Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's going on?

Ray_Z

It seems more and more that there are fewer round nose and truncated bullets available for reloading and more flat nose bullets taking their place. Neither of my STIs like them in a 10mm length. FTF seems to be the norm. Is this Uncle Sam shoving something else down our throat? Does anybody have any knowledge of what's going on?

I believe it's more a case of bullet manufacturers providing us

with what we want to purchase (supply and demand).

If everyone buys JHP's, they will manufacture more JHP's ...

If we buy more RN's, then they will manufacture more RN's.

I haven't seen any scarcity of the bullets I prefer, and I haven't

had any FTF's in a LONG time.

It seems more and more that there are fewer round nose and truncated bullets available for reloading and more flat nose bullets taking their place. Neither of my STIs like them in a 10mm length. FTF seems to be the norm. Is this Uncle Sam shoving something else down our throat? Does anybody have any knowledge of what's going on?

Can you provide some insight into what bullets you are referring to? What bullets were you buying/using, that are no longer available?

An STI should have no issues feeding a RNFP bullet in 10mm, given that the gun and makes are setup properly, and OAL is within acceptable limits.

I know of very few true round nose 10mm (.40) bullets, and also very few true flat nose. however RNFPs are widely available, and should feed fine in a pistol that is tuned correctly.

Ray. Buddy. I love a good government conspiracy story but really, they are forcing flat nosed bullets on us?

I don't load .40 but damn near every .40 round I have ever seen was a non round point of some kind.

I haven't seen any shortage, but then I shoot revolver, almost never buy factory and haven't reloaded jacketed pistol ammo since the 90s.

Why would government want to deprive us of the least-effective anti-personnel ammo?

JHP I could see. Remember Winchester Black Talon?

Berry's Bullets has a plated 40 cal. 155 grain Hollow Base Round Nose bullet, as well as a 180 rain Round Nose bullet. We have both on the shelf. In lead, SNS offers a 200 grain round nose bullet, in both hardcast lead and polymer coated bullets. Those are in stock as well.

Ray, there's quite a few things that can cause FTF's ...

Can you be a little more specific with your problem?

Gun & caliber?

Bullet weight, powder charge?

OAL?

Exactly what type of FTF are you experiencing 30% of the time?

What lube are you using on your gun?

Is this all with one mag, or all of your mags?

Have you cleaned the extractor slot lately?

How many rounds on your gun?

Little more info, and we might be able to solve your problem for you?

What type bullets are you looking for? Weight? Caliber? RN???

Berrys makes a 180 gr round shoulder. I had FTF issues with a dan Wesson 40 single stack and before I sorted out some of the other issues the Berrys round shoulder fed reliably.

Ultimately you should be able to solve underlying issues and be able to feed other bullet profiles.

My Dan Wesson SS now feeds bayou coated 180s 100%. I'd call that profile TC and that combined with coated feeding harder than plated or jacketed shows that you can sort out various FTF issues.