marks were in the tail area of the scope, and not on the mount (blue Dykem told me that). 

Don't go grinding all over the mount before you know where the brass are impacting.  A black Sharpie or Dykem layout fluid will help you  see if it's happening (on a silver mount; on black, look for dinging from the brass.  But do the ejector/extractor work first.)

Mine has been fine since I changed to the offset mount.  The 90-degree mount is also an option, of course, although you have to get used to the body of the scope being right next to the dot.  Many folks say it's not a bad transition and they like the 90-degree.  Either of these options is about $89 for the mount, plus s/h.  The other option is a mini-scope (RTS2, DPP), which adds a lot more bucks, but many folks like them.  Your call. 

There are thousands upon thousands of 9mm open guns with the traditional mounts, that run like sawing machines day in and day out.  So it is way to early to throw in the towel and go with a 90 degrees mount, that many people simply don't like with passion.

You are not saying who built the gun - but in most cases it is best just to go to the maker.  Even if you bought a used one, the builder will take care of it. 

6 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

Keep in mind in his situation the mount isn't 90$ and aren't mass produced.

Very true.... No longer imported (for now anyway)

4 hours ago, Foxbat said:

There are thousands upon thousands of 9mm open guns with the traditional mounts, that run like sawing machines day in and day out.  So it is way to early to throw in the towel and go with a 90 degrees mount, that many people simply don't like with passion.

You are not saying who built the gun - but in most cases it is best just to go to the maker.  Even if you bought a used one, the builder will take care of it. 

Sig factory gun... Master Shop (German custom shop) Not so easy. My best bet for now is the RTS2 as the mount is drilled and tapped for this too. Live and learn I guess :P

Edited by Gman57

I agree with Eric, I would start by looking at the ejector shape. 

Moving to the RTS2 is a drastic step, and if you did that, I would also consider making new mounting plate - it is a simple part to make and swap.  The reason being - you don't need it to extend that far back.