Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Egw U Die

Azone41

This is straight from the EGW site:

"EGW offers custom made, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. These dies also flair lower than some other sizing dies and size the case further down, which may prevent feed failures from cases bulged near the base as is typical of brass fired in Glock and other loose chambered guns."

I've got no problems with how the die works or what I paid for it.  However, the description above is very misleading as to who actually makes the die.

A whole lot of custom parts aren't made by the guy with his name on the package. It's just the way it is. They figure out what they want, and order 'em from a manufacturer and put their name on it. Doug Koenig isn't filing out hammers and sears in his garage.. Caspian probably doesn't cast Caspian frames. Nothing wrong there. If somebody else can do it to specs and more efficiently than you can, that's where you go.

A whole lot of custom parts aren't made by the guy with his name on the package.  It's just the way it is.  They figure out what they want, and order 'em from a manufacturer and put their name on it.  Doug Koenig isn't filing out hammers and sears in his garage.. Caspian probably doesn't cast Caspian frames.  Nothing wrong there.  If somebody else can do it to specs and more efficiently than you can, that's where you go.

FWIW: Sources say that some of the Caspian frames are made/cast by Ruger, final machining done by Caspian. Info from two different sources, have not been able to verify it though. :blink:

FWIW: Sources say that some of the Caspian frames are made/cast by Ruger, final machining done by Caspian. Info from two different sources, have not been able to verify it though.  :blink:

Caspian has never hid the fact that they use Ruger investment castings for their cast frames. Ruger does a lot of casting work for a lot of different companies, not just ones in the firearm industry.

From Caspian's web site

All critical dimensions are machined to exacting specifications on our preheat treated blanks cast by Ruger's Pine Tree Foundry. Nobody holds their rail specs and hole locations tighter than we do. All Caspian Steel Receivers are "GUARANTEED FOR LIFE"

I don't think George is hiding anything..he just took something and made it better..

I have one in 9mm and have one in 9x21 that is marked with a CP on it too..

no big deal..

no secret on the Caspian frames being casted at Pinetree..been done for years..one of the best frames out there..with one of the best reputations for longevity.

His Dies work very well....I have one in Both 9mm and 40 SW.

The 9mm garanty me perfect re-sizing for my 9mm Major (Open), no more ammo to take apart, while for the 40sw I don't think it was required had very little loaded rejection...but since I was getting one for my 9mm may as well....for the price I think his work is excellent only 22.00 each....after all.

FWIW: Sources say that some of the Caspian frames are made/cast by Ruger, final machining done by Caspian. Info from two different sources, have not been able to verify it though.  :blink:

Caspian has never hid the fact that they use Ruger investment castings for their cast frames. Ruger does a lot of casting work for a lot of different companies, not just ones in the firearm industry.

From Caspian's web site

All critical dimensions are machined to exacting specifications on our preheat treated blanks cast by Ruger's Pine Tree Foundry. Nobody holds their rail specs and hole locations tighter than we do. All Caspian Steel Receivers are "GUARANTEED FOR LIFE"

Sorry, did not mean to imply they were hiding anything, merely meant I hadn't confirmed it yet.

This is straight from the EGW site:

"EGW offers custom made, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. These dies also flair lower than some other sizing dies and size the case further down, which may prevent feed failures from cases bulged near the base as is typical of brass fired in Glock and other loose chambered guns."

I've got no problems with how the die works or what I paid for it.  However, the description above is very misleading as to who actually makes the die.

A whole lot of custom parts aren't made by the guy with his name on the package. It's just the way it is. They figure out what they want, and order 'em from a manufacturer and put their name on it. Doug Koenig isn't filing out hammers and sears in his garage.. Caspian probably doesn't cast Caspian frames. Nothing wrong there. If somebody else can do it to specs and more efficiently than you can, that's where you go.

Hi all,

last time I was invited here was about the mag gage, the outrage about the pricing till someone found out that the material was pretty pricy and anodizing cost money, and that we did it from the start for the good of the sport.

EGW offers is not EGW MANUFACTURES....

About 16 years ago John Lee and I worked on a couple things. I wanted to use the press and dies, ended up with just the dies but by now we have sold over 5000 U dies in super, 40,9, and 45

They are made to our spec. the flat has a U stamped on it, and a special die

(we order 50 at a time) that saves your bacon and is quite a bit cheaper than a roll sizer. Every Time Todd Jarret has a class we sell half a dozen in the area he was last. What they cost? last time I checked we were a for profit corp. You guys know what Bill Wilson Pays for a magazine? didn't think so. I bet he aint tellin :)

Thank you to the positives that chimed in. I appreciate you guys!!!

Very Much.

Ironically we make Doug's hammers, and Doug does come in sometimes and grind the flats or notches to get an order out to Brownells.

Caspian Does have there Frames cast by a Ruger company, the cast every day and from a guy that welds gun at least twice a week and has 500x pictures of many different materials Caspian has some of the best castings in the world.

George Smith (not some nameless call tag)

EGW inc

48 N Belmont ave

Quakertown Pa 18951

www.egw-guns.com, check out our new shopping cart the dies are listed there and

you can order 24 hrs a day.

again, to the faithful, I appreciate you guys.

and to the guy that directed me here, thank you!

geo

Ironically we make Doug's hammers, and Doug does come in sometimes and grind the flats or notches to get an order out to Brownells.

I love it :D.. Thanks George. Y'all rock.

Geo,

Don't be a stranger.

Thank you, We have been overfortunate. Blessed with Tons of work

both making parts and Gun work.

Right now it is shut down but last year we made about 35,000 parts for SIG arms and we are starting to make parts for Smith and Wesson.

Feel free to ask me if a question comes up, I usually play on the 1911 forum but have not had much time lately, there was a thread with 4,000 reads on our FP stop which was pretty KooL, over on the High Road.

I would Love to be asked and cut out the speculation :)

Thanks guys

geo

• 1 year later...