Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrels Out Of SAAMI Spec

With a bunch of new parts out on the market driving trigger pull weights to places many thought wouldn't be possible with the Tanfo platform some light strike issues have popped up. 

Many of the newer import guns we're seeing have barrels that are out of SAAMI spec. We're seeing tighter chambers, short/no free bore, and a smaller ID of the starting lands area of the rifling (might be due to the polygonal rifling) which could cause issues with coated bullets. Yes the crutch fix would be to load shorter but this doesn't address all the issues with your barrel. If your gun does fall into this category of an out of spec chamber it could cause your gun to sit slightly out of battery. This in return would cause light strikes or other issues. I've personally heard of a few guys that since have had their barrels reamed be able to drop down hammer spring weight and set off everything reliably. 

In conclusion make sure your ammo passes the plunk test and spins freely once it is in there, or if your able to cast a mold of your chamber. If your not able to run as light of springs as other due to light strikes this may be your area of concern.

I'm curious as to if this is the reason my 2015 Stock II started shearing lugs like the barrel wasn't fitted correctly in my other thread.  I never thought to check the chamber, and I really wish I had.

Of course it got to Florida just in time for EAA to shut down for the hurricane so it's in delivery limbo.

In addition to the plunk test, I found per another users very good suggestion to tap on the round with your finger and see if it will drop out freely when turning it upside down. After I got it reamed, they all fall out freely. 

14 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

Nunez, how's your gun running now after the barrel was reamed to spec?

It's running great. Put in the 10# PD Hammer Spring (5 DA/Low 2 to 1.15oz SA) just to see and was surprised that I was getting less light primer strikes than I was with the 13#. About to get hit with a hurricane in a couple hours, but when its done I'm going to test the 12# Hammer Spring and see if I can get 100% with CCI Primers. And I'm going to do an accuracy test as well. I'll post all the info once I get it all figured out. 

6 hours ago, nunez said:

It's running great. Put in the 10# PD Hammer Spring (5 DA/Low 2 to 1.15oz SA) just to see and was surprised that I was getting less light primer strikes than I was with the 13#. About to get hit with a hurricane in a couple hours, but when its done I'm going to test the 12# Hammer Spring and see if I can get 100% with CCI Primers. And I'm going to do an accuracy test as well. I'll post all the info once I get it all figured out. 

What else is your gun equipped with internally and how's the trigger with the 12 pounder?

11 minutes ago, Mike Morcillo said:

Does anybody ever trim their brass for overall length?

I've literally never met anyone (sane) who had that kind of time to waste.

I'd go back to Glock / M&P before I dealt with a gun which was that much of a princess. No other handgun needs that.

Finally heard back from Tanfoglio on this topic and they claim they had an issue with the "Tooling" which i take it was their reamer.......... They have stated it has now been corrected, soooooooo i guess we're all good now. 

Lol. By all good now... meaning "you all have barrels out of spec. But people buying new guns won't. Everything is ok!"

Did they say when this was fixed? Maybe people with newer guns don't have the problem and would be able to know by the production month.

Yea if you send the barrel to Becin Grams, he will hog it out for nearly nothing co.pared with the time it takes to have eaa look at it.

I am worried about someone opening it up too much, and losing accuracy. Is this something I shouldn't be worried about?

Also, I would like to hear if anyone knows if Grams has any data on the barrels that have come to him, how many were actually out of spec or not.

Bevin is the guy to talk to, he's using a custom reamer to his specs and its right on the money for Tanfo guys. I had a pretty in depth conversation with him last week and it sounds like just about every barrel he has gotten from a tanfo was out of spec....