Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Revolvers at USPSA

Alaskan454

Revolvers are on the production list so there should be no reason why you couldn't use one in Carry Optics. I would email DNROI for a ruling on it.

Edit: Sorry just caught the Semi-autos only on the appendix for CO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I emailed the president asking about optics on a revolver back in July.  He seemed open to ideas so send him a note and show there is interest in adding them to CO.  His main concern seemed to be dividing an already small group of shooters with rule changes.  I think enough people are still getting used to the 8 shooter rule.  From my viewpoint an easy way to gauge interest would be allowing Open as its own division for the Revolver Nationals next year.  If they offered it I would try my best to attend in 17' and run an optic.

Email your AD. Email the prez. Just send a quick note. This has been brought up about letting them in CO. We just need to make sure we are heard by the people who are going to make that vote. 

My 929 will be set up for Open Minor for use in N.Y. Local matches since the competition is held to 10rnds anyway..  Hey,. Just another way to enjoy a match with friends..  Switch the sights,. Swap out the comp and it's back to Revo division!!!

11 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

I think CO is the way to go if they can figure out how to phrase the rules.  All they really need to say is "Use any revolver division gun, put optics on it."

Agreed..  Just as long as ammo doesn't need to be placed behind hip bone!!!

Just curious. When you guys say open revolver, do you mean a revolver with ports and major ammo?  I only have a 627 or a 929 with a RTS2 sitting on top.  Would ports or a comp make any difference when shooting minor loads?  Leaving the comp on the 929 doesn't seem to do much.  I'm shooting TiteGroup with 135 gr bullets.

Make sure you share you thoughts with the prez and your area director.  Mine both responded to my emails rather quickly.

Edited by BadShot

A revolver with a dot is open revolver and just like an open gun anything that you can do to it. Even though I have a comp and ports they do not do much as I only  shoot minor. But as a cool factor they are righteous.

It doesn't matter what anyone does to a revolver, it's not even going to beat a production gun, let alone a CO gun. It's just too much of an advantage having faster loads, 3 spare rounds on board, and a better trigger. 

We should let open revolvers play in CO. Dots, ports/comps and Rae holsters. 

1 hour ago, MWP said:

It doesn't matter what anyone does to a revolver, it's not even going to beat a production gun, let alone a CO gun. It's just too much of an advantage having faster loads, 3 spare rounds on board, and a better trigger. 

We should let open revolvers play in CO. Dots, ports/comps and Rae holsters. 

Don't ever say never as there are revolver shooters out there that can beat most anything. Give me a B production or CO shooter and I will give them a run for their money or leave them in the dust. ;)

4 hours ago, revoman said:

Don't ever say never as there are revolver shooters out there that can beat most anything. Give me a B production or CO shooter and I will give them a run for their money or leave them in the dust. ;)

I'm in the same boat. But I can't beat myself with a revo if you give me any auto. And I'm a terrible auto shooter. 

If you're forced to run in Open, shoot Major with 38 special cases.  Heard of some in Europe who were using smaller cases like short colt, don't know if I'd try it though.

Let's see a 627 with side mount optics a kick ass compensator and added weight, like a TRP with a lead filled flash light attached to the rails, using 38 special starline brass, hearthco moonclips, and pushing a 125 JHP at 1360 f/s for 170 pf.  Sounds like fun!!!  

Side Note, Planning on shooting a classifier next week using my 627 with a load of .355 124 JHP MG bullets and 20.3 H110 at 1530 f/s to get some trigger time with serious work loads, the rest of the match will be with match loads 160 byu's at 820 f/s.  Don't think I have to worry about making minor.  

All it takes is changing out the FS.  The serious load thumps you but still getting .20 splits on a 10 yard 12" plate, but man is it LOUD!

I really don't think there would be THAT a great advantage between shooting a "sighted" revolver or an "open" revolver in USPSA., the time is in the reloads. IF there were seen to be a BIG advantage and the "DOT" guns were far superior??, then  there would be a switch to the dots in mass.  In my own case, (age 74) It ain't  going to make much difference.  My eyesight begs for the "dot" and there for I don't shoot a revolver in USPSA. (Which I would, if allowed). IF you gave MR. Leatham a sighted revolver and me a "dot" revolver, who do you think will win????....

This morning I shot a USPSA match and used my 625 with irons for the first time all year.  I have two observations:

1. I still prefer a revolver to an auto

2. I prefer shooting a revolver with optics

I'm going to pick up an 8 shooter this Fall and whether the rules change or not I'll think I will shoot it with my CMore in USPSA.

1 hour ago, Alaskan454 said:

Well, I just did a little shopping under the influence.  There's a 929 heading my way to play in open!

I want you to do a test for me when you get it. It only comes with that little crud catcher single port comp, but that is what we have to play with so it will have to do. Load up some 90 grain 380 bullets with AA#7 at about 130 pf and see how she shoots. Inquiring minds want to know.

5 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

I want you to do a test for me when you get it. It only comes with that little crud catcher single port comp, but that is what we have to play with so it will have to do. Load up some 90 grain 380 bullets with AA#7 at about 130 pf and see how she shoots. Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't have any #7 on hand but HS6 should have more powder volume to compare against Titegroup, which I was going to try first with147s.  It might be a while before I get around to it, but I'll post my observations.  

I'd guess that USPSA does not want 2 revolver divisions ("Limited" and "Open") as there are not many revolver  shooter's compared to the bottom feeder's, I really can't blame them as there seems to be a "new" division monthly.  Why they just did not say revolver division and leave it alone, who knows.  It would not take long to find out "dot" or "not". At age 74 +++, I'll take a dot