Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 and high primer issue

Hello,

I've been reloading with my 650 for over 6 months now in both 40 and 9.

Lately while loading some 40s I am seeing too many high primers (about 1 in 20). When I saw this, I made an effort to make sure I went slowly and push the handle fully to ensure that the primer would seat. But even doing this, I still had the same issues with about the same number.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few things to check:

First, be sure the primer seater assembly is fully threaded snugly up into the underside of the platform. Use a 9/16" open end wrench to do this.

Next, push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 4. If it feels springy, then the shellplate bolt needs to be snugged down a bit more.

If your bench top is plywood, it can flex enough to cause variations in primer seating. We recommend 1" particle board as a minimum.

Be sure that the handle doesn't stop against anything when you push forward on the handle.

Make sure the sheet metal loaded round chute bracket is not bent towards the platform. If bent, it can catch on the edge of the platform, and inhibit full forward movement of the handle.

Thanks for the fast response!

I wonder if the fact that I stopped lubing my cases has anything to do w it since there is more "rough" movement now as the shells progress to the next station. There might be more flex on my workbench as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was getting high primers like that, I found that the handle was bumping up against the bullet bin. Sliding that bin away and toward the back, and then making sure to push and pause solved the few problems I was having. (if you center the bullet bin the handle wants to hit it, but if you slide it a half inch or so toward the rear, no more issues) 

I'd go with shell plate too loose as well. Seat the bolt fully, then back it off only enough that the shell plate turns freely. No more. I find its only about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Closer to 1/8. Bear in mind, the set screw will increase the tension slightly. Check yours.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

This is why I like the bearing kit. I tighten my shell plate almost snug and it will still turn. No wobble at all.

I also believe the lack of lube is part of the problem like the op stated. I know oal varies more when loading dry cases so it stands to reason primer seating COULD be affected.

Bu most likely the plate needs snugged slightly.

for me on 650's I use the roller bearing with 1 washer (on top). as sarge points out it enables me to get the shell plate nice and tight but still rotate without friction. I also paint an index mark (straight line) on the bolt head with white paint market right at the 9 oclock position. I can see if that line is not pointing exactly to 9 oclock then the bolt has moved.

once set properly it stays put for many, many thousands of rounds. :)

On 9/13/2016 at 7:01 AM, Sarge said:

This is why I like the bearing kit. I tighten my shell plate almost snug and it will still turn. No wobble at all.

I also believe the lack of lube is part of the problem like the op stated. I know oal varies more when loading dry cases so it stands to reason primer seating COULD be affected.

Bu most likely the plate needs snugged slightly.

Sarge where did you get he bearing kit from. I am using the plastic ball and lighter spring with a brass washer from snowshoe out of Alaska. He does great mods but I was thinking of getting bearing also. 

8 hours ago, dillon said:

Be aware that some 40 S&W brass, usually Federal, can have crimped primer pockets. We are also seeing some Winchester 9mm commercial ammunition with crimped primer pockets.

45 ACP as well. Ugh...

On 9/15/2016 at 9:32 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

Sarge where did you get he bearing kit from. I am using the plastic ball and lighter spring with a brass washer from snowshoe out of Alaska. He does great mods but I was thinking of getting bearing also. 

I thought I had bookmarked snowshoe's ebay profile so I could buy his kit at a later time, but now can't find it. Any chance you have a link?

1 hour ago, Phlier said:

I thought I had bookmarked snowshoe's ebay profile so I could buy his kit at a later time, but now can't find it. Any chance you have a link?

Don't have the link but his eBay profile is snowshooze. It should bring it up. Mark out of ankorage Alaska 

Thank you very much! He seems to be about the only one that offers a lower powered spring for the ball. I've heard of people clipping their factory springs with varying results. I'd much rather just replace the whole spring.

Edit: Actually, it appears that he only sells the spring/ball kits for the other Dillon presses; for the 1050, he only offers a replacement ball, not the spring.

Edited by Phlier

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:07 AM, dillon said:

Be aware that some 40 S&W brass, usually Federal, can have crimped primer pockets. We are also seeing some Winchester 9mm commercial ammunition with crimped primer pockets.

So in other words, buy the 1050 press from now on? B)