Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 grn Bayous with TITEGROUP

soundlzrd

I'm running the above with an OAL of 1.15 and 3 grn TG. Manual says make is 2.9.

I have over 1000 rounds of this load in m&p's and glocks without issue. However none of those were new when I started using this load.

This year I have tired it in a few new guns, a SIG 320, 226 Legion and a Beretta px4 storm. The legion had no issue. The 320 would not run until I put 75 rounds of factory rounds though it. The px4 Storm ran fine for 15 rounds then started to have failure to feeds.

Is this load not strong enough to break in a new gun or is this normal?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by soundlzrd

What did you say??????????????

That was confusing, I'm sorry. Reworked it. Not great at writing things on my phone.

I feel your pain with the phone. Autocorrect leaves a lot to be desired.

There are lots of things that could cause function problems. Overall length can be a problem for sure.

Before blaming the ammo I would do a deep clean on the pistol to get all the manufacturing lubes off and remove any chips etc.

Also do the plunk test with each barrel to see if there is chambering trouble.

Once you know the pistol is clean and the ammo fits, then you can tinker.

I like to do break in the 115 grain ball ammo. Most guns will run it fine and it's cheap to load.

Hope this helps

What did you say??????????????

That was confusing, I'm sorry. Reworked it. Not great at writing things on my phone.

I feel your pain with the phone. Autocorrect leaves a lot to be desired.

There are lots of things that could cause function problems. Overall length can be a problem for sure.

Before blaming the ammo I would do a deep clean on the pistol to get all the manufacturing lubes off and remove any chips etc.

Also do the plunk test with each barrel to see if there is chambering trouble.

Once you know the pistol is clean and the ammo fits, then you can tinker.

I like to do break in the 115 grain ball ammo. Most guns will run it fine and it's cheap to load.

Hope this helps

Plunk test is good. Did some inspection but need to reoil. I'll have a chance to fire this week hopefully and reply back. Have 9mm NATO just in case

I use 3.2 gr with coated 147s, it is pretty anemic. Another shooter with worse form had almost constant malfunctions using it in my G17, worst I've had is a rare failure to lock on empty.

That leads me to believe that it is right on the edge of not generating enough slide momentum, as such not difficult to imagine having some issues in a new gun that's a little stiff. 3.0 would be even more marginal.

Edited by Beef15

Wow, thanks guys. The only published loads for titegroup and 147 LRN is 2.6-2.9. I thought I was pushing it at 3. Going to try a few 3.1 and 3.2 and see what changes

Finally got to the range with cronograph. Average 832 fps. With 147 grn does that mean my pf is 122 for IDPA. Need to look in the manual to see what fps I should get.

Edited by soundlzrd

• 1 month later...

Donnie will tell you that you can load his bullets hotter than what is listed for uncoated lead.

With 147 coated sns rnfp , a 5.4 " barrel Cz , 1.15 oal, and 3.2 titegroup I get 130 pf. With my 4" barrel gun I do not make 125 .

I load my Bayou 147's @ 1.150 (because our 1911's like that length) and they also run and function fine in our XDm's and the Sig 320. However, your guns may be different.

I only vary the amount and brand of powder depending on what power factor I'm loading for. Keeps things simple.

JD

I run 3.1 grains on mine.

As do I from a 5" M&P Pro. Very light load though, and my son can induce and FTE to if he doesnt use good form when holding the gun. Stiff wrists and a tight grip are a must.

The Lyman book loads are a little anemic for 147 LFPs the last I checked. 3.0 to 3.1 @ 1.14" is what I use out of my M&Ps. The 9mm M&P will typically feed basically anything that fits in the mag for me -- I can't tell you about the other guns. It's reasonable to expect a "duty" gun might expect factory powered ammo instead of the wusscake loads we use though.