Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which red dot and what size?

I'm a new member and would like some advice. I just bought a Glock 34 MOS and want to buy a red dot. I have old eyes and need all the help I can get. All of my shooting is done at a local club, and I shoot steel plates. I am leaning towards a Vortex Razor with a 6 MOA. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6" or 8" or larger. The small dots are slower (in my opinion) to pick up for follow up shots - or from the holster.

See if you can look thru some at a match and - remember - it's for you, not someone else.

Window size can make a big difference. I'd look at as many as you can and ideally try them as well. I don't care for anything smaller than 6 moa for general pistol use but some people have good luck with the smaller dot sizes. But it all boils down to preference.

Dot size loses its importance if you can manually adjust brightness. If you can't, I would get a 6 or an 8. If you have one of the adjustable brightness sights, 2 works. Just crank it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I think if you're shooting USPSA or or other sports where there isn't any or very little long distance shooting you could use a dot size 10 moa or bigger. This would speed up target acquisition. I know some guys who shoot so fast that they don't pay much attention to the dot, they just put the target in the optic window and squeeze the trigger.

I am very happy with the 6.5 MOA RMR. It's been slide mounted for about 4,000 9mm rounds in USPSA/SCSA without problem. Some other sights didn't make it very far... the G-forces were more than they could handle.

I started with a Leupold Deltapoint with a 7.5 triangle. It worked great and still does. This pistol has become my wife's comp gun. I now use a C-more frame mount with a 6MOA dot. I like it much better, especially with smaller, more distant targets. Either will work great with practice. 100K + on the Deltapoint, 30K plus on the CMore, and they both work great.

post-56380-0-20613600-1469283600_thumb.j

post-56380-0-56507100-1469283664_thumb.j