Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Brass Tumble.. Question about brass

straightravage

I just tumbled my first .38 SC shells (approx. 500). They are mostly Star line brass, maybe a few other brands as they might have accidently been picked up. I have always purchased new brass, but bow I have about 2k used rounds in zip lock bags and I want to reuse them.

I have cleaned them and during the inspection part... I noticed a few that seem to have a bulge towards the base of the shell. I would assume its in the area where the shell isn't supported by the chamber.

What is allowed for sidewall bulge? It might be a tough question to answer, but I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks!

To put yourself at peace:

Take one with the most noticeable bulge. Size it, load it with a bullet. Crimp it.

(Load it with primer and powder if you like, or make it a dummy)

Then drop it into the back of your gun's barrel. If it goes in smoothly with a tiny amount of wiggle, spins easily, and drops smoothly back out when the barrel is flipped over, you are good to go.

If it drops in partway but not flush like your existing ammo, you have a sizing or crimp problem due to either defective brass or an issue with your press & die setup.

If it drops in all the way - or close - but doesn't spin, then you're loading your ammo too long and the bullet is getting shoved into the rifling before the cartridge chambers all the way.

6 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Case gauges are great, but they are no substitute for your barrel...you won't be firing that round from your case gauge...

I believe that a case gauge with a tighter tolerance than your barrel is a great substitute for your barrel and that from experience.

The resizing die will handle the bulge. Lee is good. I used one on my .40 tool head because bulges are common, courtesy of Uncle Gaston, in that particular caliber.

Why it happens? Several reasons. Lack of barrel support for the casing, small surface resistance compared with to the huge amount of pressure. 

Good answers above.  One important (to me) caveat. If the bulge is too bad, your sizing die may not just resize the bulge, but will actually slice off  some of the brass leaving an area at the base thinner at one side than another. So look at the bulged brass after you've sized it for a "shinier" spot, and watch your press for small semi-circular brass shavings.

As to Case Gauges, I have 2 for my 38 Super, a Wilson and an EGW. The EGW will accept cases that will not go through the Wilson. And my barrels (I have 2 Supers) will accept ammo that won't go through the EGW.

51 minutes ago, dons said:

Good answers above.  One important (to me) caveat. If the bulge is too bad, your sizing die may not just resize the bulge, but will actually slice off  some of the brass leaving an area at the base thinner at one side than another. So look at the bulged brass after you've sized it for a "shinier" spot, and watch your press for small semi-circular brass shavings.

Case lube fixes most of that.