Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right hand, left eye dominance solution.

Muldune21

Hello,

Some background, grew up shooting shotgun and rifle right hand with right eye. 3 years ago I started shooting handgun turning my least favorite weapon into my most favorite. Naturally I shot right handed but I turn my head to use my left eye. I have heard with practice you can switch eye dominance but I don't want to, my left eye is the stronger eye and don't want to switch hands either. I have tried clear tape but why blur vision thru the whole stage, for example when in transition. I see two sight pictures when I keep my head straight. Any advice or drills on seeing 1 sight picture with left eye, right hand?

Thanks

Brett

I use a black vision blocker for indoor bullseye shooting but after a good week or so of both eyes open dryfire the double sights or double targets all but vanished. Might go away for you also. It's more critical for me to make sure my index is consistent then everything else follows right along.

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. After seeing how weaver-ish my stance looked on video when drawing to my left eye, I started using my right eye. First with both eyes open, which screwed me up under stress. Then with a blinder over my dominant eye - that worked good until I really started pushing my reload times in production, then the depth perception became a problem. Now I just close my left eye while shooting and open it while moving and reloading. It's been a year since I started this, and I think the dominance favors my right eye now.

I'm right handed, left eye dominant.. Now I just close my left eye while shooting and open it while moving and reloading.

I am also right handed/left eyed. I tried the tape and the blinder etc and didn't like it. I do the opposite as you, close the right eye while shooting, and both eyes open at all other times.

Seems to work best for me.

And yes, definitely move the gun over to your dominant eye rather than tilting/moving your head.

Gosh I wish this could be put for friggen bed!

IT is a handgun... line the sights up with whatever eye you want to use and shoot!

I am a Master Bullseye shooter, USPSA shooter, Bowling pin shooter and Handgun Silhouette shooter.

I am also Left Handed and Right eyed! No need for any special tapes or blocking devices. No need to "Fix" anything.

Cross dominance is of no difficulty to the hand gunner! NONE.

With an open stance I can draw to my left eye and still get 2 sight pictures, but if I turn my head slightly then I get 1 picture. Not a big issue but I feel if I was completely open with head straight on my might gain a little more speed in target transition. Thanks for all of your input.

Brett

Hold the gun in front of your left eye. Scotch tape on right lens if need be. Case closed.

Look at GMs at your next major match. Copy them.

Edited by Dr Mitch

The problem with moving your head is that its not consistent. In some positions you'll need to move more than others. As we all know from missed high-fives, if the first guy holds his hand up and the second guy just hits his hand, all is well and we don't look stupid. If both of us move our hands toward each other we can look like fools. Maybe not every time, but for sure in front of women.

Your draw will always be more consistent if the gun is being drawn to the same point every time.

I'm also left eye/right handed and also developed a head tilt. I saw quite a bit of draw improvement when I dry-fired myself straight. My advice is to do the same.

Sounds easy enough, try growing up shooting right eye then switching to left eye, the move the gun over 3 inches doesn't work for me. Right hand right eye shooter doesn't understand me, I do appreciate the thought of helping me out.

Thanks for posting I appreciate all posts and advice.

Some shooting positions I agree I struggle with bending or turning the head, hard lean with target on the right or the stage is set up tight. All is fun, it never fails to have someone ask me if I am shooting with my left eye.