Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1301thread size

dmshozer1

Dave, they should be 6-48. That's the "standard" for gun screws. If not, 8-40. Are there plugs in the holes that can be measured?

Knocked the plugs out Dan but they are kind of out of round after doing that.

You are probably right about the size.

Off to the hardware store.

Going to try a Burris Fastfire on it just for the hell of it.

The original question was for the rail mount screws on the top of the receiver.

Yes, it was. However, Kurt pointed out the shotgun is Italian and likely has metric parts. I confirmed another part was indeed metric. We both suspect the rail mount screws will also be metric.

I stand by my original recommendation to email Beretta's customer service. They will answer the question. Testing screws runs the risk of stripping threads.

Anybody know the thread size of the holes in the top of the receiver.

Trying to mount a dot sight on it

Found some screws in my junk box that fit,

No idea what they are?

Thanks for the help.

Off to sight it in with slugs. Then see if I like it on bird shot targets.

Thanks Dogtired.

There are standards for some things despite the English / Metric systems. I have a Mini Mauser rifle, the barrel shank is metric, but, the scope mount holes are 6-48. An awful lot of Brownings are made in Japan, but the scope screws are still 6-48.

Every camera I have, none of which are made in the USA, my spotting scopes also, the tripod sockets are all 1/4-20.

Bottom line is, it's just a threaded hole, cutting tools are used worldwide, as are many standard hardware sizes. :D

Interesting. I have that tap. I will run it in and see if it cuts anything. 6-48 threads without issue but I have not attached anything either.

Go gently with that tap since you are dealing with aluminum threads in an aluminum receiver.

There are 2.54 centimeters per inch or 25.4 mm per inch. A thread pitch of 0.7 (distance peak to adjacent thread peak) is 25.4/0.7 or about 36 threads per inch.

The holes are shallow, so there might not be enough depth for the thread count to be as relevant as a deeper or longer threaded hole. This would be especially true if the OD of the 6-48 is slightly undersized or less snug that the specified screw.

The aluminum threads are thin and potentially forgiving, but also may be easily mis-threaded or stripped.

I emailed Beretta Customer Service yesterday and await their reply.

Edited by Paul49

I remembered I had a M4 screw left over from the project that required the tap. It does not fit the 1301 Comp, it may fit the tactical. The M4 screw did fit in the 8-40 thread. I still maintain 6-48 on my gun.

AE4165FF-4985-4CC1-AC29-26E24BB3E373_zps

F17CDE9E-79FE-460E-9697-AF6571BD7486_zps

If the 6-48 fits, then it's likely either M3 or M3.5 with a thread pitch close to 48 per inch. Hopefully Beretta will get back to me soon.

Here is a metric to English conversion reference for fasteners:

http://elginfasteners.com/resources/metric-bolt-conversion-metric-to-standard-bolt-conversion/

Edited by Paul49

Hmm...Beretta......Italian........Metric threading. Just some random thoughts. :)

Yes! It takes a 6mm hex wrench to adjust the seating depth of the sling swivel cup in the stock.

When you're looking for that information it's the best hid thing on the interwebz.

Thanks for the information.

For the moment I have two mystery screws in a Ruger pistol rail holding the Fastfire to the receiver. Working so far but if I keep it on I will get

the proper screws. So far I like it. Man does it group slugs at 75 yds. 4" most of the time with B&P's. Not sure yet If I like it on static targets.

Seems slower. Nice thing is if it fails I just go to the front sight.

Emailed Beretta about this, but got no answer. Called customer service today and was told M4-7.5, presumably meant m4-0.75, although that was not a size in the conversion table I found via Google. He also said the 1301 Comp and Tactical were the same.....

7 hours ago, Paul49 said:

Emailed Beretta about this, but got no answer. Called customer service today and was told M4-7.5, presumably meant m4-0.75, although that was not a size in the conversion table I found via Google. He also said the 1301 Comp and Tactical were the same.....

interesting. I gaged my screws for .75, doesnt match. .70 does to a tee.