Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Division shotties at Nationals

Neomet

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion, Nationals does not seem to favor mag fed guns. The round counts and movement allowed for the tube guns to easily keep up.

Edit - going from memory:

Jerry = tube

Kalani = saiga

Nick = 1919

Jacob = unsure

Gibson = tube with xrail x2

Brian = normally shoots 1919 but ran his tube gun due to my opening statement.

Edited by bishop414

My opinion, Nationals does not seem to favor mag fed guns. The round counts and movement allowed for the tube guns to easily keep up.

Edit - going from memory:

Jerry = tube

Kalani = saiga

Nick = 1919

Jacob = unsure

Gibson = tube with xrail x2

Brian = normally shoots 1919 but ran his tube gun due to my opening statement.

Jacob shoots a Benelli with an xrail.

has the X rail kind of negated the advantages of the mag fed guns now? I mean decent capacity shotgun mags are pretty cumbersome to handle, and there's no easy way to top up a 2 or 4 shells quickly?

with the x rail you get what? 25+ rounds? and can still easily top up just like a 'regular' tube gun?

having not handled one I've no idea if carrying those 25+ rounds under the barrel make it more difficult to wield but I assume it is something of a trade off being capacity vs weight. the big mags on the saiga's etc don't exactly look dainty either...

To get an idea of what an Xrail feels like racertape a box of shells to the end of your shotgun. I didn't care for it but there are plenty who will trade the weight for capacity.

Big mags small mags make almost no difference in how the gun handles, it stays pretty well balanced. Our new 28 round mag is getting on the heavy side.

As for stage times, it really depends on who/how the target arrays are laid out. If there are arrays of 12 or less with several feet of movement before the next, both are close to the same speed.

If you have an all SG stage with continuous presentation of targets, mag fed will dominate.

Hey its Jacob..#4 on the list...I shoot an XRail equipped Benelli. I extended the main tube with an extension and it now holds 30 plus one. It has been very reliable and does offer some advantages. One being the ability to throw a determined amount of slugs in and continue with the stage much like a regular tube gun. Some planning is involved and possible downloading slightly to make sure the tube it is currently on is almost empty and has the capacity to take the load. With the new integrated system the weight is balanced across the shotgun nicely. One disclaimer...I am also 6'3" and 320 lbs so the weight of the shells and gun may be less of a factor for my frame

Thanks

Jacob

Make sure you get the part during make ready where you kiss your "Lucky Shell" :surprise:

Joking aside, I've seen Jacob run his integrated X-Rail Benelli and he's not exaggerating when he says the weight of the gun is not a problem for him. Dude is an animal with a shotgun. :bow: