Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apeiro Slide Modification - Request for photoshop, or 3D modeling help

I have an Apeiro, and I would like to add some combination of Slide lightening/customization and front cocking serrations, but I am having a really hard time finding any past examples. I'm looking to find out if anyone out there has any examples.

I would also be really interested to see what some of the ideas that I have would look like. Sadly I no longer have access to 3D cad software so I cant model it myself, and my sketching skills only get me so far. If anyone out there that has these capabilities would be willing to make up a model and post some images that would be awesome. If you are a Photoshop wizard and could help me visualize what my ideas will look like, that would be really helpful too!

Ideas:

1. I would like to have the frame cut back to the 'Butler Cut' length with the cut being parallel to the grip angle. The slide will also have to be cut (ball cut?) to match the dust cover. Then I would be curious to see what the normal STI Edge cocking serrations would look like on the front (same angle as the cut on the dust cover). I would also like to cut elongated ovals (ports) thru the depressions in the front cocking serrations to lighten the slide and allow view of the barrel through the slide. I would also like a High Power cut from the front of the cocking serrations to the end of the slide. I will also tritop the slide/barrel to remove a little more weight, and give it a more aggressive look.

2. My second idea would be mostly similar to above but instead of mimicking the Edge front cocking serrations, what if you made the cuts the same as the ones on the rear of the Apeiro slide, but kept them straight in stead of being a circular cut? (same angle again as the butler cut) Looks like they basically take an end mill angle it about 20 Degrees, then cut so that the deepest point of the cut is about 0.050" deep.

Thoughts? Pictures? Renderings?

Thanks,

Eli

These are literally the only images of an Apeiro with any front cocking serrations I have ever been able to find on the web and none of them are really what I'm looking for. If anyone has any other photos or links please post them here!

post-24187-0-26433700-1450902940.jpg

post-24187-0-46597500-1456350040.jpg

post-24187-0-61559900-1456350325.jpg

Edited by EngineerEli

So after some research it appears the rear apeiro serrations are two quarter circular cuts that are cut on a slight angle to make the cut taper towards the front. They are not much different in fact than the regular saw tooth serrations you see more often, but they do leave a small flat between the cuts and seem to cut deeper and on an angle that makes the cut area wider than most saw tooth serrations I have seen.

I do have access to so 2D cad so I have been playing with that a bit. Here are a few drawings of my ideas. The drawings are NOT to scale, just messing around for now. I drew up what the same style cuts could look like on the normal 110 degree angle, and also what a larger radiused cut would look like intersecting the top and bottom of the slide at the same points as the straight cuts.

Which do you guys like better? Any other ideas? Is a gunsmith going to be able to make these style of cuts?

post-33893-0-61039800-1462905142_thumb.j

I have these on the hand guard of my AR, they are called RailScales they are super grippy when pulled on from one direction and smooth going the other way, I always thought this dragon scale pattern would be a cool on a slide but I have no idea how a smith would mill it. Just a suggestion :devil:

G-K-DR.2-BLK-2-2.jpg?1457453789

That's kind of like the cocking serrations they use on the M&P's and other S&W 1911's. Definitely cool looking and I would think very functional, but not sure how they would look alongside the Saber tooth rear serrations...

So after some research it appears the rear apeiro serrations are two quarter circular cuts that are cut on a slight angle to make the cut taper towards the front. They are not much different in fact than the regular saw tooth serrations you see more often, but they do leave a small flat between the cuts and seem to cut deeper and on an angle that makes the cut area wider than most saw tooth serrations I have seen.

I do have access to so 2D cad so I have been playing with that a bit. Here are a few drawings of my ideas. The drawings are NOT to scale, just messing around for now. I drew up what the same style cuts could look like on the normal 110 degree angle, and also what a larger radiused cut would look like intersecting the top and bottom of the slide at the same points as the straight cuts.

Which do you guys like better? Any other ideas? Is a gunsmith going to be able to make these style of cuts?

front cocking serration ideas.jpg

Id say that would look pretty close myself!!

Don't do dragon scales on a slide! I had that done to an M&P for carry. I was so excited when I got it I grabbed and racked the slide and cut my hand wide open.

A little grip would do it. Took some sand paper and paint (and band aids) before I even tried again

Don't do dragon scales on a slide! I had that done to an M&P for carry. I was so excited when I got it I grabbed and racked the slide and cut my hand wide open.

A little grip would do it. Took some sand paper and paint (and band aids) before I even tried again

I would think any cuts you do would require shot blasting the slide afterwards to break the sharp edges, or exactly what you say would happen...

Pinch the front and rack it the same way I did with a Glock.

I even saw one savage put a piece of skate tape on the front. He assured me he takes it off and cleans up the residue before he posts pics on the internet.

The grip tape is certainly an option, but call me nuts, I'd prefer something a little more polished looking. I'm one of those guys that enjoys customizing my guns, working up reloads, and shooting all somewhat evenly.

I have tried using it as it is, but have had occasional short strokes while trying to rack the slide. Glocks have a more textured surface, but the sides of the Apeiro slide are brushed then polished stainless. Even the smallest bit of grease or oil on the slide and with a 12lb spring, you run the chance of your fingers slipping.

Download the free trial of Creo Elements, which is basically Pro/E. I downloaded it and had people cutting me parts from the .stl files in a day. It's a pretty powerful tool for a free demo. What you lose is the ability to save other common file types.

I have 2 Apeiro pistols. I have thumb rest on mine which makes front serrations useless. I would think the only thing that would look good would be to use the same serations that are on the rear on the front.

Those 3D cuts are really cool looking, but honestly I prefer the slightly more traditional looking cuts/serrations.

The one other though I have is that I could do something like STI does on their Steel Master...

steel-master.jpg

Maybe something like a combination of these cuts in combination with the panel cut in the second image? I definitely want to make sure first and foremost that the front cocking serrations function well. Aesthetics and slide lightening are certainly added benefits I would like to have though.

post-33893-0-04821100-1463410170_thumb.j

post-33893-0-24550300-1463410158_thumb.j

That was not what I was thinking, but is a very cool idea! I was thinking just cutting the serrations deeper so the whole cut goes all the way through the side of the slide.

My original plan was to get and edge then cut it up, so this was my original sketch. I may consider trying to incorporate some of those features, like the panel cuts, into my new plan. It is just hard with the rear Sabertooth serrations on the Apeiro.

post-33893-0-81293400-1463418719_thumb.j

• 1 month later...