Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How big is an IDPA shooting position?

LowPower

Perhaps I missed it in the rule book, but how big is a shooting position in IDPA? Is it arms length from cover and 3 foot circle from an unmarked spot? Is it whatever the match director says it is? Another way to state my confusion is: when does "in the open" stop and "a cover position" begin?

Looking at rule 3.6.4.9 in the IDPA rulebook. Can I just run directly to the right from P7 and stop when I see T8? When am I at P8 position? Is it when I can see T8 or just before I can see T8 (1 foot before, 2 feet before I can see T8, etc)? I need to know when I can start my reload with retention. Must I be at least 5 feet from the wall by P8, how about 3 feet?

If I run straight forward from P7 to the next wall, can I then reload with retention while moving along the wall to P8? Can I start reloading if moving along the wall and I'm 2 feet from the edge at P8?

It seems fault lines and reload anytime make more sense to take away the subjective judging and results in more competitive equity.

It's as defined by the cover rules. There isn't a position except from the start.

According to your example as per the rulebook. Only stationary reloads because there isn't a defined space. SO move to P8 and then reload from that position of cover.

HINT: Try USPSA - you can shoot from anywhere, anytime ....

A LOT more fun ...

If you have something constructive to add concerning IDPA, awesome. But if you're only posting in IDPA threads to promote USPSA, please move along.

Thanks.

Cover, reload positions and size of shooting position is directly related to the size of cover given. A 10' solid wall gives lots of cover for reloads and adjusting cover position, a 2' not much. The general rule we use is what can you see from you position. If you can see more than one target from your position, you are not using proper cover. We do see setups that do not give needed cover for the targets displayed. Example is; engaging targets for the right side of a 2' barricade, you are exposed to the targets on the left. This is usually handled by the judging targets being engaged only , don't worry about what on your backside until you change positions. Another general rule we use is; if you are using proper cover engaging targets, you are still using proper cover to do a reload. No need to jump behind cover completely. I usually stand 2-3 feet from cover as to not to crowd cover. I have witnessed stage setups that required a person to hug cover to engage targets, I do not approve these as they will cause safety issues, usually the firearm passing some part of the body or dangerous reloads.

Crossing an open area; I always rule if all targets are engaged, no open ports or hallways or more simply, nothing that can be engaged in that area, the reload is ok. That opinion is mine. I know the rule book gives and example of moving down a hallway and doing a tac load. again in that area their is nothing to engage, no foul.

I agree that fault lines would make it easier, we do not have that option however. Good stage design makes our job of running stages easier, bad ones makes my head hurt.

One last thought, the round dumping rule was removed, It does give you one more option on reloads, you cannot leave a position of cover with an empty gun, however a slide lock reload is usually quicker. learn the rules and use them to your advantage.

Shot the Tn state match this weekend and they had several stages that could be shot different ways. One stage had up to 9 points of cover which gave a shooter several [4 to 5]different ways to shoot it, but in the end everybody on our squad just shot It one way. 2 other stages was setup so that you could also use the "long" range infinity of cover which most of the better shooters took to save on steps and time to the last position. It is only in the beginning of the stage description to tell you where to start and end at. The "walk through" is where you need to ask where and when can you do a reload, again depending on the stage.

3.6.4.3 When crossing an open area (as shown below between P7 and P8) the shooter may not reload until he/she reaches the next shooting position (the position from which he/she intends to engage the next target.)

This should give you the exact answer to your reload question.

Thanks guys, I've only been shooting a couple of years. I guess I was looking for reaffirmation/clarification. I shot a match where I started shooting "in the open" then just stepped and leaned to the left and shot around a wall 10 feet in front of me. Then I did a reload with retention going toward the wall at the right to shoot the remaining targets. I got a procedural for reloading "in the open" or not at position 3. I couldn't figure out when that magical bubble was when I could do the reload.

Actually, I still don't get it. With 3.5.2, after I peak my head around the wall I can then do a reload with retention, but not if I am 10 feet from the wall. I guess gamers are gonna try to game. lol

"next shooting position (the position from which he/she intends to engage the next target." is an interesting definition. Feet can't move once a reload is done in the next shooting position because it would cause the actual next shooting position.

(I realize I should be practicing draws and calling shots to really get better, just wanted to know).

If you didn't move from where you shot and performed a tac reload, they shouldn't have been able to give you a PE. You were considered "in cover" when you shot, so unless you moved, you were "in cover" when you reloaded.

Thanks guys, I've only been shooting a couple of years. I guess I was looking for reaffirmation/clarification. I shot a match where I started shooting "in the open" then just stepped and leaned to the left and shot around a wall 10 feet in front of me. Then I did a reload with retention going toward the wall at the right to shoot the remaining targets. I got a procedural for reloading "in the open" or not at position 3. I couldn't figure out when that magical bubble was when I could do the reload.

Actually, I still don't get it. With 3.5.2, after I peak my head around the wall I can then do a reload with retention, but not if I am 10 feet from the wall. I guess gamers are gonna try to game. lol

"next shooting position (the position from which he/she intends to engage the next target." is an interesting definition. Feet can't move once a reload is done in the next shooting position because it would cause the actual next shooting position.

(I realize I should be practicing draws and calling shots to really get better, just wanted to know).

You are in the wrong section of the rule book, 3.5 is cover, you need to look in 3.6 Cover and Reloads, IMO the issue is moving toward the wall vs. "moving along a single contiguous piece of cover." My assumption is you were supposed to shoot around the left side of a wall, then move along the wall to the right side and the SO's interpretation of the rule was "toward" is not the same as "along".

If I have an open area with no targets, no ports or openings ( say from a door way to a wall) I allow reloads. It is the same as moving along a wall or hallway, just bigger. I will usually state this in the stage briefing. I will also agree if a position is ok to engage from, you can reload from their, however you may need to stay their until the reload is finished.

^^^ This. Perform a Tac reload, and store on your way to the next position. In reference to shooting from extended cover. I shot a match last week. From P3 I couldn't see the 2nd target (middle target) due to the NT in my way. I'm not very tall at 5' 8". I had to take a big slide step out of P2, and could slice the pie with ease without any chance of hitting the NT. This also saves time from moving to P3. This forced me to take three 20-23 yrd shots vs 7- 10yrd shots, but saved time with -0 on those targets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shot the Tn state match this weekend and they had several stages that could be shot different ways. One stage had up to 9 points of cover which gave a shooter several [4 to 5]different ways to shoot it, but in the end everybody on our squad just shot It one way. 2 other stages was setup so that you could also use the "long" range infinity of cover which most of the better shooters took to save on steps and time to the last position. It is only in the beginning of the stage description to tell you where to start and end at. The "walk through" is where you need to ask where and when can you do a reload, again depending on the stage.

I think we all shot it the same way since it was perceived as the fastest way.