Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt and gear on a budget

Get a good police duty belt like uncle mikes and blade tech pouches. They are awesome and very reasonably priced. Worked great for me for years. If you want a real race belt check out shooters connection. Theirs is nice and I believe cheaper than the rest. The only advantage to the race belt is it opens up real estate. With the duty belt you have the buckle but I never really had a problem.

I've used the CR speeds belts, which are great...BUT....I've come to settle on the Safariland ELS belt with a modified MLS pistol holster mount...great and versatile for 3g and USPSA...one belt to rule them all...buy once cry once...lightweight too!

Midway competition belt great deal for the price I have several for different guns so I dnot have 5o redo them.

If you can ever catch these Midway belts on sale at $19.95, they are a bargain , but sell out quickly. Typically they do not do back orders at that price either.

I am pretty cheap and have ended up here:

black hawk sportster standard holster $15-20

Uncle mike's tactical competition belt $25. Very stiff 2 piece belt. A little thick and can cause problems with tek locks, have not had problems with mag or shotgun holders but holster popped loose. I just bolted my holster directly to the belt. Used a soldering iron to burn holes in the outer belt.

Blade tech dual mag holder with tek lok. $25

Taccom (8S2) shell holder $35 + tek lok $9

AR mag, back pocket when needed $free.

$114 total. I actually have a blade tech drop and offset that came with a tek lok for $20 but took off the tek lok as described above and have the older taccom load 2 shell holder. It is similar to the new one but not the same.

Holster has worked great, mag holders are good, shell holder works great, belt is okay. Belt is really stiff, and the inner is the same thickness as the outer. May be worth the extra $15-25 to get a more popular brand belt. The uncle mikes belt is solid though and for the price is hard to beat. The first belt I bought was a $15 duty belt and it was not very stiff.

Uncle mike's tactical competition belt $25. Very stiff 2 piece belt. A little thick and can cause problems with tek locks, have not had problems with mag or shotgun holders but holster popped loose. I just bolted my holster directly to the belt. Used a soldering iron to burn holes in the outer belt.

$114 total. I actually have a blade tech drop and offset that came with a tek lok for $20 but took off the tek lok as described above and have the older taccom load 2 shell holder. It is similar to the new one but not the same.

Holster has worked great, mag holders are good, shell holder works great, belt is okay. Belt is really stiff, and the inner is the same thickness as the outer. May be worth the extra $15-25 to get a more popular brand belt. The uncle mikes belt is solid though and for the price is hard to beat. The first belt I bought was a $15 duty belt and it was not very stiff.

I just bought an uncle Mike's belt. How bad is the teklok problem and should I consider a different mounting scheme. Also how long have you been using yours. Edited by turtleguy

Have used it for at about 6 months and 6 or 7 matches and a couple of range trips. Only had problems with the holster and they were never bad until started using the drop hanger. Even then not enough to worry about until the last match when the RO pointed out it was completely undone. Pistol didn't fall and probably wouldn't, was just hinging at the top and reclamped it and it worked for the rest of the match. Had noticed that one side or the other of the tek lok had popped loose before when removing the belt so decided to go ahead and chicago screw it directly to the belt. If do an event without pistol and need just shotgun I can wear just the inner. Shotgun shell holder and mag holder have never been a problem. Main reason I mentioned it was I experienced it and had seen others mention it in reviews. It is a good belt and cannot imagine any stiffer ones out there. If you already have tek loks I would just go ahead and give it a try with those.

I just bought an uncle Mike's belt. How bad is the teklok problem and should I consider a different mounting scheme. Also how long have you been using yours.

I've been running an Uncle Mike's competition belt for the last 5 months with 4-6 matches each month. No issues yet. The teck-locks are snug on there, but once you lock them on, they stay put.

Only thing I did come across was I got some Chinese knockoff mag pouches so I had to dremel some plastic on the back of them to get them to fit the belt.

I was going to give a list of quality less expensive options but once I saw Uncle Mikes mentioned I saw that the op really meant it when he said cheap options. I think that's about as cheap as you can go and still be somewhat functional.

If you don't have a problem buying used (I do all the time) just stalk this sight and other forums and pick up some quality stuff 2nd hand. I wouldn't recommend getting cheap stuff just to save money because you will end up spending more replacing it. trust me I have learned my lesson, unfortunately it took me a few times to learn this lesson.

• 2 weeks later...