Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Options for 3 Gun

My wife and I currently shoot M&P9s and are looking at moving to a 2011 platform. While we would love some of the more expensive/custom options, we would be buying 2 and so price is certainly a consideration. Also, before I buy a couple of custom 2011s, I would like some experience with the platform to know what options I would want. Right now, I'm looking at either an STI Edge or Eagle.

Also, I'm thinking about going with 9mm instead of 40. While we shoot USPSA (currently Production), we both want to focus more on 3 Gun. We shoot our local USPSA matches and shoot the state match, but moving forward, any travel we do will be fore 3 Gun. In some of the threads I've read about this, people say "just go with 40 since you have it" since they are coming from USPSA Limited. Is there any disadvantage to going with the 9mm? Yes, I realize we will be shooting Limited Minor in USPSA, but like I said, almost all of our shooting will be at our local club. These would really be "3 Gun dedicated" and USPSA matches would be "3 Gun practice."

In some of the threads, people talk about the Edge being too heavy (more than needed for 9mm). It seems like the extra weight would help in 3G... after running around a bit, it might serve as a stabilizer to make the longer shots. Any input would be appreciated!

having an edge in .40 for uspsa limited, i got a 9mm eagle for 3 gun, idpa and various steel shoots. super happy with it.

if you reload or have access to minor power factor .40 ammo, then go ahead and get one of the above in .40 and shoot minor in 3 gun, steel, etc. the extra round or two of mag capacity doesn't make a difference.

when i shoot my edge with .40 minor ammo it does seem softer recoiling than my eagle with regular 147g 9mm. not sure how much is due to the gun weight vs the load differences.

oh, and ask your fellow 3 gunners if you can handle their toys so you can get a feel for them. surely at least some will let you shoot a stage with them.

If you want to test the waters, look at the Rock Island 9's. Can get two for the same price of one STI. MBX/STI mags work with the RIA or can go w/ factory mags & extensions for ~$80 for a 23rd magazine.

Edit to add - Patrick Kelly has spoken very highly of the SPS Pantera 2011's, he also posted few really good videos on Youtube.

Edited by SCTaylor

There's a whole family of well regarded shooters who run in 3-gun with M&Ps (until their daughter defected to Sig). 2011s have much thicker grips versus 9mm plastic guns. Why not get some more mags with extensions and use your current M&Ps in 3-gun?

First...why do you feel the need to move away from what you are currently using?

Don't fool yourself into thinking it is "holding you back" unless you are shooting

80+% at a Major match the 1/3 of the match that maybe handgun is not the issue.

If you want a 2011 and can afford it...buy and enjoy.

If you want to place better at 3-gun events... improve your current >skillset< with ammo and dryfire.

Or buy that cool new 2011 toy and smile, guns are fun and new guns even more fun!

First...why do you feel the need to move away from what you are currently using?

Don't fool yourself into thinking it is "holding you back" unless you are shooting

80+% at a Major match the 1/3 of the match that maybe handgun is not the issue.

If you want a 2011 and can afford it...buy and enjoy.

If you want to place better at 3-gun events... improve your current >skillset< with ammo and dryfire.

Or buy that cool new 2011 toy and smile, guns are fun and new guns even more fun!

Admittedly, there is a bit of a "that's what all the cool kids are shooting/new guns are cool" aspect to it. We certainly don't view it as "it is holding us back" as we have not placed that well at a major match--we realize there a ton of other things that we need to work on. I think part of this has come from shooting a friend's 2011 a bit and seeing how well we like the platform. It really made the farther 30+ yards easier to hit after running around with the long guns.

When we shot the 3GN Eastern Regionals, we only saw 2 other people who were shooting "plastic guns." Since it seemed like basically everyone is shooting a 2011, how much of an advantage does it give you and how much is it "well, everyone else is using this, so I should too"?

Nick Atkinson runs a Glock and has several championships to his credit.

James Casanova runs a Glock and he too has won many championships.

I have won a couple of matches as well...and yup...Glock.

Just pick what you want...if it has you practicing more because you like it...you have made a good choice

In my opinion a striker fired gun has more of an advantage in 3 Gun than a 2011. Not having to worry about a thumb safety getting brushed off when dumping is a huge advantage. Like Patrick said unless you are already at 80% at majors and the pistol is holding you back, you probably don't NEED one. This is coming from a guy who built custom 2011's :-).

STI Eagle in 9mm would be a great choice for what you are describing. Lots of people shoot our local USPSA match that are not USPSA members strictly to practice for 3 gun. They do really well but their main focus is 3 gun. More power to them for getting extra practice.