Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NY state , why so much hate ?

valerko

Why so many shooters look down on IDPA ? So , there few rules . I think those rules kind of even up the paying field.

Anyway. NY state match is over . 1st in experts , 2nd in ESP , 3rd overall. Just sayin...:):):)

First you ask about IDPA hatred, then you mention New York State in the same post?!?!

Talk about a huge can of worms, or maybe two separate and unrelated cans, but large ones nevertheless.

Lol. Walked into that one

IDPA is a great way to practice defensive use of a pistol ...

BUT, have you ever tried USPSA?

Ten years ago, I came "out of shooting hibernation" and started

shooting both IDPA and USPSA ...

I believe I shot a total of 4 IDPA matches, including a Classifier,

before I decided to drop IDPA and concentrate on USPSA ...

Much more fun.

But, to each his own.

Why down on NY? Easy ... The late night comedians would have

a field day with that hashtag :)

I lived in NY for 33 years, and just left 2 years ago for Florida - WOW,

you are allowed to shoot whatever you want down here - very

refreshing concept.

I've lost track of how many guys down here show me an AR-15 with

short barrels and cans, in the trunk of their car - Just In Case.

.22 pistols with cans ...

This, my friend, is shooting paradise :)

So, when you're ready, we have a time share waiting for you ...

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot everything. IDPA , USPSA , Steel challenge , 3 gun. Anything that action shooting. Even considering cowboy action. Lol

Anyway , IDPA isn't defensive practice. It's just another sport. Might offer some good habits , but that's it.

Like most USPSA shooters, I don't hate IDPA. I just strongly prefer the USPSA game. But if there was no USPSA, I would certainly shoot IDPA. And I do shoot an IDPA match about once or twice a year, so I have more than a passing familiarity with the sport.

Having said that, it does bother me that IDPA is, practically speaking, controlled by one man and is thus subject to his biases. This has created the perception of some logical inconsistencies in the sport which has provided a lot of fuel for discussion on the internet. I think that discussion often gets interpreted as hate. But I think a lot of it is driven by people who actually like IDPA (many USPSA shooters start here) and are concerned for the sport.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't hate IDPA (but I'm not from NY either), but I will say that some of the rules are just plain stupid, and it sounds like it might be getting worse (and/or better) in the future.

I'll be shooting an IDPA match next week... Harder to find USPSA matches in the area.

I don't hate IDPA (but I'm not from NY either), but I will say that some of the rules are just plain stupid, and it sounds like it might be getting worse (and/or better) in the future.

I'll be shooting an IDPA match next week... Harder to find USPSA matches in the area.

Not sure where you live in Wisconsin, but there is at least 1 USPSA match (often 2) every weekend from March to October. Now I will grant an exception to this statement if there is a blizzard to prevent the crews from setting up or people getting to it safely.

Go to wisconsinshooters.com and look at the calendar.

You will be surprised with what you find.

Molson