Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first 3 Gun Rifle Build

Thaunk

So I think I've decided to build a new rifle. I won a F1 Arms billet receiver set a week ago so that has to stay, but everything else on the list is optional. I'd like to build the most competitive 3 gun rifle I can for practical division. This'll be my first custom build rifle so I expect issues. Here's my first stab at parts:

1. F1 Arms Lower and Upper (Billet)

2. 16 inch lightweight contour Wilson combat barrel 1/7 twist 5.56

3. JP Low profile gas block

4. JP Tuned and Polished buffer spring

5. DPMS Buffer Carbine length

6. Noveske STS 60 Degree Ambi safety

7. ERGO Super Grip Pistol Grip

8. AR-Stoner Forward Assist

9. Magpul AFG Angled Forend

10. VLTOR Carbine Receiver Extension Buffer Tube 5 Position Mil-Spec

11. Wilson combat Gas Tube Rifle Length

12. AXTS Ambi charging handle

13. Seekins Precision Billet Mag Release

14. Seekins Precision Enhanced Bolt Catch

15. Giessele SG3 Super 3 Gun Trigger

16. Voodoo Innovations light weight BCG

17. Obsidian Arms S Pattern 13 inch hand guard

So what's smart about the build and what's stupid? Am I missing any major parts? I've got a ejection port cover and a lower parts kits added but figured they weren't important to mention, though I've mentioned damn near everything else.

You have a good list. It's mostly preference and what fits you. The 1/7 barrel is designed for longer bullets but many (most?) do ok with 55 grain. I have one tho that shoots 1 MOA with 62 grain and 4-5 MOA with 55's. The 1/8 is a compromise twist rate to shoot both.

Some parts you can go cheap on ($42 for a vltor buffer tube vs $20 for a PSA) and all the little parts and pins.

Don't be intimidated putting it together. It's pretty easy :)

Maybe add a compensator ?

Does the F1 upper take a forward assist? The skeleton one I'm thinking of doesn't.

@DesertTortise: I'm shooting 77 grain black hills 5.56mm. Does that work ok? Oh and I forgot the compensator. I've got a Saker Trifecta that I think works wonders on my current build but this is supposed to be an experimental gun on some level so I'll happily take suggestions. This isn't the skeletonized one and it does appear to have a forward assist.

@triggerman300: Yeah that appears to be the barrel I've selected. I'll change the gas tube.

Edited by Thaunk

id consider a light weight buffer system, I'm partial to tac com. i'd loose the DPMS buffer

i've been doing a lot of research on the tac com systems /buffer and will post a write up tomorrow. in a nut shell you not getting maximum tuning for forward energy on bolt /buffer movement.

+1 on good brake i'd say that solves the lion share of muzzle rise.... i went with a JEC/holland like brake, lots of options here.... my shooting neighbors hate me but i love watching hole get made on paper....... that trifecta looks good i like some holes on top of brake i feel like it provides some downward force,,,,, i try shooting different ones till you find the ONE

77's for 3 gun $$$$$$$$? im going to throw a flag on that play..... i'd think about a 1/8. im not saying 1/7 wont work, 1/7 is for reach out and touch someone.... but your going need to do some serious hand loading and testing for lighter weight pills ( im currently testing 55.62.7 for a 1/7 on my first build)

i don't compete yet but do you really need a collapsible stock. how often does 3 gun include CQB course of fire....??

why 13" vs 15" hand guard??

optic/s????

there a lot of high dollar parts there???? im guessing 1.3K + without optics . but I'm bit frugal, I'm under on $900 budget my v 2.0 (3 gun ish). I put my dollars and research first on barrel then brake, gas block buffer system, (light weight bcg later)....... went with as much cheap parts as possible... at first

its relatively easy to build so changing parts in future is pretty EZ....

'

if you planning on hitting up some black rifle matches i'd consider a sling and sling adapter/attachment

how do you compare using c grip vs AFG?

Edited by biglou13

@Tony: I got introduced to the fellow who runs the Clinton House match and he's a pro level guy so he talked me into it. So far it's worked out well from a performance stand point, I just have to forget it's a buck every time I pull the trigger.

