Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 round mags for SVI?

elenius

Hi folks. Does anyone know if there is a way to "permanently modify" the SVI .40 mags/mag components to make 10 round mags, or if anyone sells 10rd mags that work with such a gun? Due to the new CA gun laws, one cannot possess >10rd mags here...

I'm not sure of the laws in CA, but if modified mags are allowed, I think SVI will modify mags for you, at a cost of course. Im guessing probably around $150/mag. There may be a chance that they only do this for customers who have ordered pistols directly from them. I don't know.

MBX is supposed to be announcing something soon. We have until next July so rather than trashing your SVI mags, you may want to see what comes available. May work out better, cost wise, if you sell your legacy mags...

Edited by ChuckS

I'm pretty sure MBX is currently based in California, so it would make sense that they would make a good 10 round mag for the SVI/STI platform due to current events there. Personally, i have had good luck and good experiences in dealing with MBX and their products and would buy again from them. I think that post number 6 by ChuckS has the right answer.

I'm pretty sure MBX is currently based in California, so it would make sense that they would make a good 10 round mag for the SVI/STI platform due to current events there. Personally, i have had good luck and good experiences in dealing with MBX and their products and would buy again from them. I think that post number 6 by ChuckS has the right answer.

It the law holds, the 10 round market in CA will be pretty big. Last Saturday, we had 68 folks shooting limited and open at Norco. 5 mags per shooter would mean one club would need 340 new mags. That is just one club. And that is just USPSA. I haven't see the state total USPSA membership for a few years but it was well over 3K if I remember correctly. That that is just a drop in the bucket to total gun owners here. I expect to see multiple sources jumping on this one.

It the law holds, the 10 round market in CA will be pretty big. Last Saturday, we had 68 folks shooting limited and open at Norco. 5 mags per shooter would mean one club would need 340 new mags. That is just one club. And that is just USPSA. I haven't see the state total USPSA membership for a few years but it was well over 3K if I remember correctly. That that is just a drop in the bucket to total gun owners here. I expect to see multiple sources jumping on this one.

I think that the magwell/basepad issue will be addressed also. I wouldn't start riveting, cutting and grinding just yet... ;)

One thing to consider also is that there will be no area, regional or national matches ever in CA due to magazine limits in Limited or Open. So, you will need standard mags if you decide to compete out of State.

I'd disassemble the current mags when the law becomes effective and put it together when out of State and use 10 rounders at home.

Edited by tanks

Does anyone have experience using 124mm mags with these full size guns with magwells? Are they as fast/easy to seat as the 140mm ones?

We are restricted to crimped 10 round mags in Australia. For open we put bases similar to this on them which make them approx 140mm length. They work fine in my dawson ice magwell.

http://www.db-shootingsupplies.com.au/products/victor-precision-brass-magazine-base-open-division.html

yes, as dan says you'll need some extended bases on your 124/6mm mags to make them work with larger magwells.

I have seen 140mm SVI tubes modified to permanently limit them to 10 rounds. they weld a small plate on one side of the magazine (inside). the plate is about 2mm thick, 10mm wide and about 40mm long. it's spot welded through 2 holes in the mag body (one at the top of the plate one at the bottom). it will prevent loading more than 10 rounds. It seems like perhaps SV no longer offer this though.

The easiest option is to use the STI double stack mags which are crimped to make them work like a single stack mag. They hold only 10 rounds. you'll still need some kind of non-capacity increasing extension to use in an open gun with big magwell.

They do suck a bit but sadly they are the most readily available permanently 10 round mag.

sti_70023801261100-500x500.jpg

Oh, Brandon at SVI also said this:

We weld a plate internally to limit the capacity of the tube.

Our spring and follower is required as the plate is welded on the right side (our follower goes down left side) and they will not function with a follower that goes down the right side of the magazine.

The rounds stop on the internal plate. The follower does not contact the internal plate.