Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS Orange compared to Shadow 2

scubadds

As I will never get a side by side comparison of these two, can someone help point out the differences (or expected differences) in these two models?

Does the Orange have similar frame changes? (lower bore axis) Is the Orange made in the "old" machinery vs the Shadow 2 on newer machinery?

I am trying to research but it seems these models require a base knowledge of CZ's to contrast....as the descriptions refer to other models that I have not shot. (like the Czechmate)

It appears that the barrel is shorter on the Shadow 2 (converting off the CZ website, but I know they aren't always correct)

and the Shadow 2 is DA/SA

I threw my name on one of the waitlists for the Shadow 2, but it seems the Oranges are popping up here and there....

Thanks in advance

TS Orange is single action, and made for Limited.... Shadow 2 is DA/SA and for Production, etc..... different beasts.

If it's made for limited only ones I've seen for sale are in 9mm ,that's CZ Europe, interesting, plus thumb rest wouldn't be legal ,or would it?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TS Orange is an upgraded TS - made for IPSC standard division and meant to be bought in .40 for major

The shadow 2 is a new shadow, based on the SP01 service pistol and designed for production division in 9mm.

They are completely different guns - although there is also an upgraded Orange version of the original 9mm shadow as well

Sent by Jedi mind control

thanks

I saw the da/sa vs SA on the Cz website....

I was wondering if the frames were the same; or if the Shadow 2 was a new frame (I thought I read they were new shaped moulds or forgings)

• 2 months later...

Anybody shooting a TS Orange?

Impressions?

Am thinking I would need to ditch the *thumb rest [generic]* if one ever escaped to my side of the pond, I'm guessing you could do that without the gun looking hinky ?

PS - liked it better before the forum software screwed around with names like thumb rest, I can type stuff weird without help

Edited by IHAVEGAS

I can't compare to a shadow 2 but I've got a regular TS where I've removed the waffle checkering. The TS Orange grip length is shorter and between that and the go pedal it feels like a different gun. More control laterally. I feel like my front sight wags a bit unless I'm really locked into form. But the better checking, reduced length from under beaver tail to under trigger, plus the go pedal make the TS Orange feel more stable.

I can't compare to a shadow 2 but I've got a regular TS where I've removed the waffle checkering. The TS Orange grip length is shorter and between that and the go pedal it feels like a different gun. More control laterally. I feel like my front sight wags a bit unless I'm really locked into form. But the better checking, reduced length from under beaver tail to under trigger, plus the go pedal make the TS Orange feel more stable.

I'm going to be going back and forth a little bit between a CZ 75 CTS (Production) and the TS Orange (Limited). That assumes that I live long enough to actually be able to purchase a TSO.

Any opinion on whether the grip geometry is similar between the two?

Well I have one sitting here, but since I have been shooting open this year it is doing just that sitting. I have yet to fire a single round out of it.

One rule of business is to limit how much you torment your customers.

:)

CTS is based on the 75 SA frame. Grip angle is very similar. Both feel great like all metal framed CZ's. Grip is more consistent on a limited division gun compared to a long DA trigger reach. The under cut beaver tail on the TSO has been very impressive in how it locks my strong hand into the frame. The go pedal stabilizes my lateral front sight wobble.

To get a grip comparison before you order, find a dealer with:

- 75 single action (same as CTS frame)

- Czechmate (same as TSO frame)

Beyond that, it's too hard to help you contrast guns built for different divisions! If you want something soon, I'd suggest ordering the CTS with a slide in 40 and add a 9mm barrel fitted. Then you could play in production and limited with the same gun!

Or get a Czechmate since TSO's seem to be more rare than anyone expected. You could buy a TS slide in 40 from CZC and have all the goodness of a TSO frame.

Edited by IronicTwitch

I have the CTS Shadow and the TSO.

Both have their places. I have fired about 10k out of my CTS and absolutely love the feeling of that gun. In production it just sits still and runs. It is a different breed of animal. It is a production gun and a darn fine one at that. If you wanted to run limited with this you would be at a round count disadvantage. That being said if I were to shoot 3 gun I would run this gun with magwell and 140 mags.

The TSO I got to make holsters. I am looking forward to shooting a match or two after Nationals. I will build my own holster and run it a few matches. It just feels amazingly well also. The thumb rest is just right.

Or get a Czechmate since TSO's seem to be more rare than anyone expected. You could buy a TS slide in 40 from CZC and have all the goodness of a TSO frame.

Except that, one of the main draws to the CZ's for me is the price.

It is likely a weird thing, but if I have high quality (performance not bling, bling is wasted on me) at what I consider a fair or good price then I've got this pride of ownership thing going on.

Although, if I had any use for an open gun the Czechmate option would rock.

It is likely a weird thing, but if I have high quality (performance not bling, bling is wasted on me) at what I consider a fair or good price then I've got this pride of ownership thing going on.

I'm like that as well. However I still justify buying a TS Orange as it is basically like buying a high end 'production line' 2011 like a DVC Limited, except at less than half the price (here in Canada at least).

I'm like that as well. However I still justify buying a TS Orange as it is basically like buying a high end 'production line' 2011 like a DVC Limited, except at less than half the price (here in Canada at least).

So, there are two of us :) .

• 1 year later...

I have both the TSO in 9mm and the Shadow 2. I was planning on shooting the TSO in 3 gun and the Shadow 2 in production. My round of choice is a 147gr extreme plated at 130 pf out of the shadow 2 and 133+ in the TSO. For the load I'm using the Cajun 12lb recoil springs. 

Pound for pound there are things I like about the TSO and things I don't. I love the way the pistol shoots with the *thumb rest [generic]* and the right load. I replaced the plastic flat trigger with a metal replacement and the trigger rocks. She produces 2" 5 round groups at 25 yards under bench rest conditions. This is a set of five,  five round groups averaged edge to edge. 

Fast splits and easy control of the muzzle are its strong points. It's accuracy edges out my shadow 2 but that is barrel to barrel specific. 

Now the cons. 

The safety does not come back far enough for my thumbs to hit 100% and the new shadow 2 safety fits that bill in the TSO. 

The orange color is not my cup of tea and has been switched. 

Every screw backs out after the first hundred rounds. Lock tite those babes. There is only one choice for holster for 3 gun at this time and red hill tactical makes a great product but you are limited. The magwell needs blending. The mags are a pain to load stock. 

Shadow 2 swings faster. The mags on the shadow 2 are easier to find and easier to mess with. At the end of the day I may just shoot the shadow 2 in 3 gun and production and not mess with all the little things with the TSO. 

We did muzzle to muzzle rise comparisons and the Shadow 2 came out on top with tunes springs and ammo. 

Old thread resurrection!

I ended up putting the TSO away once summer IPSC season got going this year, and I never pulled it back out.  I just think I am better off sticking to one pistol for IPSC and 3gun, rather than switching back and forth depending on what match I am shooting that weekend.  The one practice session I did pull out the TSO for, mid summer, I felt I could shoot my S2 better due to the familiarity I'd built with it, so there was no advantage.  And with parts available to put 23 rounds in a 140mm S2 mag, I don't think there is a capacity advantage either.

Edited by adamge