@biglou: I've got an adjustable should stock as part of the build. Our local matches have included some CQB fire and Clinton House likes shots out to 300 yards. I've got a sling for the Noveske already and I'm working with it. I need to learn more about proper positioning with it so I can use it properly. Though I don't see a lot of folks using slings. As to the light weight BCG I'm using a voodoo light weight BCG. My current Noveske is a 1/7 but I'll try the 1/8. I found a blog on cheaper than dirt comparing twist rate and bullet weight and they seem to think either or should work. I'll happily try the 1/8 as they're the same price. Optics, I have a HD Razor II currently and I'll probably duplicate that setup. I'll be about 1.5k with the BCG and the hand guard. I have no preference between hand guard length. I figured slightly shorter may be better as it'll have less weight and I still shoot like a gamer kid. The "clamp grip" I see in 3 gun I haven't mastered yet. It just feels odd to me.

Added: My shotgun shell holders are from Tac Com, he rocks. If I can throw a few bucks his way I'd be happy to. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Edited by Thaunk

@DesertTortise: I'm shooting 77 grain black hills 5.56mm. Does that work ok? Oh and I forgot the compensator. I've got a Saker Trifecta that I think works wonders on my current build but this is supposed to be an experimental gun on some level so I'll happily take suggestions. This isn't the skeletonized one and it does appear to have a forward assist.

@triggerman300: Yeah that appears to be the barrel I've selected. I'll change the gas tube.

If you are shooting 77's then 1/7 is the right barrel. You'll have no problems using cheaper 55's up close and a magazine of 77s for longer shots.

I personally like the collapsible stock because it can be set up to fit different shooting positions. I only fully extend the stock for traditional offhand shooting. A lot of 3 gun shooting is fast, close targets and shooters do use a "cqb" / isosceles stance which fits me better with a collapsing stock two clicks off the receiver. Many 3 gun set ups have fixed stocks though. So if you find you always shoot fully extended, a fixed stock could be best for you.

I'll try adjusting the stock closer for close targets. At Sandhills a couple weeks ago they had some crazy barricade we had to shoot thrriugh and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to point my rifle through it. Maybe this would help. I'll google isosceles stance in the morning and learn something.

I'll try adjusting the stock closer for close targets. At Sandhills a couple weeks ago they had some crazy barricade we had to shoot thrriugh and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to point my rifle through it. Maybe this would help. I'll google isosceles stance in the morning and learn something.

One of these? They are designed to force you into uncomfortable positions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KbyqAoiX4CA

I hit the plates. Took me 25 shots but I got it. I think I was the only person to hit them in my squad. Those plates were not well marked and I learned later they may have been at an angel making them even harder to see or hit.

Anybody tried the JP heatsink?

You will need either a JP barrel or one profiled to what JP uses if you want to use their heat sink.

I have mostly JP uppers and have the heat sinks....just cause I think they are cool.

Got it. So no heat sink for me.

P.S. Parts ordered! Slight change of plans. Talking with Tim from Tac Com I decided to use an Iron Rifle light weight BCG instead of the Voodoo and I ordered his light weight buffer and buffer spring.

Way more expensive ammo than generally required in my book. My first build back in 2012 included a Stag 3GH upper (18" barrel, 1/8 twist, AR-Stoner comp). What I found was that combo and Wal-Mart Federal 55g .223 red box would get first round hits out to 400y 99% of the time with a 1-4x scope. So I only use the expensive ammo when I need to shoot really long. As that gun evolved the only Stag part left in the AR is the barrel. Because that barrel/ammo combo can still do it. What I am saying is you want to try to find an ammo the gun likes. Same as if you develop reloads. Bought lots of other ammo but never got around to testing it. First test at the range after breaking the barrel in and sighting it in I found that laying the AR on a barrier standing I could put 8 of 10 rounds semi rapid fire (1-1.5s/shot) in the 10x ring at 300 yards (other 2 in the 9 ring). I figured that was accurate enough to start with, but never changed it. Built a lighter rifle later but never changed that first barrel setup except to go to a more powerful scope and add some lighter parts.