Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you suggest?

MHitchcock

Looking for suggestions on an open pistol. I know this has probably been asked many times, but each person's situation is slightly different so here it goes:

I am new to shooting sports in general and have been shooting production in my first two USPSA matches. It is way more fun that I ever thought it would be and I have a lot of learning to do. That being said. I have a 22/45 with a side mounted c-more 2.25lb trigger etc that I shoot in rimfire challenge that is an absolute blast. I am planning on focusing on production for at least a few seasons. However, I am entertaining the idea of picking up an open pistol to develop a load and get a handle on the shooting experience (and to shoot on the odd occasions our local USPSA will let us run in more than one division).

My thinking is to pick up something like a used Trubore in 38sc or 9mm. Then I can have a 90 degree c-more mount (similar to sight on the 22/45) on a relatively inexpensive (for open) gun that can serve as a back up gun if I go all-in and get a custom one built in the future.

Does this seem like a realistic way of going about things? Or should I be waiting and getting a custom gun built down the road (i.e. getting one built in a few years after gaining some more experience in production).

Any input is appreciated!

Go for it. A cheap used open 2011 in either 9 or super is a good start. Later when you've shot if a while you can buy a nice new custom with the features you want.

It doesn't have to be a trubor though. They are fine but don't exclude other second hand 2011s from known builders like Akai, cheely, freedom, sv, limcat etc etc. they are often great value used too. :)

There are many in this sport who insist beginners belong in Production, but I disagree. There are great shooters in each division and each division presents it's own challenges, it's very obvious you want to shoot Open, I recommend you shoot Open. I don't mean "commence dabbling in Open when you have the chance to shoot two guns", I mean scour the classifieds, ask around the club, find a good deal on a used Open gun and jump in!

If you get stuck in a rut you can always shoot Production to change things up, but don't expect that to happen for a few years ;)

There are many in this sport who perpetuate the idea you have to put in time and earn your chops in a "lesser division" before you can shoot a big fancy Open gun, but I strongly disagree. Like I said above, there are no lesser divisions. We play this sport for fun, so have fun!

I do eventually want to shoot open, but I am pretty set on spending some time in production. Stage planning on 10 rounds and learning to shoot well with both eyes open on standard sights are something I want to get down. I already have very good gear for production and there will never be a point where my gear is keeping me from performing. I want to be able to make 'A' before I dive into another division full time. I have a lot of dry firing and practice before that. Getting something now is more for the sake of getting some experience loading major ammo and working on my grip on a 2011 platform in the mean time.

Forget the open gun and focus on production. You can build or buy an open gun later.

+1 Exactly. No sense learning how to shoot two entirely different

platforms at the same time.

If you're planning on shooting OPEN in 3 years - buy the OPEN gun in

2 1/2 years.

If you insist, YES, a used TruBor, in 9mm Major, is The Perfect Way

to get into OPEN. :cheers:

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying an Open gun now. Go for it. I agree with ka that there is no reason you should not shoot in any division you wanted. If you want to stay in P for a while, fine. That does not mean that you can't work out the kinks in a new/used pistol, learn how to use it and develop loads for it. Shooting it may be a revelation. It will certainly be fun.

I shoot everything; some sanctioned, some not. I'm fortunate to have enough pistols to permit this. Shooting multiple formats, in the same or different matches is a learning experience. It expands your horizons. So buy and use whatever you want, regardless of the division you choose to compete in.

+1 for whatever you choose...

I'm about 1 step behind u.

Falling in love with uspsa. I run glocks, but not liking them so much for competition... Was just about ready to delve into the tanfo's and managed to get an rmr on my g19 for a fun...

So now in torn, I love shooting with a red dot. Managed to shoot a 5" Sti open gun and loved it. But I really like the idea of production and the mag changes and strategy.

(P.s. I like the idea of tanfo's and 2011s because I like tinkering and feel like I could do 90% of my own gunsmithing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for it. A cheap used open 2011 in either 9 or super is a good start. Later when you've shot if a while you can buy a nice new custom with the features you want.

It doesn't have to be a trubor though. They are fine but don't exclude other second hand 2011s from known builders like Akai, cheely, freedom, sv, limcat etc etc. they are often great value used too. :)

Mark my words: once you get an Open gun in your safe, that's what you're going to want to shoot, accept the power of the dark side! :devil:

+1 for these.

I was talking to the OP who said "It is way more fun that I ever thought it would be and I have a lot of learning to do. That being said. I have a 22/45 with a side mounted c-more 2.25lb trigger etc that I shoot in rimfire challenge that is an absolute blast."

"That being said" is a dead giveaway :)

Out of curiosity, why haven't you shot any Open classifiers Grump?

Edited by kneelingatlas

Mark my words: once you get an Open gun in your safe, that's what you're going to want to shoot, accept the power of the dark side! :devil:

My Limited gun acquired a complete Open top end several months ago. Guess which one it wears most often. (Open)

I was talking to the OP who said "It is way more fun that I ever thought it would be and I have a lot of learning to do. That being said. I have a 22/45 with a side mounted c-more 2.25lb trigger etc that I shoot in rimfire challenge that is an absolute blast."

"That being said" is a dead giveaway :)

Out of curiosity, why haven't you shot any Open classifiers Grump?

I like Production....I have shot the open guns in steel challenge though...

One caveat...2 of the open guns are small frame P9 guns....mag capacity keeps those out...the other is a Trubor in 38 super...but i just like shooting Production...

When I was getting into open, I was planning on getting a trubor and adding the "creature features" that I wanted. I wound up getting lucky and found a like new (less than 500rds) CK arms hardcore for less money than a tuned up trubor would've cost me. Wayyyyy better gun and had enough money left over to buy a few MBX mags. Deals on "custom" guns are out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I just sold both of my stock2 recently to concentrate in open division and help me fund another open build but thats comes after I made A in production now I'm at 83% in production. I bought my first open gun from a forum member on here just to learn from it while I was heavily into production. Things I learnt from shooting open have helped me a lot in production since some of the stuffs you can't really see or do in production.

And now I've decided to stay in open so I sold both of my production guns. Like everyone else said once you're gone open you don't want to go back.

:-( I would have possibly taken one of your stock ii's. I need a backup :)

I am planning on it. Shot my 3rd match ever (super classifier) as the first time shooting 2 eyes open in a match. Think I made C in both limited and production. Hopefully can drag myself into B (or close to it) by the end of the season. I have a lot of dry fire and live fire to do to make that happen though. Wish I had gotten into shooting sports earlier in life.