Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 primer seating help

I just received my XL650 and starting setting it up. My primers are seating what seems to appear flush. Not slightly below the case.

So this my first time reloading. I had it set up with .38 super comp from Dillon. So....here my issue, I don't think I'm pushing the handle all the way forward to the stop. It does feel like it's going all the way to the stop like it normally does when just dry running it.

Am I being a little girl? I am using CCI small rifle primers in new Starline brass.

Should I continue to push the handle all the way forward, it should have been set up from the factory correct, correct?

your ceiling and hearing are the only things in danger.

but you are not likely to pop off the primer by pressing harder.

edited 'cause it posted before I was ready

Edited by Miranda

one of my first threads...
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41979

my post #6
...snip
the solution is the same, seat primer deeper.
how does that line from starwars go?
"use more force, dork"

unsnip....

ho straightravage

you can press pretty hard on a primer and not set it off.

read that old thread it has a lot of good advice in it

press the primer in until it stops. that is far enough.

you have not pressed hard enough yet.

and take all those rounds and disassemble them

before you re-press the primer.

... or throw them away...

at least some will not fire.

miranda

I just received my XL650 and starting setting it up. My primers are seating what seems to appear flush. Not slightly below the case.

So this my first time reloading. I had it set up with .38 super comp from Dillon. So....here my issue, I don't think I'm pushing the handle all the way forward to the stop. It does feel like it's going all the way to the stop like it normally does when just dry running it.

Am I being a little girl? I am using CCI small rifle primers in new Starline brass.

Should I continue to push the handle all the way forward, it should have been set up from the factory correct, correct?

Make sure the primer ram is tightened all the way. Some times they are loose and may cause primers not to seat all the way. Give it a check.

You can use the finished ammo bin as a stop point once you find the right place. Use a spring loaded hand clamp to hold the bin secure in the right place and just bump it when seating the primer. Works great for a reference point.

Learn the "two-step push" technique... On the downstroke, pause slightly when you feel the primer touch the primer pocket, then with one smooth firm push, feel the primer bottom out in the primer pocket.

Learn the "two-step push" technique... On the downstroke, pause slightly when you feel the primer touch the primer pocket, then with one smooth firm push, feel the primer bottom out in the primer pocket.

Yeah this is the way to go.

That is exactly how I have been doing it too - first feel the engagement, then drive it in.

The common problem is to just push, not allowing the primer to align with the pocket, which usually leads to crooked primer.

That is exactly how I have been doing it too - first feel the engagement, then drive it in.

The common problem is to just push, not allowing the primer to align with the pocket, which usually leads to crooked primer.

:cheers:

This also gives you a chance to feel for crimped primer pockets, I keep this handy little reamer tool on the bench to the right of the press, grab crimped brass, ream it and put it right back pretty quickly.