Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need an adjustable gas block

optimator

educate me... i can see needing to adjust for weather or altitude if you are a well traveled three gunner. But why the need to adjust all the time? I set mine to my competition load, locked it in and forgot about it. I recently changed my barrel out and had to do the process again but didn't have anything locked up. Sprayed Kroil on it and worked fine. 

38 minutes ago, Tmcfarland said:

educate me... i can see needing to adjust for weather or altitude if you are a well traveled three gunner. But why the need to adjust all the time? I set mine to my competition load, locked it in and forgot about it. I recently changed my barrel out and had to do the process again but didn't have anything locked up. Sprayed Kroil on it and worked fine. 

I put together a couple rifles every year for competition. I do travel to matches (only 5-6 this year 'cause I am old and poor) I have gotten in the habit of "exercising" the adjustment just to try and keep it moving.  I am a tinkerer and I always seem to "have" buy the latest coolest thing so often I have to go through the adjustment process a few times during the season. I know a lot of 3 gunners and many have the issue with freezing gas blocks. Is it a big deal? most of the time no. I do have a couple of suppressed rifles that I shoot sometimes without the can and they are way over gassed with the can -vs- without so being able to adjust them is a big deal.  I keep thinking I need the Micro MOA gas blocks...  One more thing, I shoot quite a bit and sometimes I can't get H335 or 8208 or TAC or... changing your loads can cause a need to adjust.  Almost none of my rifles will lock the bolt back with my hoser loads but I try and never shoot to bolt hold back. BTW, I am middle of the pack at best shooter so take all this as the words of a seasoned competitor not a pro. 

Have an SLR 6. Any time I need to adjust it, I first squirt Remington Bore Cleaner down the gas tube and wait until I see it seeping from the gas block. Then I squirt some brake cleaner down the tube and blow it all out with compressed air. Works for me.

On August 28, 2016 at 3:45 PM, optimator said:

I ended up with 2 RCA adjustable keys. One will be on my D Wilson LW BCG, the other will go on my AIM LW BCG. 

I have RCA on top of D wilson bolt carrier also.    Good combo and good value also.   

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, colt1911 said:

for those of you with problems with the SLR is it the new version or the older version, from what i hear the new version doesn't lock up... Can anybody state whether or not this is true? i am curious?

I know my old one locked up BIG TIME, SLR replaced it with the new design. See how this one works.

Just now, The Donald said:

I know my old one locked up BIG TIME, SLR replaced it with the new design. See how this one works.

Gotcha, I'd like to know how the knew version performs and if anyone has any issues with it AT ALL... I have a friend who has one on a SBR'ed Duty Rifle and if its not GTG I need to push him to switch to something more trustworthy.

3 minutes ago, colt1911 said:

Gotcha, I'd like to know how the knew version performs and if anyone has any issues with it AT ALL... I have a friend who has one on a SBR'ed Duty Rifle and if its not GTG I need to push him to switch to something more trustworthy.

The new SLR gas block is totally redesigned, both in the detents, and the adjusting screw.

2 hours ago, The Donald said:

The new SLR gas block is totally redesigned, both in the detents, and the adjusting screw.

I have the newer design with the melonited screw, they still lock up on me.  I have tried to get in the habit of closing them all the way and then opening them back every time I shoot but I am fat and lazy and often I am shooting multi day matches and my gear is being shipped or carried by other people...  what do you mean by bootleg config? 

On 11/4/2016 at 0:36 PM, Hoosiershooter said:

I've had good luck with the Odin adjustable. And worst case they have rebuild kits that are affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have an Odin on my rifle, ran fine for 40 rounds then turned into a one shot wonder. Runs perfect with just a regular gas block. I'm going to pull it apart today, I think the tube may be plugging up.

My newish SLR, about 1 year old will still lock up if allowed to sit in one place too long. It is not that big of deal as once set it shouldn't need much adjustment. The redesign screw is much better and does not crack when over torqued.  Putting some cleaner on it as suggested above helps loosen it up.  My only issues have been related to not aligning it correctly, or turning the gas too low.  It still leaks more than I would like,but it doesn't affect function.

Edited by ziebart