Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sixx's draw

sixx

I'll never bother with an optical sight. When I worked out a lot with a speed rig, and after I warmed up a bit, a surrender start and reliable hits on the 10" A zone averaged under .80 second at 5 yds. The same was true at 10 yds, but about half of the shots would be C's. I would have to slow down another .15 second to make them all be A's at 10 yds, and even that was no guarantee under match stress. Are guys much faster than that today? I hear that the split times are much faster than the .16 second that was about all I could manage. I wonder, tho, if that's from having the tactically unsound sub-2 lb trigger pulls? I was using Bob Arganbright's variant of the Hackathorn special (muzzle forward rake verson). The Hack (by Sparks) had a lot of leather in the way of getting your middle finger tight up against the bottom of the trigger guard,so I had Bob remove it.

quote=MattBurkett,Apr 21 2005, 12:57 PM]

(fingers straight and together)

A good starting point is for the weak hand to be 45 degrees "kicked out" at the bottom. The fingers are straight but not tensed. Relax for the speed - on both hands.

If anyone has any questions or sees somthing posted about my technique, drop me an email - not a PM - at matt@burkettvideo.com and I will try to add what I can.

Take care,

Matt

PS I will try to follow this thread while I am teaching in TN this weekend and answer any questions. :-)

I'll never bother with an optical sight.  When I worked out a lot with a speed rig, and after I warmed up a bit, a surrender start and reliable hits on the 10" A zone averaged under .80 second at 5 yds.  The same was true at 10 yds, but about half of the shots would be C's.  I would have to slow down another .15 second to make them all be A's at  10 yds, and even that was no guarantee under match stress.

No, the times have not come down much from that - but you're not talking about anything all that difficult to do, either. Irons and Optics are roughly equivalent at that range, on a target that size, working at high speed. When you go to a tighter shot, especially under match pressure - that's where the optics are going to step away from the irons in a bigger hurry.

Are guys much faster than that today? I hear that the split times are much faster than the .16 second that was about all I could manage.

Fast splits, in and of themselves, don't really mean all that much. Some guys can do .10s, true, but... it's not necessary...

I wonder, tho, if that's from having the tactically unsound sub-2 lb trigger pulls?

No less tactically unsound than your speed rig ;) I'm still giggling over this - you're worried about how "tactically sound" a trigger job is, but you were practicing out of a speed rig??? Come on, man :lol:

BTW - what makes them so tactically unsound?? I could buy concerns of liability when you AD into a bad guy under stress, but anything else....

.8's at 10 yards, limited sights, getting A's and your splits are better than the best shooters use in a match. I don't think there is much anyone here can teach you, since the best in the world average slower times than you.

FWIW, I can crank .14 or better splits from a stock Glock 17 (dunno how tactically-sound they are, but the trigger is way over 2 lbs), and I'm no splits-meister. Splits still don't win matches. On the other speeds, they're in the ballpark of the good shooters. I know the freak-speed-demons are running 0.6 draws (& hits) on Smoke & Hope, but it's not exactly necessary as many have pointed out.

• 4 weeks later...

If this is gunkid, as he claims, he would not bother with optics as his day was before optics were used. But that's just what he claims. Since he talks about Fowler and Dalton knowing him, and gunkid was supposed to be in the slammer for something like 15 years, well I doubt this is gunkid. Still a troll, but not gunkid.

Deaf

I'd like to remind EVERYBODY of the forum rules, especially this:

Attitude

Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful. Please – no antagonistic or quarrelsome tones.

Note: You'll be happier if you don't irritate the Moderators. ;)

Kyle F.

Administrator