Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Rear Sight

MedicAJ

I had a rear sight pin walking out. When I called STI they told me to ship the slide to them and they would replace the sight.

I ended up tapping the pin out a bit to each side and applied a drop of red loctite before tapping it back (had to be quick on the 2nd side).  It seems to hold up so far.

Had this happen to me towards the end of a match last year.  Was wondering why my rear sight didn't seem level and I was not getting the hits I expected.  I fashioned a replacement pin from some finishing nails I had available - sorry, I don't know what size nails they were.  I made more than one replacement pin, just in case...  

Some additional advice:  when loctiting the pin in place, do not get any loctite on the hinge area if you want the sight to remain adjustable.  Don't ask me how I know.

The pin in my Trojan started to walk, so I just peened the hole in the side of the sight and have zero issues in 9 years.

Replacement is a drill bit cut a tad shorter than the width of the sight and peeded.

If I remember correctly the STI pin has a notch on the center of the pin. serves as a detent to keep pin from walking out but, very prone to break at the notch. A solid pin is a better way to go.

The pins walked out of both my 9 mm Edges. STI wanted me to send the whole slide in for R&R....really??

did a fairly good job of peening the edge of the sights on the first one...the other one I knocked the hell out of the sight with hammer and small chisel.......I was at a class and had no choice.   The metal on the rear sight is damn thought stuff.

So why don't they simply pean the sights at the factory ?????......this is ridiculous !!!