Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading in the garage - Primer / Powder storage?

38SuperDub

Hey guys,

So I think the wife is finally about to win the battle and the reloading bench is going to be moved out to the garage in our new house. The question / suggestion that I need is what to do with primers / powder. Here in Houston the humidity can get pretty high and even though the garage is insulated I'm wondering what's the best option.

Is there some sort of container I can buy / build and put a dehumidifying rod in? Should I stand my ground and take over some closet space? Is it OK and I'm just over-reacting?

Thanks!

Humidity won't affect the primers, depending on how many rounds you load in a certain time period may affect powder in the hopper, but powder in the original jugs should last indefinitely.

I've been reloading in the garage for years....Never had a problem...

Awesome - however did you see where I was asking about powder and primer storage?

Yes....

I keep all my powder and primers in the garage also. I just keep everything in the original containers until needed.

In my case, primers and powder are stored in original containers in opposite corners of the garage and away from the electrical breaker box.

I've been told that temperature swings (especially to the high side) will adversely affect powder but I'm yet to see it make a noticeable difference.

I have floor to ceiling metal shelves and keep everything on the top shelf. Should it ever go bang, the main blast direction will be through the roof.

I have been reloading in the garage for decades. I also live in Houston I do not load during the summer. I load enough ammo in all calibers to sustain my habit though the hot months.

All my primers are kept in air tight ammo boxes in a filing cabinet in a bedroom. The powder is in original containers in a cardboard box in the top of a closet.

I was told by those that know more about this than I do that the extreme heat will degrade powder over time. My garage will hit 110f at times. If you use up your powder every year or so it probably will not make a difference. I bought enough to last an election or two so mine is stored in the house.

I reload in Houston in the garage. Powder and primers are in a cabinet at the bench in factory packaging. No issues in 5 years.

But I am gonna move my powders and primers away for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, reloading in a hot/humid garage would be a distraction and I don't need distractions when I reload.

Dude, there ain't nothing you can do to beat the humidity on the gulf coast. Well, 'cept staying inside with the bought air 355+ days per year.

Like Flat said, a nice fan or cross breeze helps greatly.

Edited by SCTaylor

Haha well there you go! I wish we had the space to load inside but no dice. I just try to do the bulk of my loading October through March. During the warmer months, early am or later after the sun goes down to beat the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SCTaylor

I have a very understanding wife who suggested that I use the guest bedroom for my reloading. I'm not really sure that she intended for me to also use every drawer in the dresser and the entire closet for my supplies but I figured that was a given.

I have to load in the garage, but I bought an attractive shelf with storage containers to keep my primers and powder in the house. It looks so nice in the dining room, and nobody will ever notice. BTW I live in Mobile, AL so I truly understand your heat and humidity issue.