Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Round AR Mag

Bob H

I'm looking for an AR 15 40 round magazine for my attempts at 3 gun.

Researched finding a good one on the AR15.com website and learned not to buy a USA steel mag but not much else.

Thanks in advance, Bob.

The 40 round magazines tend to be very particular.  Those shooters in my club who use them have tested them in their rifle, and won't loan them or use them in other rifles they own.

Once you find a mag that works for you, don't change anything.  Even changing ammo can turn a reliable mag into a POS.

I want,  need, gotta have , can't live without one!

Where can I get one?

Oh yea, how much are they?

One more question. I assume that when you say "great" that you mean your rifle will reliably feed 45 (44?) rounds from it?

I only load 44 in it and really only shoot into the 30s in matches. But it could be loaded with 45 and topped off for 46. :)

Just forget about shooting prone.

I don't know where to get them or how much they cost. (They are blashphemous contraband according to the Caliban regime.) I might have seen them in the ar15.com classifieds from time to time.

• 1 month later...

true, the Sterling 40's are the best, I have 3 of them

I also have a Thermold 30/45 and it works great

My friend in Texas is selling the Thermold 30/45's for about $50 each and he has about 10 of them to get rid of, he doesnt like them and he has plenty of Sterlings

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know that if you brought that 40 rd. mag into Ohio and used it for a three gun match, you can legally be charged with a felony. Ohio has a law that use of a mag of more than 30 rounds constitutes the same type of penalty as owning a full auto without papers?

Check those state laws...

(Edited by parsonm1 at 7:55 am on Oct. 1, 2002)

This is a good point and perhaps our host might consider helping us set up a FAQ or database covering USPSA/IPSC/IDPA equipment affected by particular state laws.

For example, this issue came up recently in Area 8 where a major factory gun match was held in New Jersey. State law forbids any magazine over (I think) 15 rounds; my STI mags hold 16 rounds - never mind the fact that they don't work with 16 - I apparently could not bring them into the state "as is". Could I temporarily modify them to hold less? What modifications are allowed under the new laws? Who knows?

Fact is that many of these state law questions present "novel issues of law". As a lawyer for an appellate court dealing with the application of new laws to specific factual scenarios, I am not surprised at the confusion preceding the New Jersey match. New laws require precedential cases to interpret the bounds of the law intended by the legislature. For new laws, such precedents do not yet exist.

I believe a basic, state-by-state FAQ of the new gun laws might be helpful to us in avoiding becoming the "test case" for such laws.  In particular, the IPSC-related equipment laws of California, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Hawaii might be particularly useful. We would, of course, add the appropriate disclaimers regarding checking with the NRA or the state to verify that the information had not changed, etc.  What do you think Brian?    

(Edited by Carlos at 9:05 am on Oct. 2, 2002)

I don't want to sound like an anti-government thug, but as far as Ohio and over-30 round magazines are concerned, they can eat my shorts.

As for out of State shooters, wouldn't the FOPA 1986 preclude prosecution?

Oh, to win the big game lotto, and found a legal firm whose sole existance is to beat them bloody over issues such as this.

jhgtyre: Thanks for the site - its excellent.

Erik and Flex: point taken. Perhaps NRA ILA or USPSA would be a better host for state law FAQ.

Back on topic: I just picked up but have not tested 2 USA brand steel 40 rounders from CDNN. If they are USA brand,  I know they have a terrible reputation for reliability. But, perhaps I can get them to work with decent green replacement followers and some TLC. I like the idea of steel in a mag I plan to drop all over the ground on a regular basis. If I cannot tune them myself, then can we convince Bevin to add AR mags to the list of mags he works on?  

Carlos,

I have one of the 40 round USA mags from CDNN and have had no problems from it.  I make sure to keep it very clean and never leave it loaded just to be safe.  Maybe it is hit or miss with them but I haven't even changed out the follower or the spring on this mag and it just keeps on feeding bullets into the gun.  I hope you have the same luck with yours.

-jhgtyre

• 1 month later...