Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major, AA#7, unburnt powder.

thompsoncustom

Well my open gun seems to do a pretty good job of moving bullets, I make Major with 6.0gr of Autocomp and 6.3gr of Powerpistol with the 5.25in barrel and 124gr bullets so I decided I needed a slower powder to help workout my SJC 11 port comp (not on a glock).

I've only started using AA#7 but it seems to leave some unburnt powder in the barrel so I'm looking for advice on primer preference or other ways to help clean it up. It's not crazy dirty or anything at 8.5gr but I was thinking maybe a really hot primer would clean things up and help get better consistency over the chronograph.

I have a couple different primers for testing Fed SP, CCI, and Win SP mag. Would there be any difference in running the standard ones vs small pistol magnum vs Small Rifle Magnum, and so on.

You need to push AA7 a bit to help with the unburnt powder. I was at 9.6gr with a 124jhp in my open gun. It was around 173 PF. Don't get caught up with just making major and load to what works your gun the best.

Also worth trying is dialing in a tad more crimp.

Sometimes this will help bring the pressure up for a more complete burn of the powder. Be sure to check for accuracy to see if it is affected if you decide to add a little more crimp.

Must be using a coated bullet? I'm somewhere around 10 grains of #7 in 9 major.

I had someone who had the quickload? program and he stated that only (IIRC) 83% of the powder was being burned.

I've tried pistol, rifle, and magnum primers and it didn't seem to make much of a difference in the burn. PF was slightly different between them, though.

Edited by al503

You need to push AA7 a bit to help with the unburnt powder. I was at 9.6gr with a 124jhp in my open gun. It was around 173 PF. Don't get caught up with just making major and load to what works your gun the best.

Yeah, what he said. I use a 125 blue bullet and it worked well with that. I just have to finalize a load.

Well i just weighted some bullets out they seem to average 128gr so i loaded some up with 8.7gr that should put it at around 172pf so will see what that does. How high do you guys go to develop a better load 180pf seems pretty high tho i have pushed a couple 128gr just over 1400fps.

I load 10.6 of accurate #7 for a 115 JHP at 1.165 , it gives me about a 173 Pf but is still very dirty. Larger dia. bullets help such as. 356 or. 357 but mag primers did nothing.

in 9x19.. aka 9mm?