Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting new parts

hopalong

Hopalong,i just finished my second one in April, my first one was done in February, it makes a world of difference! Recovery my second one is taking longer than the first just because he had to move more stuff around to grind the back side of my hip. Are you doing anterior it posterior cut?

Posterior cut. DR has said this one will take longer recovery due to less usable bone on the pelvis ( this hip the " bad " one) looking forward to it, just not the first week after . . . . . .

Hop

My two little hip scars have shrunken to about 4" each, down from about 5.5 to start--and they shrunk quickly. Doc was using experimentally small incisions due to my small stature and zero fat tissue and minimal muscle there. He used the side-of-the-hip approach. I weighed in a few days ago at 98 lbs fully clothed, with shoes. I was 95 lbs when I had the first hip done (2002) and about 98 with the second (2011). I was an easy surgery due to my size.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we went home in a day and a half. I am on crutches or walker for 6 weeks with no pressure on the leg except for balance. Then 6 weeks min of physical therapy.

I like the way it is coming. Pain is tolerable 99% of the time. Got outside and walked around the Mother in laws culdesac and it felt good.

Going to see the Dr tomorrow for 1 week check up. We see from there.

Thanks all for the prayers and support

HOPALONG (for Now) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Edited by hopalong

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Siggy, he did a bit more than the standard hip replacement.

Moved the point of rotation to the normally proper spot on the pelvis. Then added an inch to the femur to get an even/level pelvis to stop the extra flip flop in the pelvis when I walked to stop the extra wear and tear on the spinal column.

Well, today we went back to the Dr today for the 6 weeks checkup. 

He was happy with the way the bone has grown. I start Physical Therapy tomorrow. He has turned me loose to drive. Have to transition from crutches to cane to nothing in the next 4 weeks.

Also get to start swimming along with the 3 miles a day I am doing now so I can really work on getting my muscle strength up.

Going back to work first Monday in October 

HOP

Naw, the going back to work will give him an opportunity to brag about the process and mark milestones in recovery in front of his associates.  That will be fun, I bet. Or, as what happened to me, he can compare notes with others who've had similar procedures or who know people who have done so.  Some of my buddies at the Jail were pretty surprised to see me working so soon after both hip surgery and the shoulder surgery. One of the other ladies who works there had a massive implant in a leg, and so we compared our digital X-Ray printouts, etc.,  And my little job at the Jail is kind of physical, too. It actually felt good to use the joints even if it seemed a little early in the game to do so. It was a form of physical therapy--and being clever on how to handle certain physical challenges without straining myself. I managed. Where there's a will, there's usually a way.

Yes, one of the things our bones do in these situations is latch on immediately to the implant and begin matrixing into it. That's what the doctor likes to see right away. That your system accepts the implant and grows fresh bone tissue around/through it quickly.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well,

I am walking 2.5 miles a day the days I don't have PT.  Swimming 30+ minutes usually less than a hour though.

The days I do PT I only walk 1.25 , and swim only 30 mins then have PT 3 times a week.

Muscles bitch n moan, but are getting stronger and more defined. Pain in the joint PT days minimal only because working on range of motion.

All in all it is coming along well and the PT and DR happy with the progress.

Me too pretty much.

Hop

• 3 weeks later...