Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag coupler for VEPR12/Saiga/Akdal vs. Extended length mags

EDA

Anyone routinely use a coupler instead of a custom 20+ shell mag for their magfed shotgun? I grabbed a couple Buffer Tech Magcinchs for my VEPR12 to couple 2 factory 10-rounders together. They are solid! A bit slower than a full-extended round mag, but gives an option for transitioning types of rounds quickly and still retaining?

I had a pair of 10s coupled, found that the single mags work better. Plus I didn't have to have that shell stop hanging off the side..it got in the way a lot.

Jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

They both have their place. Switching between bird shot and slugs are easy with coupled mags but with no slugs long mags work best for me. Hardest part is figuring out how to carry everything. I have a leg holster that I've never really used because it's uncomfortable and doesn't really hold the mags that well.

I use both long mags and coupled for my R&R Saiga. I have a 20, a 17, a coupled 12 using Arredondo's coupler and a bunch of 12 singles. Coupled 12 is good for stages where I have to switch from shot to buck or slug.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

Machined these new couplers this evening. Changed the design to take out and play and line the mags up accurately. The one with the cap on holds 20, the other holds 24. Bolt won't lock back on the 24 rounder. Ran a few rounds through them tonight with no problems.

post-29808-0-95453800-1466035747_thumb.j

Edited by bmiller

Brian, you did exactly what I wanted to do with a Saiga 12 rd magazine on the bottom of a Firebired FP-15 magazine.

A company named Maghack indicated they would "soon" offer the Saiga to Saiga coupler, but after watching their site for several years, I don't thing it will be coming out anytime soon.

www.maghack.com

They both have their place. Switching between bird shot and slugs are easy with coupled mags but with no slugs long mags work best for me. Hardest part is figuring out how to carry everything. I have a leg holster that I've never really used because it's uncomfortable and doesn't really hold the mags that well.

Right on. I liked coupled mags for switching back and forth.

Pat

• 2 months later...

I really need to check this forum more often lol. 

I made the 20 round big stick Vepr 12 video when HigherCapacity was still in business(The makers of the coupler). They seem to have fallen off the face of the earth. Website vanished.

If you need a ready to go big stick RIGHT NOW, you can get one from Dissident Arms : http://dissidentarms.com/index.php/store/

I will be beta testing some couplers very soon for a good friend of mine ;) 

That will be good for people that already have SGM laying around. All you need is the coupler and an R&R 20 round spring, and then you can just follow the instructions in my video:

Also I have tried the mag cinch couplers and they do work pretty damn well. Very sturdy. And they can sure take some abuse. I keep a couple of OEM 10 rounders on hand as they are just so buttery smooth on the reloads, although I will eventually make the switch to tuned up SGM's. I haven't tried coupled mags for mixing slugs and shot quite yet. I tend to just live on the edge and use the Matt Loganbill strategy - load my big stick with mixed ammo in the order I need to shoot :) It sucks if you miss. But it is sweet if you don't. The coupled mags might be good if you happen to start in a car or some confined space/etc.  

Edited by VforVandetta