Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650xl tool head loose, big OAL shift

My tool head (factory Dillon cast tool head) is moving about 15 thousands (guessing, magnetic base dial indicator at work) and my OAL shift is Huge. Will the aftermarket ones from places like uniquetech fix this issue!? I've got to get it straightened out ASAP.

The tool head is always pressed upwards when seating, so I don't see how it could affect your OAL. But if it bothers you, you can shim it one way or the other. I Heli-Coiled the tool head, and replaced the pins with screws which hold the head tight to the top, eliminating the slop.

I think slop or a warped case holder would be more likely.

I dimpled the side of the tool head with a punch and it was very snug, while it was snug it was amazingly consistent, after a few rounds it loosened back up and the OAL shift was right back.

I just finished loading on my 650 with the "floppy" tool head with pins when I saw this, so I just checked 20 rounds, and the OAL deviation was.002".

You've got something else going on there...

Why does it go away when the tool head is tight? All dies are tight and I'm not doing anything odd. OAL goes from 1.129-1.145 extreme spread to extreme spread.

Edited by ShortBus

I started a thread on another forum about this.

Are you using mixed brass?

I never really got any input that satisfied my questioning.

My deveation was about .005 on avg but had a few that were .010.

I just chalk it up to once fired mixed brass, shell plate slop, tool head slop, and maybe inconsistent down stroke on the press.

All those together contribute slightly. Add them up.

Now if you're getting .016 that's a little much.

What kind of brass? Bullets?

Assuming the primers are seated deap enough to not stick out causing greater OAL.

Any chance your calipers are the problem?

Edited by B_RAD

i insert a thin piece of cardboard into the right or left side rail then slide the tool head in ; it's pretty snug doesn't move upward at all.

also if the lock ring on the seating or crimping die aren't tightened correctly you may get like 0.005 maybe a little more variation.

Edited by sigsauerfan

Mr Bus,

you may want to check the compatibility of your seating die with the profile bullets you are using,. If it is pushing on the sides of the bullet and not the tip, the OAL can vary more than just from tool head slack. I have been using a 650 for many years. I have never tried any of the "fixes" that are available and typically see no more than 0.005 variation and usually less.

Later,

Chuck

Locking rings are tight, not sure if they need to be torqued to a certain spec?

The dating die SEEMS to be hitting center. I took it out and messed with the insert and measured some bullets in it while I had it out. I also flipped it to the flat point side but that took the coating off the tip of the bullet. Gonna mess with it some more tomorrow, thinking about checking the run-out of the shell plate too. Not real sure what to do. No way I'm going to keep that much deviation between my burrets!

In my experience the clamped billet whidden toolhead from uniquetek did improve oal consistency a little. The main thing it improved is feel. I can literally feel brass being sized by the carbide ring in the die. I understand the logic that says it shouldn't matter but a tighter fitting billet head that is clamped with bolts works for me.

It's not a massive cost so I say give one a try. :)

Locking rings are tight, not sure if they need to be torqued to a certain spec?

The dating die SEEMS to be hitting center. I took it out and messed with the insert and measured some bullets in it while I had it out. I also flipped it to the flat point side but that took the coating off the tip of the bullet. Gonna mess with it some more tomorrow, thinking about checking the run-out of the shell plate too. Not real sure what to do. No way I'm going to keep that much deviation between my burrets!

The flat point die was hitting the tip of the bullet. Try it on a few dummies and measure the OAL. You will probably find that they are more consistent than what you have been seeing. That variation is probably the best you are going to see with that press. The other end of the seating is probably just pushing on the sides of the bullet. The additional variance that you are seeing is likely due to minor variations in the bullet profile. Try some FMJs and see if you get the same result. Or,if you are loading for pistol, don't worry about it. ;)

The flat point was hitting the tip, but it was leaving a big ring in the top of the bullet and taking a good bit of coating off.

Shooting bullets that have .020 swings in OAL is not an option.

Here is my experience.

I was having the same issue. It was especially bad with Xtreme plated RN, Dimpling and all. I also had the OAL variance for all bullets in 3 calibers.

I added the UniqueTek clamp kit, and it reduced my variance down to no more than .003. I have them on all 5 of my tool heads.

I would like to add that I purchased a recent build Dillon 650 tool head, and it looks like they made a design change.

The original head has a tongue that measured .370. I purchased a new one a couple of months back, and noticed the tongue looked different.

First it had a 45* camfer about .125" wide around the top of the tongue. the tongue itself measured .380" thick. So, it is .010" thicker, and has a camfer to facilitate insertion into the press.

When inserted, it had almost no movement in the press, while the original .370 had quite a bit of up and down movement.

Has anyone else noticed this change in the 650 tool heads?

I made a shim from a coke can,,flatten coke can cut pieces with tin snips or razor knife..It will fit right in between tool head and top of machine.

Cut shim 1/4" wide about 3" long

Just the obvious stuff, just in case...

Yes, for measuring purposes I don't measure the first few rounds or the last few rounds.

Yeah, only compare the rounds that were made when ALL the stations are full.

After that, handle travel?